The Congo, Nile, and Niger Rivers
The lifelines of Africa.
- The Congo River is located in western central Africa.
- It begins in central Africa, near Lake Tanganyika, and flows west through the tropical rain forest.
- The Congo River is the second largest river in Africa.
- It’s over 3,000 miles long.
- The Nile River is located in eastern Africa.
- It starts in East Burundi and flows northward and empties into the Mediterranean Sea.
- The Nile is the world’s longest river at 4,150 miles.
- It provides water for Sudan and Egypt.
- It’s an important waterway for transporting people and goods.
- The Nile also provides a source of irrigation for agriculture.
- The Niger River is located in western Africa.
- It flows through Guinea, Mali, Niger, Benin, & Nigeria.
- The Niger River is the third largest river in Africa.
- It runs over 2,600 miles.
- The mouth of the Niger River flows through a large delta, often referred to as the “Oil Delta” because of the petroleum industry that’s centered here.