October 28- November 1
Important Upcoming Dates-
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL: November 7th and 8th/Parent-Teacher Conferences
PTO General Meeting at Harper: Thursday, November 14 at 9am, in the school auditorium. District 39 Superintendent Kari Cremascoli will be our guest speaker. If you would like to submit a question ahead of time please email email@example.com All questions welcome.
December 6th: Save The Date, Harper Movie Night, hosted by the PTO. Drop your child at school Friday, December 6, at 6pm. Support the school and take a little time to holiday shop. Registration will open mid-November.
Hello Harper Parents/Guardians,
Unity Day: On Wednesday, we showed our support for Unity Day, a signature event of National Bullying Prevention Month. The meaning of Unity Day is: “Together against bullying. UNITED for kindness, acceptance and inclusion.” We loved seeing so many students wearing orange and having meaningful conversations in their classes around the idea of kindness and unity. These conversations take place on a consistent basis but this day was a fun school community builder for everyone to show their support together! We look forward to continuing to work together around these important topics!
Harper Halloween Parade: If the weather is nice, we will have Halloween parades outside according to the schedule below. Parents are welcome to stay outside and watch the parade. Classroom teachers will be staying with classes as we walk along the sidewalks and the perimeter of our school property. If it rains, the outdoor parade will be canceled and we will bring the parade indoors for students and staff only.
AM Kindergarten Parade: Wednesday, 10/30 at 8:50am
PM Kindergarten Parade: Wednesday, 10/30 at 12:55pm
Grades 1-4 Parade: Thursday, 10/31 at 9:00am**
** A viewing map is HERE.
Book Fair: Thank you the Book Fair Committee and PTO and all the volunteers for another successful book fair. I love seeing all the kids picking out books and continuing to pursue a love of reading. Thank you for your support and enjoy all the new books!
Have a fantastic weekend!
Parent Planning Notes:
Fall Conferences Information: Sign-ups are open until Monday, November 4 at 11:59pm! Conferences take place on Thursday, November 7 and Friday, November 8. There will also be time-slots for kindergarten on Wednesday, November 6. Please know that conferences cannot be scheduled outside of the D39 designated conference times. If you do not sign-up on-time, call the office for assistance. We do not schedule day of conferences
- Harper Parent Social: See below for more information on this awesome parent event. It is always fun to connect with other Harper parents, as well as support this fundraiser.
Expectations after school: We are working with students on being appropriate and safe after school. This includes but not limited to: walking bikes until off of school grounds; only crossing at the crosswalks; staying on sidewalks and not running through the grass or the bushes.
Recess reminders: It is starting to get colder which means, it is important for students to be bringing jackets, hats, sweatshirts, gloves, etc. to school for recess time. We give some reminders to bring their jackets out to recess but it is important kids try to start remembering on their own too because we do not want them constantly going into the school during recess time.
- Board of Education Meeting: The monthly Board of Education meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday, October 28, 2019 in the MEC. Below are a few topics that may be of interest:
- Discussion of 2019 Fall Assessment Report
- Review and Potential Approval of Select Student Fees
- Discussion of 2019 Tax Levy
Harper Parent Social
The Parent Social is 1 WEEK AWAY! Grab your friends, book your sitters and PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS! This year's party will be held on the second floor of A. Perry Homes in downtown Wilmette- their cool and modern space features a roof top overlooking downtown Wilmette. $50 a ticket includes an open bar and apps. Have a song request- email us...firstname.lastname@example.org. Link to purchase tickets: http://harperpto.com/category/events/parent-social/
- Kindergarten classes with participating in an in-school STEM program "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" on Friday, October 25th. Students will find out how much fun physics and engineering are as they make discoveries about motion, force, friction, gravity, and flight. Thank you to iGnite!
It’s time to cross “order-the-book-filled-with-special-memories-that-last-a-lifetime” off your list. Order before Friday, November 1, 2019, for $23.00, before the price increases. This will take you directly to the page... http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A09862418
Fourth Graders!!! It's not too late to enter the Yearbook Cover Competition!! The rules and template can be found at the front office, in the Yearbook Folder. Or email email@example.com for a copy. And one last thing - please send through your forth graders baby photo. Thank you to those who have already done so. The Yearbook team needs these soon!!
- Griffin's Tale Children's Repertory Theatre Company will be visiting and performing at Harper School on April 17, 2020! The company consists of 25 Northwestern undergrads who take stories written by local school children and turn them into songs, dances, scenes, raps, and games! If your child is interested, K-4 students are being asked to write one story (short, long, wordy, picture-filled, serious, casual, etc...) to be used by the company when they perform here at Harper in the Spring. Have your child write their story at home and then complete the Student Story Identification Form. Please have your child return their story and form to their teacher no later than Thursday, November 21, 2019 (note: the submitted copy will not be returned).
- Birthday Books- October and November Birthdays will be celebrated in the Library on Friday, October 25! Forgot to sign up for your child's August or September birthday? No problems - register at the link below and we will include them this month! Commemorate your child's birthday by donating a book to the Harper Library. The average cost of a new library book is $20 - after your payment has been received, your child will be able to select his / her book during Library time. A personalized bookplate placed inside the book will show everyone that your child has added this special book to the Harper library! Sign up here http://harperpto.com/birthday-books/
October Update from PASS39!
PASS39 stands for The Parent Association for Student Services in District 39. It’s a district-wide parent organization that works in collaboration with Administration to help provide education and support for families who have children with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges. This year marks PASS39's 19th year in existence and we continue to benefit from a strong and cooperative relationship with D39's Student Services Department. It is a wonderful group and we are fortunate to have this available in the District.
For the October Newsletter, visit:
PASS39 Email List
Join our email list to receive information on area and district events related to children with learning disabilities and/or special needs. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the PASS39 group e-mail. All addresses are blind copied for confidentiality.
PASS39 on the Web
The PASS39 website provides more information about Wilmette D39 Student Services and contains educational, therapeutic and recreational resources for parents with children with specialized needs.
- FREE MONEY for Harper!!! Do you order from Amazon? Please read link to learn about Amazon Smile. If you make a small change to how you order, Harper PTO will receive 0.5% back from Amazon. Remember, only purchases at smile.amazon.com (NOT www.amazon.com or the mobile app) support charity. Be sure when you register your charity to search for Harper PTO. The Amazon Smile "App": You cannot use Amazon Smile with the Amazon App on the iPhone. However, the good news is that you can set up a shortcut to the Amazon Smile website which gives a near-identical experience to the app. It’s very quick and easy to do.
1. If you have the Amazon App installed you should remove it. To do this, tap and hold the app icon until it starts to jiggle. Tap the cross at the top left of the icon and confirm that you want to delete it. Don’t worry, this will not delete your Amazon account or any of your settings.
2. Now load Safari (the iPhone internet browser) and go to smile.amazon.com
3. Tap the ‘share’ button (looks like a square with an arrow pointing up) on the bottom of the screen.
4. Tap the ‘Add to Home Screen’ icon. You may need to swipe to the left to see this.
5. You will now have an Amazon Smile icon on your home screen which you can use in exactly the same way you used the Amazon App.
Remember to select Harper PTO for your Amazon Smile charity.
Donate now to iGNITE! and help your children have a fun-filled year of enrichment opportunities! The suggested donation of $125.00 per child (tax-deductible) enables iGNITE the opportunity to bring in speakers, scientists, and programs along with taking children on field trips. In addition, this pays for our amazing crossing guards that keep your kids safe and secure! We ask that you donate early so we can begin these programs at the beginning of the year! Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 56% (236 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. email@example.com
Community Service Corner
Try doing a 30-day kindness challenge with your family. https://www.doinggoodtogether.org/bhf/30daykindnesschallenge
The Kindness Connection at Northbrook Court is featuring a new recipient, in addition to our regular recipients.
All of October and November we are volunteering for GiGi's Playhouse TKC volunteers will make Math Kits for students at GiGi's Playhouse. .
Thanksgiving Volunteer event for Connections for the Homeless on Saturday, Nov 9
It’s a great way for the entire family to help together!
Harper will also be collecting donations for a food drive benefiting Connections for the Homeless from November 4-15
1st grade: Boxed Stuffing/Box Mashed Potatoes
2nd grade: Canned Vegetables
3rd grade: Gravy/Broth/Soup
4th grade: graham crackers/pie filling
Family Action Network (FAN) presents “Year of the Monkey: An Evening with Patti Smith” on Saturday, October 26th at 7:00 pm held at the Evanston Township High School auditorium.
PEDAL POWER wants your used bicycles! Please donate bicycles at various locations on Saturday, November 2nd, 9:00 am - 12:00 noon. Bicycles are renovated and awarded to CPS honor roll students.
Rotary Club of Wilmette is hosting its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE October 1st - November 16th at all D39 schools. Please donate your gently used books.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org