CM 107 - What is Academic Writing and How do I do it?
Welcome to Unit Five!
Unit Four Grades
I will have your Unit 4 Assignments graded no later than Sunday and will post an announcement letting you know when the grades and comments are ready for review.
You will also find feedback in Turnitin's Grademark function. Here is a video my colleague, Emily Hartsfield, created to help you find the Unit Four Assignment feedback. Please do check out the feedback in Turnitin so you can see the in - text comments (and audio feedback per request).
Unit Five Overview
Unit 5 focuses on selecting an appropriate topic, establishing a strong thesis, and organizing your ideas by using an outline. There is an idea in writing that if you can outline it, you can write it. We will work with that idea and create an outline to lead you to success in Units 5-8. In many ways, the outline may be a bit more of a challenge then writing the paper. That is normal. We will work together on this, in the discussion, while we practice the skills before we need to perform them.
You will also learn valuable information about the Writing Process and how following this step by step process can help you to address any writing situation effectively and with less stress and more success.
The skills learned during the next four units (units 5-8) will build your foundation for future success. You will find most, if not all, of these skills we be called upon in your future academic courses. I look forward to helping you build and strengthen your foundation!
Unit Five Assignments
- Complete the Learning Activities.
- Complete the quiz and remember, you can take the quiz as many times as you need to (but the quiz must be completed during Unit One. It cannot be made up.
- Participate in the Discussion Board.
- Post your main post. Here is a worksheet to help you.
- Respond to three or more classmates to exceed expectations.
- Make sure to review the sample discussion board post located in the actual discussion board.
- Attend the live seminar. We will have fun, explore formal writing, discuss thesis statements and outlines. Or complete option 2 if you can't attend the live seminar.
- Submit the Unit Five Journal: What did you learn about your topic and thesis ideas from posting to the Discussion Board? What feedback did you receive and how can this feedback help you to strengthen your topic and thesis? What changes do you think you might need to make before you move forward in the Writing Process?
- Preview the Unit Six Assignment.
Here are some resources to help you succeed:
Late Work Reminders
If you need to submit late work, please consider the following:
---By the end of Unit Five, you may submit the Unit Three Journal, Seminar, and main Discussion Board Post.
---If you are late on Unit Four work, you do have until the end of Unit Six. For Unit Four, you may still submit the Project, Seminar Option Two, and main Discussion Board post.
---10%, per the late policy, is deducted for each week the work is late. But, some points are better than none, and the learning is valuable and needed.