RPEMS Band Update September 5, 2017
Band Information for Grades 6th, 7th & 8th
RPEMS Band Update
Happy Pumpkin Spice Season (officially) :)
6th Grade Band Polos -- Orders Due 9/8/17
Do you want to pay by check? Please send your band polo order in envelope to Ms. Gibson and make your check payable to RPEMS. Please include your child's first/last name, grade and size. (Sizes are Adult XS to 4XL)
Sad Band News
Instruments need to go home every single day so that practicing has the opportunity to happen. Students are given homework on a daily basis and are expected to prepare that music for their next class.
You will find links to:
- Private Lessons
- Archived Band Newsletters
- Essential Elements Interactive (6th and 7th Grade Only)
- Band Assignments/Homework
- Band Syllabus
- Band Calendar
Follow RPEMS Bands on Twitter & Instagram
Girls On the Run
I'm excited to be an assistant coach for Girls On the Run! I'm encouraging all the girls in band to come hang out with Coach Kurzweil (head coach) and the rest of us assistants!
It's a 10 week program that happens after school until 4:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the season ending in a 5K race at Sporting KC's Stadium. It's a great group to be a part of and I'm super excited to be involved with it.
If you are interested in joining, let me know or Coach Kurzweil!!!! Lets get a big group going and represent RPEMS!!
7th & 8th Grade Band Polos
Do you want to pay by check? Please send your band polo order in envelope to Ms. Gibson and make your check payable to RPEMS. Please include your child's first/last name, grade and size.
Our band program uses Meyer Music as our instrument dealer, as they carry the brand of instruments we want our kids to use. The instruments are durable, help kids to be successful fast and get a great sound. Meyer Music also carries all of the supplies your child needs to keep their instrument up and running, as well as books and a Korg TM50 Tuner.
You can find the list and everything they need on the website listed below.
Click on shopmeyermusic.com to get your child's instrument today!
*Meyer Music delivers every Tuesday (mid-morning'ish), so you can order through them and they will deliver it to school for you.
Morning Band Help/Practice Time (Tuesdays & Wednesdays)
These morning help sessions are available every Tuesday and Wednesday morning from 6:30am to 7:25am. Students may leave the band room at 7:10am if he or she wants to eat breakfast or head to their specific grade level area prior to the 7:25am bell.
Morning Band Help Passes are available in the band room and must be picked up PRIOR to the morning he or she wants to come in early. These passes require a band teacher signature and will also allow them off the bus early and in the building.
Go to: shopmeyermusic.com to order books today.
You will need the Essential Elements for Band Books 1 & 2 for his/her specific instrument. **Percussion parents, please see the email I sent yesterday regarding which books for you to purchase.
Practicing at Home
Here are some practice tips:
- instruments must come to school and go home the same day
- find a place in your home where your child can practice uninterrupted and a place the beautiful sounds won't interrupt you
- 6th graders should practice 20 minutes a day
- 7th & 8th graders should practice 30+ a day
- students should practice homework given in class, review previous lines in the book and maybe look ahead to learn something brand new
- students should avoid practicing the items they already know repeatedly, but rather practice the items they don't know
- It's important to remember that when something is getting difficult and they want to give up, that's the point where they are just about to learn something brand new!
- let your child perform for you or a family member 1 time a week
- let them practice with another band kiddo too
- sit in with them on their practice time and have them show you what they've been learning or let them teach you how to play their instrument
- buy ear plugs
Practice homework will be given daily and should be written in the student agenda. Band practice homework can be found online at rpbands.com/east