1st Grade Beach Break
October 3, 2016
Happy Fall, everyone! I hope that each and every one of you are enjoying this cooler weather that we were blessed with this past week! We had a very busy week of learning, and next week will be even busier! Our first book order flyers have gone out. I hope that this helps you to find a variety of books that your child will enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions about the order process. Monday marks our first library visit for the year. The students are very excited about this new adventure!! The firetrucks will be visiting our campus on Wednesday and Thursday. This is a treat for both the students' and the firemen.
I pray everyone has a blessed week!
- Friday, October 14th and the 28th are spirit days. Go Hawks!!
- Trips to the Roanoke Library are October 3rd, 17th, and the 31st.
- Wednesday, October 5th and Thursday, October 6th, the firetruck will be stopping by the school.
- Friday, October 7th is an early release day. School will dismiss at noon.
- Monday, October 10th is Columbus Day, there is no school.
- Tuesday, October 18th is spirit night at Chick-fil-A.
Looking at the Week Ahead
- Solving word problems by reading ahead and using analogy
- Fluency: Reading the punctuation
- Monitoring comprehension by stopping and reviewing what we have read.
If your child is ready for a new book to go home, please encourage them to ask about reading their RED folder books to me.
This week our focus will be on the following routines:
- Rereading your writing for clarity and completeness
- setting up a response group
- What are some appropriate responses
- Introducing Revision
The writing that these bright young writers are creating is already so awesome! I am so proud of the hard work and thought they put into their writing each and every day!
We will bring to an end our chapter covering some different strategies for counting on and measuring lengths using non-standard forms of measurement. We will close off the chapter using a few different type of non-standard forms of measurement such as paper insects and paper clips.
Week In Review
Reader's and Writer's Workshop
During Reader's Workshop, we learned some new strategies to help us to become a good reader. Making predictions by looking at pictures, rereading passages to help with understanding, and looking for known words inside an unknown word to figure out pronunciation are just a few strategies we learned to use.
We are continuing to work on putting more detail into our writing. We learned how objects can help us make out writing more flashy. We also learned the a writing conference is a good tool for a writer whenever they get stuck. Lastly, we discussed writing for a purpose.
Caleb said our Bible verse in front of everyone!! What an example!
Caleb not only said his Bible verse but also helped out with our pledges.
They love singing praises to God!!