Findley Elementary School
July 31, 2019
Happy Summer Future Findley Families!
I hope this email finds you all enjoying the summer. As we get closer and closer to the first day of school I wanted to reach out and provide some important back to school information for our future Findley families!
Tuesday, September 3 and Wednesday, September 4 will be non-school days for kindergarteners. These days have been designated for kindergarten assessments. In the next week or so you will be receiving information on how to sign up for a time to bring your future kinder kiddo in for some quick assessments. For your planning purposes, assessments will take no longer than 30 minutes.
The first day of school for Kinders whose last name starts with A-M will be Thursday, September 5. The first day of school for Kinders whose last name starts with N-Z will be Friday, September 6. Kinder students will not be assigned to a teacher until the afternoon of Friday, September 6. Teachers will be using the information gained from assessments and from the first two days with students to create balanced classrooms. Families will receive notification of teacher and student placements after school on Friday, Sept. 6. First day of school for all kindergarteners will be Monday, September 9.
Back to School Night for Kinder will be Thursday, September 5 @ 6:00 PM. This is a non-student event. We ask that families attend without kids to hear important information from teachers about expectations and curriculum.
In the meantime, here are some things you can start talking to your future Dragons about to help them get ready for the transition to kindergarten!
· Point out Findley as you drive or walk past and say, “Look! That’s YOUR school. You are going to have so much fun in kindergarten!” Talk about school as an exciting milestone in their life.
· Help your child to think of teachers, the counselor, principal, and other school staff as positive, supportive adults. They are here to help you become the best learner possible. If you have questions or concerns, they are the first people that you go to while at school.
· Visit your local library and book stores. Read a variety of stories with your child. Reading the same story more than once.... Get your child excited about books!
· Actively listen to your child and encourage verbal expression of thoughts and feelings. Help your child use language to describe experiences by asking “what, when, where” questions.
· Provide your child with opportunities for a wide variety of experiences. Take trips to zoos, parks, museums, historical sites, and special events. You can even visit the playground at Findley.
· Give your child some “at home” responsibility to promote independence such as putting toys away, setting the table, or bringing in the mail.
· Spend some “special time” with your child. This may include reading, drawing, coloring, playing with the toys, playing games, or just having fun.
· Most importantly, read, read, and read some more!
We are so excited to meet our Future Dragons! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via email, or call the school. Summer hours are Wednesdays, 8:00-12:00. We will resume regular work day hours, 8:00-4:00 on August 12.
Sherry Marsh, Ed.D. Sherry_marsh@beaverton.k12.or.us
Summary of Important Dates
9.3 Tuesday Kinder Assessments No School for Kinders
9.4 Wednesday Kinder Assessments No School for Kinders
9.5 Thursday 1st Day for Kinders with A-M last names
Back to School Night 6:00 PM
9.6 Friday 1st Day for Kinders with N-Z last names
Teacher notification sent out to Families
9.9 Monday First Day for ALL Kinders
What to do for next year......
Do I need to enroll my child for next year? No, your child will already be registered into the correct grade for next year.
When can I do online verification? The district will send out an email the 2nd week of August letting everyone know that online verification can now be started. We will also hang a banner out by the front of the school letting you know it is time..
Is the school open this summer? Yes, we will be open Wednesdays from 8am - 12pm
How will I get my students teacher assignment? That information will be available on packet pick up day on August 28, 7:30 - 11:30. Please DO NOT call the office, they cannot give you assignments. If you want a neighbor to pick up the packet for you, please provide a note to that person.
If I miss packet pickup what do I do? We will have staff here the first day of school to assist getting your child to the correct class.
How do school supplies get to my student? School supplies will be delivered to the classroom and waiting for your student on the first day of school.
Watch the school website for information throughout the summer, we will update with important information as the dates get closer.
Have a wonderful summer! See you in September.