Raider Nation News
Week of October 1, 2018
Dear Atholton Families,
It is hard to believe that tomorrow is October 1! Where has the time gone? October is busy month for Atholton. Tomorrow and Tuesday school pictures will be taken. This will be done during English classes. Students are aware which day their pictures are being taken. Next week is HOMECOMING WEEK. Please stay tuned for more information regarding upcoming activities. Lastly, next Wednesday (October 10) is PSAT Day. The entire school will be engaged in PSAT testing except for seniors. We encourage parents of seniors to use this day for a college visit as the morning is reserved for testing. If seniors chose this option, it is an excused absence from school.
Here is more information on PSAT Day:
On Wednesday, October 10, the College Board's PSAT 8/9 will be administered to all diploma-bound students in grade 9, and the PSAT/NMSQT will be administered to all diploma-bound students in grades 10/11. Seniors are encouraged to take advantage of this day to make local college visits.
The PSAT 8/9 is the first test in the College Board Suite of Assessments and is used to set a readiness baseline, allowing students and teachers to pinpoint areas for focused practice through high school. PSAT/NMSQT for grade 10 serves as a check-in on student progress in preparation for grade 11, where students' scores can provide entry into the National Merit Scholarship program, an academic competition for recognition and college scholarships.
Please discuss the new items below with your student prior to October 10.
- Students will receive 'Mobile Opt-In' policies and documents before completing identifying information on the answer sheet. Students will need this document when deciding to provide their mobile number or not. Students will take the document home after testing.
- Your student will completing a student data questionnaire that is part of the PSAT assessment. The questionnaire consists of basic information for reporting scores (name, student id, school, sex and birth date) and a set of optional personal questions to share with eligible colleges, universities, scholarships, and educational opportunity programs. If you prefer your student to not share this information, he/she can opt-out (Item 14 for PSAT 8/9 and Item 15 for PSAT/NMSQT).
General information and reminders:
- Students should have a good breakfast on testing day. A modified bell schedule for lunch shifts, and periods 5 and 6 will be finalized after testing ends (at approximately 11:20am).
- Students' testing rooms will be on posters around the school by the end of the week. Students will report directly to their testing rooms upon entering school.
- Students must report to school on time in order to participate in the PSAT. There are no make-up days to account for absences. If a student does come to school late, he/she should sign in in the Front Office and then report to the cafeteria for an extended study period.
- Please double-check for any students' appointments for October 10. We strongly discourage early dismissals as they cause disruption during testing. If a student does have an early release, he/she will be unable to complete the test.
- Students should bring two #2 pencils and a calculator with fresh/extra batteries. Calculators will not be available on test day as all math problems can be solved without a calculator. If your student would like to request to borrow a calculator, please see Assistant Principal, Mrs. Veslany, School Testing Coordinator, or our Testing Assistant, Ms. Brownley, in the Front Office by Monday, October 8.
- There are no electronic devices allowed in the testing area. Students are encouraged to leave cell phones at home on this day. Students may not use the cell phone or any device similar other than a calculator. If a student does bring a cell phone to school or wears a smart watch, the proctor will be collecting all devices prior to testing. Please emphasize this with your student. We do not want an entire classroom of Atholton students' PSAT scores invalidated if a cell phone rings or vibrates!
Students taking the PSAT should receive their score reports and a copy of the test booklet prior to Winter Break in December. Please call or email Mrs. Veslany (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Wishing everyone a fantastic week!
Robert A. Motley
Emergency Contact Information
We are still seeking updated emergency contact information from families. This information is crucial in the event of an emergency or a need to contact a parent.
Please be sure to log on to update your emergency contact information ASAP! Even if nothing has changed, you must still log on to indicate that there are no changes.
The link to update your information is below:
School Picture Day
Lifetouch photographers will be here on October 1st and 2nd to photograph 9th, 10th and 11th grade students (underclassmen). The pictures will be used for individual student ID cards and in our 2018-2019 Atholton High Yearbook.
Students were given a flyer with an attached envelope and order form in their English class. You may complete the order form and enclose payment (cash, money order or check payable to Lifetouch) or you may order at mylifetouch.com using our unique Picture Day ID: MJ018021Q0 and pay by credit card or paypal.
Athletic Boosters News
Homecoming Breakfast Tickets NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE:
Once again the Atholton Athletic Boosters will be holding it's annual Homecoming Breakfast on Saturday, October 13th from 8:30am-10:30am in the AHS Cafeteria. This is one of Atholton's oldest and most enjoyable traditions that marks the beginning of a fun-filled day of Homecoming festivities. This truly is a community event where everyone (students, parents, staff, families and friends) are welcome to attend. Tickets for this year's Homecoming Breakfast can now be purchased online at www.atholtonboosters.org/homecoming-breakfast for $8.00 (children under 5 are free). Tickets will also be available to purchase the day of the event for $10. We hope to see ALL of Raider Nation there!
Interested in volunteering for the breakfast? Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409094daea7229-homecoming
We have many opportunities available and our wonderful volunteers truly contribute to the success of this event!
For more information on the breakfast, volunteer opportunities or how to purchase tickets, please contact Debbie Merwitz at firstname.lastname@example.org
LAST DAY FOR SPECIAL CONTEST!
All parents/families that join or have joined the Athletic Boosters ON/BEFORE September 30th will be entered into a drawing to receive one free athletic pass to ALL Howard County sporting events (excluding playoff games). This is a pass for the entire year and for ALL sporting events at ALL high schools in the county. Imagine FREE entrance into the football and basketball games!! Four different lucky winners will be drawn through a random number generation and notified by October 4th. JOIN NOW! Special thanks to our Athletic Director for providing the passes.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019-2020 school year is available beginning October 1, 2018. Completing the FAFSA is typically the first step in the financial aid process for college, and all students who plan on attending college next year should complete the FAFSA. If you would like assistance, the AHS Student Services Office will be hosting a FAFSA Workshop on October 18, 2018. Sign up here for an appointment. If you are unable to sign up online, please contact Ms. Richardson at 410-313-7068 or email@example.com.
Raider Nation Sports
For a complete look at the fall sports schedule, please visit the Atholton HS County Sports Zone page. Click here to access page AHS ATHLETICS CSZ
Come out and support our student athletes!
Mark Your Calendar
October 2 -- PTSA Meeting @7pm in Media Center
October 3 -- School Closes 3hrs Early
October 9 -- Interims Issued
October 10 -- PSAT Day
October 13 -- HOMECOMING
October 16 -- Pizza with the Principal
October 19 -- School Closed
October 23 -- Last Day to Withdraw from course without penalty