Jewell Jaguar Update
A Note From Our Principal
Hello Jewell Families,
The school year has gotten off to a fantastic start here at R.E. Jewell Elementary! Our enrollment numbers are lower that what was expected, but it sure is nice to have a little relief in the classrooms, hallways, and playground. Right now we have 522 students which is over 100 less than last year and you can really tell the difference.
We have had numerous drills already this year (Fire, Lock-Down, and Bus evacuation) and the kids have done a great job. One of the things we have really worked on this year is "Silent Drills", that means any time we are participating in a drill the expectation is that the kids are silent all the way through the drill, including exiting and re-entry to the building. The kids are doing a great job with this and we have been very proud of how they have done.
As we transition to Fall weather please remember to make sure that your child has a coat with them each day as we never know when the weather can change here in Central Oregon. We want to make sure that each kiddo can stay warm and dry when they are walking to/from school and out at recess.
Thanks so much!
Scott (Mr. E.)
D. Scott Edmondson
Mark Your Calendars!!
- October 7th - Walk or Bike to School Day
- October 12th - October 16th Spirit Week (stay tuned for details)
- October 15th - PTO Meeting 6pm in the media center
- October 16th - PTO Mini Mudder Fundraiser
- October 21st - STUDENTS RELEASED AT NOON - Teacher Work Day
- October 27th - Kindergarten to the Pumpkin Patch
- October 27th - 29th - Scholastic Book Fair - Open During Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 28th - 4-8pm Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 29th - 8am - 8pm Parent Teacher Conferences - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- October 30th - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- November 19th - Immunization Exclusion Day for Kindergarten
- November 23rd - 27th Thanksgiving Break - NO SCHOOL
October 7th is Walk and Bike to School Day!
All students who live within walking or biking distance of Jewell are encouraged to walk or ride Wednesday, October 7. Brian Potwin from Commute Options and Jewell staff will be at Foxborough Park at 8:15 am to meet with any students who want to walk or bike together to school that day. Parents are encouraged to walk or bike with their child. Students who live further away can drive to the park, meet us there and walk or bike to school from the park.
Click here to review the map.
Information from our FAN Advocate
There are still slots available for Operation School Bell! This is a program that allows families in need to get new school clothes for their children. To sign up, please call (541) 355-2123 or stop by the FAN office Monday/Wednesday 12:30-4:30, Tuesday/Thursday 8-12, or Friday 11:30-2:30.
-Allyn Cripe, FAN Advocate", RE Jewell Elementary (541) 355-2123
Welcome to Fall! We were so excited to see almost a dozen new families in addition to our returning super stars at the September PTO meeting. Our new principal provided a great school update and took time for questions about everything from SmarterBalance scores to the new fence around the field. He'll be joining us again this month, so mark your calendar for an informative hour. The next meeting is Thursday, October 15 from 6-7 PM in the school library.
All parents and teachers are welcome to join the PTO (even if you can't attend meetings). It's just $10 for the whole school year and a terrific way to deepen your school relationships. Membership forms are available on the PTO bulletin board across from the main office.
Your kiddos will soon bring home packets about the Mini-Mudder obstacle course and fundraiser. The kids are vying to win popsicle parties for their classrooms and one of two Razor scooter prizes. It's a favorite event for many children and we're looking forward to another fun Fall day on October 16.
Book Fair is right around the corner, happening during Fall Conferences. If you can volunteer for just an hour, you'll earn a 50% discount off your entire purchase! It's a great deal, and many parents use it to stretch their holiday shopping budget. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can assist. As a former volunteer, I can attest that it's easy to run the cash register.
Request for Donations for the Health Room
Important Reminders from the Office
- Arrival Time: The bell rings for students to go to class at 8:55am. We do not have any supervision for students prior to 8:30am. At 8:30am students can get breakfast or go out to recess.
- Student Tardies: All students arriving after 9:00am must sign in at the office and pick up a late slip to give to their teacher.
- Student Absences: If your student is going to be absent, please contact our attendance line at 541-355-2115. Automated calls go out to parents at approximately 10:15am if your child has an unexcused absence.
- After School Plans: If there is a change in your child's routine at the end of the day, please make sure to convey that to your child before school and send a note to their teacher. If there is an urgent change, please call as soon as possible. Release time can be very busy and we want to make sure your child gets home as planned. If we have not heard it from the parent or received a change in writing, we will assume that the regular routine is in place.
A Note from Mrs. Houle in the Library
Reduced Meals are NO CHARGE to Families
Parent Volunteer Application Submit your application now so you can be cleared to volunteer in the classroom and go on field trips all year long!!