January 25th - January 29th
What we're learning this week...
Phonics: ck digraph
Book: Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
Reading Strategies: Making a prediction, retelling the story, cause and effect, making a connection
Math: Comparing numbers to 20, number handwriting practice, fluency of addition and subtraction within 5
Writing: Writing our opinions, letter formation (handwriting practice)
Social Studies: Jobs in our community and jobs at school
Science: Mystery Science – Weather Watching – How could you walk barefoot across hot pavement without burning your feet?
Religion: Jesus grew up in Nazareth, Jesus calls disciples, using our senses in worship, Mass: listening, following, praying, Prayer of thanksgiving
Social Skill: Following directions and greeting others/introducing yourself
Social and Emotional Learning: understanding that people can change: children discuss the potential for growth, learning, and change in themselves and others and identify how they have changed.
Pastor Appreciation Video
Principal Appreciation Video
We definitely need to honor Mrs. Moss during Catholic Schools Week, who is not only our awesome principal, but your child's Religion teacher as well! Please, please take a moment to help your child record a message for her. She loves our school and our class especially, so let's really show her how much we love HER! Click this link to record for the Vid Hug.
How to help your child with writing at home
- Let your child pick out a notebook and pick out some fun pencils, crayons, smelly markers, etc.
- Work on our "5 Star Writing" rubric. These are the things I look for in all of our Writing Workshop lessons:
1. Are there spaces between your words?
2. Is there a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence (with the rest of the letters lowercase)?
3. Did you use proper punctuation at the end of each sentence? (period, question mark, or exclamation mark)
4. Did you spell sight words correctly?
5. Does your writing make sense?
*Important to remember: DO NOT spell out words for your child. Let them "stretch" the sounds they hear in words and spell words phonetically (the way they sound).*
Day of Giving to Catholic Schools: Many Gifts, One Nation
SAVE THE DATE!
The fourth annual Many Gifts, One Nation: A Day of Giving will begin Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at noon and continue through noon on Wednesday, February 3. We hope these events become more and more successful each year. Watch this page and make sure your school is participating in the Day of Giving!