Is The Death Sentence Ethical?
The Death Sentence, or capital punishment, is a very serious punishment that is reserved for very serious crimes. The question that has been asked ever since it has been put to use: Is the death sentence ethical? I believe so, and hope to prove it by the end of this presentation.
CONFORMING TO THE ACCEPTED STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
Capital Punishment Is Justifiable
- Why do we kill people, who kill people, to show people that killing is wrong?
- This statement misses the point
- "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed."-Genesis 9:6
- lex talionis; the law of retaliation or an eye for an eye, not literal
- Kill-cause the death of another living thing
- Murder-the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another
- Execute-carry out a sentence of death
- Three different, NON-INTERCHANGEABLE, words
A brief history
- Early Civilization-Many crimes were punishable by death. Carried out by crucifixion, beating, burning, drowning, and impalement.
- 10th Century Britain-Lots of people were executed, some for petty reasons. Carried out by hanging, beheading, drawing, quartering, and burning at the stake.
- 19th Century-By then some countries had abolished the death sentence, and more people were starting to question it.
- 20th Century US-The death penalty was reserved for more severe crimes, some states had already abolished it. Sentences carried out by hanging, electric chair, firing squad, and lethal injection.
- Modern Era-Many countries have abolished it. Lots of people are against it. Mostly carried out by lethal injection.
Capital Punishment is Effective
- 100% of criminals executed never commit crime again
- Despite popular belief, there is ONE main purpose for the death sentence
- The purpose of the death sentence is to punish a criminal for a crime or crimes they committed, and it is effective in doing so
Death Penalty vs. Life Imprisonment
- Life imprisonment is cheaper
- Capital punishment is a quicker punishment
- Both are just
- Either way the criminal will eventually get eternal punishment
Capital Punishment in the US
- Death Sentence was reinstated in 1976
- 1,389 people have been executed since
- 22 were under the age of 18
- 15 were women
- Kansas, New Hampshire, and the US Military have not carried out an execution since 76, but they retain the right to use it
Capital punishment is a severe punishment, that is widely debated, but is ethical when served to criminals who have committed certain crimes.