My Favorite Vacation

Lake City, Colorado 2013

My Favorite Vacation

My favorite vacation was when my family and I went to Lake City, Colorado. We hadn’t even arrived in Lake City and we had already had a great time sand boarding at the Great Sand Dunes. After 12 hours in the car, we finally pulled into our cabin and had to start unpacking. The scenery in Lake City was beautiful, and I knew this was going to be a great vacation.

I wanted to play outside, but first we needed to get settled. We unpacked all of our stuff out of the car and chose rooms. Finally, we were done unpacking and I was really ready to go outside. But I looked out the window and saw that it was dark. Playing outside would have to wait until tomorrow.

The next morning I woke up, ate breakfast and then we set up a croquet course. We played that for a while. Later, Riley, my sister, my dad and I cycled up a mountain a little ways. Then we left our bikes and hiked up a small mountain. After exploring for a little while we decided to go back to the cabin. I told my mom that we had a great time and wished that she and the twins had gone with us.

The following day, my family and I went on a rafting trip. It was really fun. We all rode in the same raft and got to paddle down the river. We didn’t get to see many rapids, but the ones we did see were so fun. We were the only family to stay for the second half of the tour. The scenery was, again, beautiful. We saw many places and many creatures. The twins didn’t get to see all of the tour because they fell asleep in the raft.

Next, we all loaded up in the car and drove to Crested Butte, where we went to see a mountain waterfall. There was a really fun nature trail that we walked on to get there. Once we got to the waterfall, the view was breathtaking and the only bad part was that a chipmunk kept trying to steal the snacks we brought.

The next day, we all went up a mountain pass in a Polaris. It was the highlight of the trip, we saw waterfalls, small birch forests, and valleys’ full of wild flowers and we even got to play in a ghost town. Again the twins had fallen asleep, but I don’t know how they did it. They were wearing motorcycle helmets and the road was extremely bumpy so they looked like bobble heads.

On our final day, my dad and I went fly-fishing. We caught a lot of brook trout and I really liked spending time with my dad. When we got home we all played one last game of croquet, packed up and started the long drive home.