We Are Together Tamanend!
March 6, 2020--Please note: Tamanend is CLOSED on Friday, March 6. More information at CBSD.ORG
Tamanend Musical Is March 13 &14
This year's Tamanend Players musical production Bye Bye Birdie will be performed on March 13th at 7 p.m. and March 14th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Online ticket sales are now closed; however, we will sell tickets in the Main Office from March 10-13. In addition, we will sell tickets at the door until they sell out.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Parent Book Club--Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 PM
Relay for Life Interest Meeting (for 8th and 9th Graders)--Wednesday, March 11 during Advisory
Musical Preview Assembly--Thursday, March 12 (during school day)
Bye Bye Birdie: Tamanend Spring Musical--Friday, March 13 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, March 14 at 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Parent Council Meeting--Thursday, March 19 9:00 AM
Community Connections Meeting--Monday, March 30 6:00 PM
- If you are interested in participating in a Spring sport, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts, which begin March 16. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and have been explained at organizational meetings.
- Any 7th/8th Grader who is trying out/participating in a Spring sport must have ImPact (concussion) testing done prior to the start of the season. Any athlete who took ImPact for another sport played at Tamanend does not need to take it again. If an athlete has not yet taken it and missed the session on Feb. 27th, s/he must attend the make-up session after school on Wednesday, March 11th in the Cafeteria with Mr. Fynes. Students staying for testing must arrange for a ride by 3:45. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Klein or Mr. Fynes.
- Family ID is now open for Spring sports registration for any student in 7th and 8th Grades trying out for a Spring sport. The deadline to register is Sunday, March 15.
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the flier below for additional information.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the game and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
Please see the flier below for information about the upcoming CB South Youth Baseball Clinic on March 7th.
- Please see the flier below for information on CB South boys soccer summer camp.
- No contests
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball: Postseason tournament quarterfinal @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- *8th Grade Boys Basketball: Postseason tournament semifinal vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 4:15); bus leaves at 3:15
- ImPact (concussion) testing for 7th and 8th Grade students who are trying out for Spring sports and have not yet taken ImPact (Cafeteria; 2:45-3:45)
- *8th Grade Boys Basketball: Postseason tournament championship vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- No contests
*must win prior round game in order to advance
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is March 10
Community Connections Meeting--Monday, March 30
Dear Tamanend Middle School Families,
Please join me in the Tamanend library on March 30 from 6 until 7 p.m. for this school year’s second “Community Connections” meeting.
These meetings are designed to encourage frank conversations about a shared vision for the future of our schools. I continue to be grateful for the feedback and ideas that our families share with me during these meetings. I hope you can find time to attend.
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Reminder--American Red Cross Blood Drive--Thursday, April 16 at Tamanend
You Be the Chemist Competition
On Saturday February 29th, 11 Tamanend students competed in the You Be the Chemist Regional Competition at DOW Chemical in Collegeville. Team Unununium represented by Lauren Magliaro, Katie Spring, Alex Dash, and Jacob Magrann represented Tamanend well. Team Wasted Potential represented by Zeke Gift, Tristan Peng, Kush Kodiya, and Lucas Khalife worked well as a group and took 3rd place! Aashish Cheruvu, Nick Feng, and Aryan Mistry, of Team Oreos, took 2nd place overall and will be advancing to the National level competition!! We wish this team the best of luck with Nationals!! Kudos to all these students for a job well done and representing Tamanend so strongly!
Relay for Life to Kick Off This Week
This week, Tamanend will kick off the 17th annual Central Bucks Middle Schools Relay for Life. At Relay, teams of students take turns walking around the track to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, and remember loved ones who lost their fight. CB middle school students have raised nearly 4 million dollars for the American Cancer Society (ACS) to date! This year’s event will be held on Saturday, May 16 at Tohickon Middle School. Relay is open to current 8th and 9th graders who have registered and paid a $10 registration fee. Each student is responsible for raising at least $50 for the ACS by early May. Each team will also need parent chaperones with them during the event. Students are currently forming teams and choosing a team captain. All students interested in participating need to attend the Relay Interest Meeting on Wednesday, March 11 during Advisory.
Tamanend Students Stand Out on the Ice
The Middle School Ice Hockey season recently ended. The "AAA" team just missed the playoffs, and the "A" team finished 1st, winning their division. Playoffs start on March 10th/11th with the championship soon after. Congratulations to Tamanend students Alex Cannon, DJ Lindenmuth, Aiden Linso, Michael Liu, Jake Matkowski, and Jake Sciscio.
Reminder--Purchase Tambucks T-Shirt and Support Autism Awareness
Reminder--Program Planning for 2020-2021
Program Planning for the 2020-2021 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 2--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online. Click here to view.
- January 6--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders (during school day)
- January 9--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 17--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at https://www.cbsd.org/domain/387
- January 17 to February 9--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 29--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 10--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 7th Graders
- February 25--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 3--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 8th Graders
- March 20--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 9th Graders
- March 26--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 9th Graders
Reminder--Parent Volunteers Needed for Freshman Dance Preparations
We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in helping to setup and prepare for the Freshman Dance, scheduled for June 5th. Parents of students in any grade level are welcome to attend. Please click here to for additional information.
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Reminder--Mental Health Fair & Just Talk About It Program--March 29
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
Reminder--Help is Down the Hall
The Tamanend Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a group of trained faculty members who can connect students with appropriate help and resources if they show signs of struggling with mental health concerns or alcohol/substance use. If you notice concerns such as major changes in behavior or mood, drop in achievement, or use of drugs or alcohol, then you may consider a SAP referral. When the team receives a referral, we gather more information to determine if there is a need for intervention and further assessment. The information is confidential, and the process is for the purpose of offering help. Anyone can refer a student about whom they are concerned. Referrals can be made at this referral link or by contacting a SAP team member:
Mrs. Barlow, Mrs. Cammann, Sra. Corsino, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Heisey,
Mr. Klein, Mrs. Myrtetus, Ms. Scheffey, & Mrs. Szagola
Reminder--Free Mental Health Support Group for Teens
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
FROM OUR NURSE'S OFFICE
Information about Coronavirus
Central Bucks School District is closely monitoring the CDC’s recommendations (included on the attached CDC fact sheet), as well as those from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and the Bucks County Health Department. You may review the latest recommendations from the CDC on their website at www.cdc.gov. At this time, the best advice is to practice the same common-sense preventative measures that are recommended every cold and flu season, including proper hand washing and staying home when sick.
UPDATE: 3/6/20 FROM SUPERINTENDENT DR. JOHN KOPICKI (This information is also available on the CBSD website):
Dear Central Bucks families,
Late last night, I was informed by Dr. David Damsker, Director of the Bucks County Health Department, and Dr. Sharon Watkins, State Epidemiologist of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, that members of the Central Bucks community were exposed to a confirmed case of the coronavirus that originated in another state. At this moment, we understand that these Central Bucks community members have had contact with Butler Elementary School, Titus Elementary School, Tamanend Middle School, Tohickon Middle School, and Central Bucks South High School. The Bucks County Health Department is currently evaluating these individuals to determine when they may return to school.
It is important to reiterate that there are no known or reported cases of coronavirus in Central Bucks School District, Bucks County or in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Out of an abundance of caution, I have decided to close the above schools Friday, March 6, 2020 to perform deep cleaning of all impacted facilities.
Throughout this evolving situation, I will remain in contact with both the Bucks County Health Department and the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Additional updates to the community will be shared as we learn more information.
You can find additional resources about the coronavirus at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website (CDC Website)[i] which is updated frequently with information about the coronavirus. The CDC also offers helpful FAQs[ii] about coronavirus. The PA Department of Health Coronavirus Website[iii] is a good source of information as well. If you have questions about your own health, please consult your medical professionals.
Coronavirus is transmitted like the common flu virus and can be easily eliminated with good cleaning and personal hygiene practices. Common symptoms for coronavirus include fever, cough and/or shortness of breath. Some tips from the website to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as coronavirus, include:
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow. Do not use your hands!
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use a 60% or higher alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, cell phones, electronic devices, remotes, and other frequently touched items.
- Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick to help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
The safety of our students and staff remains our top priority. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Director of Communications, Angela Linch, at 267.893.2073.
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
8th & 9th Grade Laptop Updates
On Thursday, 3/05/2020, the Technology and Innovation Department will begin allowing 8th and 9th Grade 1:1 laptops to install Windows 10 version 1903. This version update will provide Windows operating system enhancements to Central Bucks Windows 10 devices. This is the most efficient way to keep student machines updated, but this is the first time an update has occurred during the school year. Previously, updates took place over the summer.
We wanted to inform you of this update due to the amount of time it takes to apply upon reboot. When applying the update it can take roughly 30 to 40 minutes before the computer is usable and available to be logged into again. The update will install in the background and will force a restart outside of the scheduled school day; which is 5pm to 6am. Please plan accordingly, knowing the computer will take time to apply the update. Please encourage students to restart their computer over the weekend so this update does not impact instruction.
Students will see the icon below when the update is pending. Not all students will see the update on the same day. *Recommendation: Encourage students to wait until they get home to restart their device.
Students might also experience the screen below signaling the need to restart and apply the update.
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Mananging Concussions & Repetitive Stress Injuries--Wednesday, March 11
Reminder--Bridging the Gap: iSmart Parent Meeting--March 19
Reminder--American Red Cross Blood Drive--Friday, March 27 at CB Education Center
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Workshops for Issues Impacting Children
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Award
Nominations for March's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 03/20. The chosen for February is Asset #17: Creative Activities. Recognizing a young person who cares about others. They place a high value on helping other people. Please submit your nomination through this link. Staff members who nominate students will wear jeans to show their Boomerang Spirit on Tuesday, 03/24.
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, March 19th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900