GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
December GCS Reads 20 Schools of the Month
This Week February 1-5
- Feb. 10 January GCS Reads 20 Minutes Due
current Minutes will be archived so 2016 totals can be entered today.
- Feb. 10 Middle School Media & Tech. PLC 2:00-4:00 Wash. St.Rm 300
- Feb. 10 High School Media & Tech. PLC 4:00-6:00 Wash. St.Rm 300
- Feb. 12 BOB Lunch Choices Due
- Feb. 12 Technology, Teaching & Learning for the 21st Century Workday 8:30-3:30 Wash. St.Rm 300
- HOLIDAY Reading challenge Gift Certificates were put in courier last week. You should receive them sometime this week. Please remember to send Tammy a picture of your winners receiving their gift card.
Dates to Remember
- Feb. 17 Early Release Day
- Feb. 18 Elementary Media & Tech. PLC 2:00-4:00 4:00-6:00 Franklin Blvd. Board Room
- Feb. 26 Applicants interested in attending World View and presenting at our Global Conference, need to submit their application through this link on or before Friday, February 26.
- Feb. 29 Teacher Workday
- Mar. 2 Read Across America Day
- Mar. 2-4 NCTies Conference Raleigh
Mar. 9 Elementary BOB Competition UNCG
Mar. 10 Middle School BOB Competition UNCG
Mar. 11 High School BOB Competition UNCG
Mar. 17 Early Release Day
- March 22-23· Building Bridges: Cultural Respect and Equity In The Classroom-
- March 23-24, Europe At A Crossroads-
- Mar. 25 Good Friday
- Mar. 28-31 GCS Spring Break
Library Media & Technology Tidbits Webcast on Evaluation Instrument
February's Library Media and Technology Tidbits webcast is now posted. It focuses on the SLMC evaluation instrument highlighting changes in the process which are reflected in the updated NC School Library Media Coordinator Evaluation Process user's guide posted to NCEES in November.
Please volunteer for one of the BOB competition. We are looking for judges, scorekeepers, and timekeepers on March 9, 10, and 11.
Upcoming BOB deadlines:
- BOB Rosters are due to Jackie. Please include the coaches' names. A template will be emailed this week.
BOB Lunch Choices
This year the UNCG Food Services department is asking us to give them an idea of what our students will be eating. Please take a moment to review the lunch choices and enter totals of what they will most likely be ordering.
- February 12 lunch fees are due to Robin Gonsiewski in Accounting.
- Please enter your coaches choice as well.
- DUE: February 12th
- Click HERE to submit lunch choices for your team.
Diversity and Global Education
World View K-12 Global Education Seminars: Invitation To Attend
- · Building Bridges: Cultural Respect and Equity In The Classroom- March 22-23, 2016
- · Europe At A Crossroads- March 23-24, 2016
- Through the World View partnership, teachers, media specialists, and administrators find and develop tools to instill a global perspective in the education of all our students. A new group will be attending the spring seminars, continuing the county’s effort to provide culturally rich curricula and resources for our educators so that they can better prepare all GCS students to thrive and lead in a global society.
- Twelve educators will be selected to attend the new seminars at UNC Chapel Hill and become part of the training team to continue the expansion of global education professional development for the rest of the district.
- The selected educators will also assume the commitment of presenting at the GCS- World View Partners’ Program: Full STEAM Ahead to take place in Greensboro, NC, on August 11, 2016. STEM and Arts educators are highly encouraged to submit a proposal. Applicants interested in attending World View and presenting at our Global Conference, need to submit their application through this link on or before Friday, February 26. After the evaluation of applications, the Global Education Committee will select and notify the chosen participants by March 4, 2016. Please share this information with your staff and encourage them to submit their applications.
- The cost of registration and substitutes will be covered. Upon confirmation of registration, information regarding substitute requests and carpooling will be sent directly to the selected participants.
- Additional information about the seminars is found here: http://worldview.unc.edu/our-programs/at-unc-chapel-hill/
- You may contact Liliana Jordanov with any questions related to this opportunity.
Digital Learning Day
February 17th is Digital Learning Day. What will you be doing? Click below to see a list of resources created for this special day. Don't forget to contact Pam or Sabrina so they can come out and highlight the activities you will be doing in your classroom. They want to share what our Tech Integrator are doing in the district.
So you didn't get to attend the State of our Schools Event? Click below to see what it was all about. BOB is briefly mentioned.
Save the Date: 11th Annual Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit
Registration is Not Yet Open
The 11th Annual Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit will be held at Joyner Library's Teaching Resources Center on the campus of East Carolina University on March 19th, 2016. The conference theme is Building Communities.
Registration for our 2016 NCTIES Conference is now open!
Do you want to suggest a title for NEXT Year's HS BOB List?
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.