Trail Blazer News
Earth Day Fun!
Wish List: Items that we currently need.
- Thursday, April 28, Family Voices/Community Outreach at the Grant Center 5:30-7:00
- Fri., April 29, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sat., April 30, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sun., May 1, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 1:30 am
- Monday, May 2, through Friday, May 6, Teacher Appreciation Week
- Saturday, May 14, 5K for the Boys Running Group
- Thursday, May 19, Potluck of Learning & Community Drum Circle from 5:30-8:00
- Friday, May 20, Spring Book Fair begins
- Monday, May 23, Asheville City Schools Foundation Fellows Grants are due
We would LOVE to have you read to us! Please follow this link to sign-up!
Happy Birthday, Oliver!
What We are Learning
Reading: We focusing on reading a variety of poems and identifying rhyme, rhythm, alliteration, and meaning.
Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
Writing: We currently writing poetry, but we will transition into nonfiction writing about life cycles in a few weeks.
Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will begin Unit 14 on Monday. We are focusing on double vowel syllable
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We are focusing on measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.2 Measure the length of an object twice, using length units of different lengths for the two measurements; describe how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.3 Estimate lengths using units of inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.4 Measure to determine how much longer one object is than another, expressing the length difference in terms of a standard length unit.
Science: We are focusing on the life cycles of plants and animals.
2.L.1 Understand animal life cycles.
2.L.2 Remember that organisms differ from or are similar to their parents based on the characteristics of the organism
Social Studies: We are starting a unit on economic concepts culminating in a student-led classroom "town" with various good and services for sale.
- 2.E.1 Understand basic economic concepts.