Enfield Head Start, Integrated Pre-K, PK STEAM Academy
October 14, 2022
Our Eaglets did an incredible job transitioning back to school this week after a 4 day weekend! This is the time of year when we may start to see some tears return at drop off. Rest assured, once your child is in the classroom and engaged with exciting materials and peers, the tears are gone! It can be harder on us as adults. Here are some helpful tips to navigate tough transitions:
- Talk about school in positive ways.
- Give a window wave and hug.
- Send a family photo in if you haven't done so already.
- Talk about the schedule! When kids know about their day, it helps ease worry.
- Know you can always check in throughout the day with the teacher or the main office!
SMILE! SPOTLIGHT ON ORAL HEALTH FROM NURSE JEN!
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING SNACK
Executive Function Strategy: Question of the Day
Question the day is a daily practice activity, where children are actively engaged in answering a question based on previously learned content with picture cues to help. Children may answer the question independently, or with peers and the teacher will review the question as a large group. Children practice name recognition and self-regulation skills, as well as develop print awareness. Questions can support concepts learned in any domain/standard.
How we do it…
As the children enter the classroom they…
Pick up their name tag
Read the question or listen to the teacher/friend read it
Answer yes or no by placing their name tag in the appropriate column.
What are children learning?
- how to make choices
- Literacy skill (recognizing your name, concepts of print)
- Oral language skills and concepts
Some example questions are…
- “Are you wearing a red shirt today?”
- “Does cat rhyme with bird?”
- “What comes next: RED YELLOW RED YELLOW ________
- "Is teeth brushing a healthy habit?"
This activity focuses on the following Executive Function skills:
Inhibitory control of actions and attention by being able to take the time to answer the question
Working Memory by remembering the question, the answer choices, and following the steps of the strategy within the routine of the day
- Cognitive Flexibility by recognizing that the items used in pictures might not be exactly like the real item
A MESSAGE FROM NURSE JEN! Due to Winter BREAK, documentation of vaccination MUST be in by 12-23-22!
Important Product Safety Recall Information as of 10-14
Getting to Know Stowe! (I will keep this posted for a few weeks so you have it at your fingertips!)
Joining a new school community can sometimes feel like learning a new language as you acclimate to the procedures, environment, people, and lingo. See below to begin learning about all things Stowe:
- SELC=Stowe Early Learning Center
- SELC=our mascot (the eaglet featured above)
- FEO=Family Educator Organization
- ECDC=Enfield Child Development Center
- EPS=Enfield Public Schools
- FRC=Family Resource Center
- IPS=Integrated Pre-K
- HS=Head Start
- KITE=Key Initiatives to Early Education
- PKS=PK STEAM Academy
- Eaglets=all children taking part in any program at SELC
- Main Office=860-253-4741
- Head Start Family Support=860-253-4717
Our building is quite unique in that we house 4 PK programs, a Family Resource Center, and KITE.