Volume 1 - September 2014
Junior Year Planning - How to begin researching colleges & careers
Where to begin?
- Visit to Counseling Office and become familiar with the various sources of career and/or college information.
- Begin to research careers and/or colleges which you are interested in and relate this information to your interests, academic aptitudes, school courses, grades, plus any specific talents you have.
- Use Guidance Direct and send for information regarding specific careers and or colleges, if such information is not available in the Counseling Office.
- Stop in and meet with the college admission representatives visiting the Counseling Office. Upcoming visits are listed on the morning announcements.
- Utilize the internet to access college admissions and financial aid information.
- For those of you planning on applying to college, please keep in mind that colleges strongly consider:
- Your overall high school record and quality/rigor of program
- Class Rank
- SAT/ACT Scores
- Activities, Athletics, and Community Service
October = PSAT (Preliminary SAT) and the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery)
PSATOne of the best ways to prepare for the upcoming SAT is by taking the PSAT. By taking the PSAT you can:
- Practice for the SAT.
- Assess your critical reading, mathematical reasoning, and writing skills.
- Receive specific suggestions on how to improve your academic skills.
- Compete for sholarships (The National Merit Scholarship Corporation Competitions).
- Get started on the college search process.
- Use My College Quick Start to access free resources and information about college majors and careers that interest you.
The PSAT will be given at CHS on Saturday, October 18, 2014 at 8:00 a.m. Students must let Mrs. Bills know of their interest in taking the PSAT by October 14, 2014.
The ASVAB is a great tool for those of you interested in the military or if you are just unsure of your future plans. The ASVAB will be given on October 15, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. Interested students must sign up with Mrs. Bills by October 10, 2014.
College/University/Military Visitations in the Counseling Office
If you are interested in learning more about a particular college/university/branch of the military, please stop by the Counseling Office for a pass for the particular date/time.
Sept. 8 - Sacred Heart @ 11:00
Sept. 10 - SUNY Canton @ 9:00
Sept. 23 - Paul Smith @ 9:30
Sept. 23 - SUNY Geneseo @ 11:30
Sept. 25 - Utica College @ 11:00
Sept. 25 - Marines @ 12:00
Sept. 25 - LeMoyne College @ 1:30Sept. 29 - Quinnipiac @ 11:30
Sept. 30 - SUNY Oneonta @ 8:30Oct. 2 - Clarkson University @ 11:00
Oct. 2 - St.Bonaventure @ 1:30
Oct. 3 - SUNY Oswego @ 9:00
Oct. 3 - Lawrence Tech @ 12:00
Oct. 3 - HVCC @ 1:00 - Instant Admit for Seniors
Oct. 6 - Springfield College @ 11:30
Oct. 6 - MCLA @ 12:30
Oct. 7 - SUNY Plattsburgh @ 1:00
Oct. 7 - Johnson State @ 2:00Oct. 9 - Niagara University @ 11:45
Oct. 15 - SUNY Cobleskill @ 1:30
Oct. 16 - Cazenovia College @ 9:00Oct. 22 - Clinton County CC @ 10:00
Oct. 30 - Sage College @ 11:30
Nov. 3 - SUNY Adirondack @ 9:00 - Instant Admit Seniors
End of 1st Marking Period - October 3, 2014
ASVAB - October 15, 2014
High School Open House - October 15, 2014PSAT - October 18, 2014
End of 2nd Marking Period - November 7, 2014