The Sunday Message
Announcements, Resources, Celebrations 7/10/17
Welcome to the 2017-18 School Year!!!
News of Note
Welcome to our new families and welcome back to all the returning families. We look forward to working with your children in what will be an exciting 2017-18 school year. Many new events, academic themes and PTA initiatives are coming this year.
- Lots of information will coming home this week in the Tuesday folders. Please take time to read over all the information especially items dealing with transportation (carpool and bus). Student name tags will be provided and attached in to our students' backpacks on the first day of school. These are to remain on the backpack throughout the school year so that bus drivers know that they are to ride the bus. Please read the linked transportation memo above for details. Remember that if you have a kindergartner or 1st grader that bus drivers will not drop your child off unless a parent/grandparent/adult family member is at the stop to receive them.
- Carpool number tags for new students will be available in the main hallway on the first day of school or in the office after the tardy bell rings.
Specialist Class Schedules:
- This year our specials schedule will be what we call a rotating schedule to accommodate all classrooms since we have increased in number of homerooms. For example, Homeroom "A" would go to Art, Music, PE, Media/Technology and then Art in a given week. The following week's schedule would begin with Music and so on. The schedule is affected by holidays, too. As a result, please print out and post the specials schedule, linked above so that you will know what your child's schedule will be each week.
- The Wake County Public Schools use a communication system called School Messenger to provide information to all families. It gives parents various options for how they wish to receive communication from their child's school. Please review the information on the WCPSS School Communication site to add the options (email, text) you use wish to use. Each week I will send a summary of the digital "Sunday Message" at 6:00 pm. An email and/or text with a link to the full message is also sent at 6:00.
Are you new to the school?
- Remember to sign in this week in the main hallway to get your name tag for moving within the school. After Monday, you will need to sign in through the office. Thank you in advance for helping our staff know who is in the building. Keeping our students safe is a number one priority.
PAW Power:Positive Behavior System:
Our school uses a positive behavior system called PAW POWER. Be on the lookout for a student guide to this. Staff will be talking with all students about the following themes and don’t be surprised if you see our Panther Mascot walking around the school catching students doing a great job.
- Be Responsible
- Be Respectful,
- Be the BEST you can be
Kindergarten Parent Open House:
- A Parent Open House for Kindergarten Tracks 1, 2 and 3 will be held this Thursday night, July 13 from 6:30-8:00. Grades 1-5, Tracks 1-3 will hold their Parent Open House on Thursday, July 28 from 6:00-7:30.
- Now is the time to sign up or renew your volunteer registration or to enroll for the first time. It is a requirement for volunteering in the class, with small groups of children and to join us on field trips to be enrolled and background checked. We will have laptops stationed in the main hallway during the first week of school to expedite your renewal and signing up. Renew and sign up early to avoid a long approval process after “traditional calendar” schools return.
After School Programs:
- Be on the lookout for registration information for our supplementary after school programs (golf, tennis, KidZArt, Stem for Kids, and Lego Club). These programs are additional to our daily Before and After School Program. We also hope to continue a Chess Club but need a sponsors/facilitators to guide and oversee the club. Please contact Mr. Biles (email@example.com) if you are interested.
School Meals/Lunch Accounts:
- This week is a good time to set up your online lunch account. Go to www.MySchoolBucks.com to set up your child’s account. For more information about WCPSS meals go to School Meals.
We look forward to seeing you tomorrow. If you have any questions staff will be posted throughout the front lobby area to help you.
Have a great week.
Mark Your Calendars
Monday, July 10:
- Tracks 1, 2, and 3 start the 2017-18 School Year
- Kindergarten Tracks 1, 2, & 3 staggered entry begins.
Thursday, July 13:
- 6-7:30 pm, Open House, Kindergarten Tracks 1, 2, & 3
Thursday, July 27:
- 6-8:15: Open House, 1st-5th Grades, Tracks 1, 2, & 3
Friday, July 28:
- Class rosters will be posted on the front school windows on Friday, July 28th at 5:00 for Track 4.
Monday, July 31:
- Track 4 begins 2017-18 School Year
- Kindergarten Track 4 staggered entry begins.
Thursday, August 3
- 6-7:30 pm, Open House Kindergarten Track 4
Thursday, August 24
- 6-8:15 pm, Open House Track 4