- Domain Eukarya: This domain can be single celled or multicellular. This class contains an organism with a nucleus.
- Kingdom Animalia: Have the ability to move sometime in there life. They all are multicellular.
- Phylum Chordata: Have a complete digestive system. They also have bilateral symmetry.
- Subphylum Vertebrata: This class always have a backbone no matter what. They also have a endoskeleton.
- Class Mammalia: The lion has a backbone and has a big main covering his face. Has baby cubs.
- Order Carnivora: Hunt in groups so they don't get eaten while hunting. Circle there prey and all attach at once.
- Family Felidae: They have retractable claws to get there prey when they need to. They can also climb very good.
- Genus Panthera: This class only for the lion.
- Species: Panthera leo
- Height: Lions are 77 to 109 cm (31-43')
- Length: The length of a lion is the HB length is 158-250 cm (62-98') and the tail length is 61-100 cm (24-39')
- Weight: The weight of a lion is 122-225 kg (269-496 lbs)
- Color: The male lions have a noticeable yellowish to dark brown main on the hair of the neck and shoulders. The male and female have a tawny color. Can also sometimes be silvery gray. There iris is a yellowish color.
- Natural Range: The African lions can be found live in most of the sub-Saharan Africa. Except they cannot live in desert and rain forest habitats. They can also live in national parks and other protected areas with not a lot of people. Or in the zoo where they are taken care of and fed.
- Diet: They take the largest species of cats. They also eat wildebeest, buffalo, zebra, and the young of hippo, elephants, giraffes, mammals, and birds.
- Habitat Description: The lions live in the grassland and in plains with always a large prey base. Lions are capable of living at high altitudes. There is a big population of lion all over the world.
- Predators: Adult lions have no natural predators except humans. Some humans hunt lions. Hyenas are known for killing cubs, juveniles, or weak and sick adult lions.
This map shows were African lions can be found in Africa.
Lion eating prey
This is a picture of a lion eating its prey so it could stay alive. Lions are really good hunters.
Lion in Habitat
This is a picture of a lion in there natural habitat. They live in long grass.
Burton, M. (2002). Lion. In International wildlife encyclopedia (3rd ed., Vol. 11, pp. 1460-1463). New York, NY: Marshall Cavendish.
International society for endangered cats. (2015). Retrieved March 13, 2015, from Wild Cats website: http://www.wildcatconservation.org/wild-cats/africa/lion/
To cite this page: Harrington, E. 2004. "Panthera leo" (On-line), Animal Diversity Web. Accessed March 11, 2015 at http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Panthera_leo/