the PENN NEWSLETTER
Penn Science Night
Friday, Feb. 16th, 6:30-8pm
230 North Dubuque Street
North Liberty, IA
JOIN US FOR A FREE NIGHT OF FAMILY FUN AND LEARNING ABOUT SCIENCE!
There will be a variety of demonstrations, interactive activities and experiments to engage your inner scientist. These fabulous science stations are made possible by partnerships with a variety of local science professionals and educators including:
· Alliant Energy
· Alpha Chi Sigma—Alpha Theta Chapter
· Integrated DNA Technologies
· Iowa Raptor Project—Co-sponsored by U of Iowa & Kirkwood Community College
· Iowa State University’s Insect Zoo
· Neumann Monson Architects
· The S.T.E.A.M. Room Fab Lab
· University of Iowa Biology Department
· University of Iowa Health Care STEM Education
· University of Iowa Physics Department
· University of Iowa Sound Awareness for Everyone—UI-SAFE
· U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Just a few of the things you won't want to miss:
· Interactive Insect Zoo
· Exploring Light and Sound Waves
· Create a house of cards!
· Meet an American Kestrel & Great Horned Owl.
· What's in the Water?
· Sphero Golf, Soccer & Capture the Flag
· Virtual Reality Rollercoaster
· Cool Chem Demos!
· Tower Building
· Using Microscopes to explore what can't be seen with only your eyes.
· Laparoscopic Surgery Simulator and Human Specimens
· Exploring Magnetism, Lasers, Electricity and Optics
· Basic forestry skills, wood and tree identification
Hope to see you there! Penn PTO
Scholastic Book Fair
Volunteers are still needed. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4aa8a92ba3f58-february
From Ms. FISHMAN
All Jump Rope for Heart donations are due to school by Friday, February 23rd.
Roller skating for grades 2-6 will start on Friday, February 23rd. All students may bring bike helmets, knee pads, elbow pads if needed. It is recommended that students in the lower grades bring bike helmets if possible.
Sick and tired this winter...
Also- our custodians do a great job of cleaning but teachers would very much appreciate any donations of disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer for their classrooms.
Christine Grant Elementary School Attendance Area Development
Link for documents from last night's meeting:
The Iowa City Community School District will begin the process of developing the attendance area for the new Christine Grant Elementary School. Grant Elementary will open in the fall of 2019 in North Liberty across from South Slope. The process will begin in January of 2018 and follow the timeline outlined below. This could potentially affect families in the following attendance areas: Garner, Lincoln, Mann, Penn, and Wickham elementary schools. We welcome and encourage community participation in this process.
Christine Grant Elementary School Attendance Area Development Timeline
- Tuesday, February 27
Board Work Session
Community map discussion
- Tuesday, March 6
Board Work Session
Community map discussion (if necessary)
- Tuesday, March 27
Community map discussion and vote
- February 16: Science Night, 6:30-8pm
- February 21: Last day to bring in All For Books donations
- February 23: Final Jump Rope for Heart donations due
- February 23: Last day to turn in Box Tops for the Winter Classroom Competition
- No School February 28: Parent Teacher Conferences
- February 28: Kindergarten Registration, see above
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Kingsley Botchway II, Director of Equity, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000, Botchway.Kingsley@iowacityschools.org.