The Alternative View
Back to School Edition -- September 7th, 2020
Dear Students & Familes
Tues/Wed...1st days of scool
- On Tuesday, 9/8, we welcome back students in the B group; on Wednesday, 9/9, we welcome back students in the A group. If you aren't sure which group you or your student are in, please email email@example.com.
- If you ride the bus, you were given your time and stop location last week. If you need this information, email Mr. Woolf. School starts at 8:00am
- You MUST wear a mask on the bus and social distance as best as possible.
- There will be a process to enter the building. Please be patient as we navigate these new procedures together.
- You will attend all 4 of your classes. 1st hour starts promptly at 8:00am. Please come prepared to learn with your laptop and a writing utensil. School ends at 3:00pm.
- B group will attend again on Thursday; A group will attend Friday. After this week, school will resume a Mon-Thur A/B/A/B schedule, with Friday used as tutoring, intervention, and staff development.
Staff working hard to prepare for YOU to return!
- All persons must wear a mask when in shared spaces. This includes the bus and any space inside the building. You are expected to bring your own mask each day.
- Masks must cover the nose and mouth.
- Students and staff should self-screen before arrival and throughout the day. If you have symptoms, inform and stay home. Temperatures over 100.3 should stay at home.
- All persons entering the building will need to hand-sanitize, have temperature taken, and answer a couple basic screening questions.
- Social distancing of at least 6' is expected.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Clean and sanitize your area before leaving class, cafeteria table, or other spaces.
- Water fountains will be disabled, but the bottle filler will still operate. Please bring your own clean water bottle to school each day.
- Passing period needs to be used for just that: passing to the next class. We realize that this is traditionally a time to socialize and relax, but at this time we need students to walk to their next class on the right side of the hallway and maintain social distance. Teachers will provide outdoor breaks when possible.
- For the most comprehensive and up-to-date information, please visit https://www.center.k12.mo.us/covid-19
CAS 20-21 Info
- CAS will use a 4x4 schedule this year. This schedule allows 4 classes/day for 95 minutes each. Because the classes are longer, students will complete a semester course in a quarter, and a year-long course in a semester. Students will also earn 8 credits in a year, as opposed to 7 last year.
- Just like last year, to keep the focus on learning, student cell phones should be put "Away for the Day." This is from 8am-3pm, unless given permission from admin. Students who violate the policy may have their phone pouched for parent pick up. Come on, you're only at school for 2 days a week...you can do this!
- Our cafeteria services have been moved to Center High School. With fewer students in the building, this was the most sound decision. Breakfast and lunch will be prepared at CHS then transported to CAS at meal times. Students will be able to use the SoHappy app to order their meals ahead of time. For the first week, we will use a fixed menu while we adjust to this new process. The menu is posted below.
- Wearing a mask that covers your nose and mouth is mandatory. Students who do not follow these health guidelines will be sent home.
- Students who choose Virtual Learning will be enrolled at CHS because they are 100% virtual learning. This will continue until Semester 2 in January or when health and safety guidelines change.
- We will again utilize Launch as our online credit recovery program. Students enrolled in Launch courses will be expected to work independently with a remote teacher in the state of Missouri. For motivated students, this option can be a great way to make up failed courses. Check out https://fueledbylaunch.com/ for more info.
- Missouri Option is a mastery-based high school graduation program offered by DESE and Center School District. Students who are credit deficient, are in their cohort graduation year, but are at risk of not graduating, may take the entrance test to qualify for the MO Ops program. Contact Ms. Michele Hamilton for more information.
- Parents/Guests: Please limit your physical visits to CAS as much as possible. Because of COVID guidelines and Center's implementation of the Hallpass Visitor Management Program, please call/email or we can set up a Microsoft Teams virtual video meeting.
First Week Breakfast & Lunch Menu
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Applesauce Cup - Juice
Popcorn Chicken with Ranch or BBQ
Buttered Corn – Baked Beans
Wednesday, September 9 , 2020
Assorted Muffin with String Cheese
Nachos- Taco Meat and Nacho Cheese
Refried Beans and Baby Carrots
Thursday, September 10 , 2020
Apple Juice- Applesauce Cup
Chicken Patty Sandwich
Baby Carrots- Fresh Broccoli
Friday, September 11th, 2020
Because it is so soon this year, the CAS staff voted last week for our 2020 Homecoming King and Queen. And the winners are....
Superintendent Dr. Yolanda Cargile
You may schedule Virtual Office Hours with Dr. Yolanda Cargile this month on Thursday, September 10, 2020.
Dr. Cargile will host 15 to 30-minute virtual office visits on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 3:00-5:00 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a virtual visit.