What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
February 14th- Class Valentine's Party at 2:00!
February 14th- 1st and 2nd Grade Clusters Begin
February 17th- No School for Students! Staff Work Day
February 21st- 6 Flags Reading Forms Due
If your child would like to have pizza with us, please send in $2 cash to cover the price of pizza, a juice box and a cookie. If your child would prefer to not have pizza, please plan to send a disposable sack lunch.
Students may bring in their Valentine box or bag any day this week!
After pizza the class will be exchanging valentine cards and we will need a special place to put them! Your child's at home project will be to decorate a bag or box for our valentines. Please make sure your child has their NAME on their bag or box.
Parents you are invited to our class Valentine's Party! It will begin at 2:00. There will be food, games and fun!
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
8. Problem Solving- creating solutions or finding answers to a problem.
9. Forgiveness- act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
10. Justice- being fair and upholding what is right
11. Commitment- the ability to keep a promise or pledge
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: Last week we touched on fractions a little bit. Students should be able to use a fraction to name a whole object and use a fraction to name fractional parts of a set of objects. We got a little bit off track with our timelines piece because of the MAP testing. So this week we will be wrapping up the two concepts, fractions and timelines.
GTI students will be completing their passion projects that they started at the beginning of the year. They will be making appointments to share with the class what they have learned. They can also choose to participate in the math challenge with Ms, Malone.
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Division math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_division_games.html
Feed the monster - http://hiphiphooraymagazine.com/math/math%20facts%20monster.pdf
Science: This week we continue our investigation on air and study the patterns of weather as well.
Language Arts: Students will be goal setting this week. The will be reviewing their reading and writing goals from last time and together we will set a new goal for progress in Language Arts. In writing we will be specifically working on descriptive language. Students will begin using adjectives before the noun rather than after.
non-example: The lion is sleepy.
example: The sleepy lion rested on a rock.
This week the patterns are 'ph' and 'dge'. We will work with each pattern throughout the week and Friday I will ask students to spell words containing that pattern. The activity on Friday is only practice and will not be part of a grade.
GTI students will continue their book clubs and begin a product to show their learning throughout the book. Students will also be working on their Passion Project during this time.
Social Studies: The topic of the week is good citizenship. Students will learn about famous Americans who have exhibited good citizenship. Today learners learned about Sojourner Truth. They were challenged to come up with a disguise to help her escape from slavery, as well as a good cover story in case she gets caught! They came up with some pretty creative ideas! Ask your learner about it today.