SC GEAR UP
Weekly Memo - 6/8 to 6/14
I hope everyone had a good weekend.
Summer Programs are upon us! We need to get our Biology numbers folks, so we need this Summer Programs to go well. Credit Recover and Enrichment. Looking at some of the end of the year grades, we need decent numbers to meet our goal this Summer...
Congrats to Mullins High
Let's keep the conversations moving. Some of you have started identifying the Coaches role in the project. That will be important moving forward. I want to be sure WE all understand exactly what we are doing when we approach district/school/college officials with the project. Some of the questions to keep the conversations moving:
- Date of last meeting/contact on subject and who attended
- Technical college that will partner with high school through project
- Plan for Dual Enrollment Course delivery
- Plan for Developmental or "GEAR UP University Transition Course"
- Who is teaching the courses? Are they certified/qualified?
- Have the teachers been vetted by the high school or tech college?
- Does SCGU need to develop the lesson plans for the courses?
- Does the high school need anything from you in order to generate their Master schedule and include these classes?
- How will the invoicing process work?
- Where is the money being placed (whose budget)?
- Have you ordered your books?
- Is there a plan for inventory and storage with books/tech?
- Plan for sharing data with stakeholders (parent night? IGP?)
- What was the feedback for the parent night? What was the attendance?
- What concerns have parents shared with you or the school?
- Issues you are encountering at any level
- What will be the role of the Graduation Coach?
NCCEP/GEAR UP Summer Conference - San Francisco
Remember to register and make sure you get the registration of your folks in to Vickie ASAP! Since its a cross country trip, nobody is driving. Let's be sure we're knowledgeable about when our invitees are leaving and landing. Make sure they have your contact info.
There will be after-conference meetings again this year.
Steve and LaDonna will plan the Monday Meeting Agenda
Sonya and Katrisa will plan the Tuesday Meeting Agenda
I need your thoughts so that we can start thinking logistics and speakers. Do you want to have the retreat?
Everyone should send me a "yes" or "no" email vote.
Okay, so now that your tutoring programs are over for the year it might be time to start thinking on how we can/should adjust tutoring programs for next year.
SCGU Award Letters for 2015-16
As a follow-up to the above, its about time to start reviewing your Programs from this year for suggested changes for next year's award letter. I'm bringing this up because I realize that the school year is close to ending, and I want you to have discussions with your school officials before they leave. I probably wont need your changes until after the conference, but at that point some folks you may need input from may not be around to meet with you.
Objectives for 2014-15
The SCGU Grant objective for 10th grade will be that 80% of our students will pass Biology by the end of 10th grade. As of first semester, I believe Vermadel has us at 38%.
Remember, the success of the SC GEAR UP Grant will be judged on three things:
1) Did your GU cohort graduate high school at a higher rate than the non GU cohorts?
2) Did your GU cohort enroll at a post-secondary institution at a higher rate than the non GU cohorts?
3) How prepared to succeed were our GU cohort when they arrived at college?
Objectives for 2015-16
The SCGU Grant objectives for 11th grade will be that 1) At least 25% of our cohort will have passed at least 2 math courses above Algebra by the end of 11th grade; and 2) 80% of our students will pass U.S. History by the end of 11th grade.
Vermadel will give us updates on these at the August GC meeting, if not sooner.
We meet on Tuesdays to go over the Program and sign invoices. Questions usually come up. Be available between 1:30 and 3:00 for a potential call or text.
I NEED Q2 INVOICES ASAP!! The delay in providing the invoices will be a problem down the road if this continues. This is especially important with Q3 and Q4.
Social Media Update
The SC GEAR UP Facebook and Twitter are now both up!!!! Please have the coaches encourage students to like and follow SC GEAR UP on social media. We can do better on Twitter and certainly on Facebook.
Don't forget about the newsletters as well!