Weekly Penguin News
Park Village Elementary - A 2018 CA Distinguished School
09/30 - Professional Growth Day | NO SCHOOL
09/30 - Last day to order yearbook for 15% off
09/30 - Math Olympiads Registration DUE
10/01 - Last chance to purchase Park Spot Raffle ticket
10/01 - Kindergarten full days BEGINS
10/02 - Picture Day
10/02 - Student Council Meeting | 8:00 am @ Library
10/03 - Growth Mindset Night for the Parents of Gifted Students | 6:00-7:00 pm @ MPR
10/04 - Deadline to apply for School Site Council
10/04 - Ice Cream Social | 3:20 pm @ Lunch Area
Go to https://parkvillagefoundation.com/pages/calendar for additional calendar events
Go to https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/all/schools/52513 for PVES digital flyers
School Site Council Elections
The Park Village School Site Council currently has a parent representative vacancy to serve through the 2020-2021 school year (two year term). If you are interested in serving on the SSC, please submit your name to Gigi Marquez via email at email@example.com. The deadline for submission is next Friday, October 4, 2019.
The Park Village School Site Council consists of elected members representing parents, teachers, principal, and classified school employees. The council meets approximately four times per year with meetings typically scheduled before school at 8:00 am.
We appreciate your willingness to participate and look forward to hearing from those interested. If you have any questions, please contact Mike Mosgrove, PVES Principal at 858-484-5621 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking Lot Reminder
Please remember that the parking lot is for teachers and staff only, with the exception of the clearly marked visitor spots. We have many support staff members whose hours begin after class is in session. When they have to spend their time searching for parking off campus, it negatively impacts our student services. Thank you for your help!
Pledge Drive Update & Raffle Winners
Thank you Park Village Families! As of Friday, September 20, your generous donations brought in $78, 264.62 from 302 students! Wow! These donations go directly to the academic and community programs here at Park Village.
Congratulations to Siya, who won the 4-pack of Disneyland tickets!
Congratulations to our Roundtable Pizza, CPK, and Souplantation winners:
Kaelyn S, Alan S, Alan T, Dorothy Y, Lucas F, Vincent D, Yijun C, Cameron K, Jeremy W, Jeremy K, Lanting J, Glenn K, Parise M, Chloe C, and Apollo D
Growth Mindset Night for Parents of Gifted Students
By Jackie Cardinale & Molly Engblom, School Counselors at Park Village
Students (and adults) live more successful and happier lives when we have a Growth Mindset. Why Growth Mindset for Gifted Students? Gifted students often are perfectionists, they don’t want to make mistakes because others won’t think they are gifted, don’t take risks, do not believe they should have to work hard because, after all, they are gifted and do not believe they should have to overcome obstacles.
In this you will learn the concepts of Growth Mindset and how kids can shift their self-talk to believe in themselves. Other strengths of Growth Mindset include: the power of YET, working hard and taking a risk (which involves being willing to make mistakes), perseverance and knowing that we can grow your brain. You’ll also learn what kind of praise is most effective.
Join us in the MPR at Park Village on Thursday October 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM. You’ll be glad you did! There will be child care for school aged children, ages 5-10 years ($5 donation per child recommended). If you like what you hear at the meeting, you will be able to sign you child/children up for Growth Mindset lessons at Park Village.
Penguin Page Turners Book Club ~ Recommendation of the Week
What is X-ploration?
"X-ploration is an innovative model of instruction that provides over 16,000 students in grades TK-5 with standards-based learning experiences in P.E., STEM, and VAPA. PUSD’s team of 20 teachers visits two of 26 elementary schools per day, providing engaging, standards-aligned lessons to every classroom of students. While students are experiencing X-Ploration, the classroom teachers are released for job-embedded professional collaboration time to work with colleagues. Teachers utilize this time to plan units of study, engage in professional learning in specific content area, and plan high quality lessons. This invaluable time allows classroom teachers to improve their teaching practice and design learning experiences that will have the greatest impact on student success." - Poway Unified School District
Yearbook - Best Discount Ends September 30
Order your Yearbook by September 30 to receive 15% off the regular price! Don't wait - this is the biggest discount (and lowest price) of the 2019-2020 year! Each yearbook comes with two free, custom pages. Plus, earn $5 for PV Foundation AND a tree is planted with every purchase. https://tr5.treering.com/createAccount/101471725840797
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Volunteer Opportunities for 2019 - 2020
Park Village prides itself on our programs and events. However, they are all run by parent volunteers, and we need your help! We have opportunities of all types and sizes. Even one hour once a month can make a difference!
- Library - Help reshelve books. This task is constant and can happen any time of day. Perhaps you can help after morning drop-off or while waiting to pick up your child in the afternoon? You can make a difference in as little as 15-20 minutes. I just need folks to stop by regularly. Many hands make light work! No experience is required. If you’re interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the library to chat.
- Recycling - Help sort and crush recycling. Second Wednesday of every month, 8-9 am, ESS Parking Lot. Even 15-30 minutes before school is a big help!. Contact Victor at email@example.com.
- Science Night Volunteers - You will oversee a station while our little ones sharpen their science skills with their parents. Please sign up for a night when your own child is not attending - PV Science Night Volunteers. Contact Shannon Nellies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marquee Editor in Chief(s) - Update the marquee in the front of the school with our PVE news, and help keep our families informed! Contact Gigi in the office.
Tips for Library Success
By Mrs. Fleming, Library Media Technician
The library opened recently. I’m so excited to see the students again! Here are some tips to make the most of your child’s weekly visits.
- All books are checked out for one week and are due no later than your child’s library day. Ask your child which day they visit.
- Encourage your child to put their book in their backpack the night before so it doesn’t get forgotten during the morning rush.
- If your child needs more time to finish a book, they should bring it back to school and ask their teacher to renew it. The teachers and I will show them how.
- Encourage your child to return their books as soon as they’re done with them, even if it’s not library day.
- Help your child find a safe place at your house so books don’t get lost or damaged by siblings and pets.
- Keep school library books separate from public library books so you can return everything to the right place. Our books have a “Park Village Elementary” barcode on the back cover and a property stamp inside.
- Remind your child not to put water bottles or lunch boxes inside their backpack if they have library books in there too. Books absorb liquids like a sponge and wet books grow mold overnight!
- Use homework helpers and research databases from home 24/7. All of these (and more) are available from the library’s web page at https://www.powayusd.com/en-US/Schools/ES/PVES/Academics/Library/Library-Home
Remember, parents are responsible for paying fines for loss or damage. If you follow the tips listed here, that’s less likely to happen to your family. If you ever have questions, email me at email@example.com. Happy reading!
PTA Reflections Program 2019
by Jennifer Myers, Reflections Chair
Become a Famous Artist at PV! The Reflections artist's showcase is Friday evening, October 18th, in conjunction with Movie Night. This year’s Reflections theme—“Look Within”— has may possibilities. Ask your child to think about the theme and talk about what it means to them.
Brainstorming Starting Points:
- Look within them selves? Who are they, what are their dreams, aspirations and goals?
- Look within others? What is someone else feeling? What does a dog think about? Or a famous sports figure? A child separated from their parents? A friend after an argument?
- Look within an object? What is inside a tree, under the ocean, within a house?
- Look within a business or organization? What goes on inside a library, courthouse or classroom?
- Let your child get creative and have fun! They can create a piece of artwork or short film, take a photo, choreograph a dance, and/or write a song or story that captures the theme in their own unique way!
If your child wants to submit an entry, click here for the rules and entry form. Completed Reflections entries will be due October 16th in the lunch area before school begins (8:40-9:00 am). If you are not able to drop off an artwork at this time, please email to make alternate arrangements. If you have any questions, please contact Reflections Chair, Jennifer Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Proceeds support the 4th Grade Giving Service Project, 5th Grade Promotion, PUSD Adopt-a-Family, and more.
2019-2020 GATE Testing Information
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) involves services for students whose cognitive needs may require modified classroom curriculum and instruction to accommodate their learning differences and ensure their achievement. Parents may request GATE testing for students in grades 2-7.
To request GATE testing for your child, complete a GATE Parent Questionnaire/Test Consent form online through the PUSD GATE webpage - https://onlinereg.powayusd.com/GateSurvey
NOTE: Requests for GATE Testing will only be taken during the request submission window dates (now through November 22, 2019).
Test Date (only 1 test opportunity) at PARK VILLAGE ELEMENTARY: January 16, 2020
**Testing will be on site during regular school hours.
If you have questions, please contact the PVES Admin. Office at 858-484-5621.
The Next Generation of Box Tops is Here!
Park Village is on Social Media!
Follow us on Facebook:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/parkvillagefoundation/
DADS Group: https://www.facebook.com/ParkVillageDADS/
Follow us on Instagram:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagef/
DADS Group: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagedads/