Burlingame Intermediate School
Friday, October 17, 2022
Sorry for the delay in my Communication.
Translate this Newsletter into almost any language.
Dear BIS Family and Friends,
Thank you to all that participated in the Trojan Tournament Fundraiser. BIS-PTA has reached their monetary goal. Thank you to all the volunteers, and contributors that supported the activities and all the families that contributed. Please don't forget to join the BIS-PTA too at https://sites.google.com/bis-pta.com/home/join-pta
This week we will be participating in The Great California Shake-Out.You should also have a plan at home incase of an earthquake. We practice so students know what to do if an earthquake hits. In most situations, if you feel shaking or get an earthquake alert, immediately:
DROP where you are, onto your hands and knees. This position protects you from being knocked down and reduces your chances of being hit by falling or flying objects.
COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand.
- If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath for shelter.
- If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to an interior wall.
- Stay on your knees; bend over to protect vital organs.
HOLD ON until the shaking stops.
- Under shelter: hold on to it with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts
- No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands.
Friday, October 21st is Make-up Picture Day. If you missed picture day in September or do not like the picture that was taken, please be sure you prepared your child to take a new picture on Friday between 9:00am and 1:00pm. They should alert their teachers that they need a retake.
High School Parent Nights are this month! Please see the 8th grade section towards the end of my newsletters to see any high school information each week. If your child is going to any high school in the San Mateo Unified School District (SMUSD), don't miss the 8th grade information nights. If you want an Intradistrict transfer to another high school in the district, there are very strict deadlines, so don't miss them.
The district needs You!!! We are in need of a new Member for Citizen's Bond Oversight Committee that is: "Active in a business organization representing the business community located in the District"
You can see info here
Identifications Cards (IDs)- Students should have their student ID everyday.
Please have your child carry their BIS ID Card with them. Your student needs the card for library, lunch, and other school related activities. Please share with your student(s) that they will need their ID card daily at school.
Did you know all of California now has access to HelpNow free online homework help?
The California State Library provides free online tutoring for California K-12 students, available through public libraries. Through HelpNow, live real-time homework assistance is available 24 hours a day by laptop, tablet, or phone from qualified tutors using state curriculum and standards.
24/7 assistance is available in English and Spanish for Language Arts and Mathematics.
Every day between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, assistance is available in core K-12 subjects in the following languages:
Tutors can provide a virtual whiteboard, conduct live audio interactions with students, and work with learners on a wide range of concepts. Students are expected to work through the content and learn from the feedback. Tutors do not provide answers — they provide guidance and help. Tutoring sessions may be monitored for completeness and pedagogical effectiveness. All tutors have passed background checks and possess, at a minimum, a bachelor's degree.
Anyone using a computer inside of California can benefit from the live “HelpNow” program. Simply click on this link to get started with a live tutoring session now. The average wait time is 23 seconds.
Additionally, users who have a valid library card can log into the service and receive additional benefits. Learners can request to continue working with their preferred tutors or access a “writing lab” to drop off written work and receive feedback. Students can pose a question and get a written answer returned to them, review past sessions, and send and receive messages to tutors and organize tasks.
The HelpNow app is available on iOS and Andriod platforms via their app stores. The app is designed to function on smartphones as well as tablets.
The HelpNow platform is ADA compliant and offers a toll-free help number and an audio tutoring option. The service conforms to section 508 Standards developed by the Web Accessibility Initiative.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lunch Menus and Lunch Applications for 2022-23
What's on the menu next week? Go to this Link.Please fill out the Lunch Application for 2022-23
The application is in English and Spanish: Lunch Application Link
Once the form is filled out and turned into the BIS School Office, you will be eligible for a SamTrans Bus Pass (while supplies last) and many other county perks.
More than one student in the district? Only one application per family. Be sure to list all children on the same application.
Questions? Email Don at email@example.com
Transitioning to High School Begins...Class of 2027
The San Mateo High School District has shared the information nights with us for all 6-high schools in the district. Each school offers unique advantages.
Be sure to mark your calendars for the schools you are interested in hearing about.
The meetings will include Highlights:
- Learn about academic programs, and extracurricular clubs and activities.
- Meet the staff who will help to guide your soon-to-be 9th Grader.
- Learn important pre-enrollment and registration dates.
- Each school will have a unique and informative evening planned for you.
San Mateo Union High School District (SMUHSD) Enrollment
Priority Enrollment (P1) is just around the corner! P1 will be from Nov 7, 2022 - Feb 10, 2023. Here are the documents and tutorials to assist you with the enrollment process (ie: tutorial videos, flyers, slides, pamphlets, etc.). All items are available in 3 languages (English, Spanish, Chinese). Families can complete the entire process electronically, appts are NOT necessary unless they are missing documents or need assistance with completing the enrollment.
Please note: The form will be available on our District website starting Nov 7. The Intra District Transfer/Sibling Transfer form will also be available starting Nov 7.
Families can contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org if they have any questions.
Mark Your Calendars
- Tues., October 18: BSD Special Board Meeting 5:00 pm
- Weds., October 19: Unity Day- Wear Orange
- Thurs., October 20: The Great California ShakeOut - Get Ready to ShakeOut! www.shakeout.org › california
- Fri., October 21: Picture Make-up Day (9:00 to 1:00pm only)
- October 24 thru 28: Group 2 of 6th graders go to Outdoor Education
- Thurs., October 27: Staff vs. 8th graders Softball, Bayside Park
- Fri., October 28: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 7:00 pm
- Sat., October 29: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 7:00 pm
- Sun., October 30: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 1:00 pm
- October 31 to November 4: Spirit Week
- Mon., October 31: Halloween Day
- Sat., November 5: BCE Fundraising Gala
- Sun., November 6: Daylight Saving Time Ends
- Tues., November 8: BSD Board Meeting 6:00 pm
- Fri., November 11: Veterans Day - No School
- Thurs., November 17: PTA Meeting 7:00pm via Zoom
- Fri., November 18: End of Trimester 1
- November 21 - 25: Thanksgiving Week - No School
- November 30-December 2: Report Cards Mailed Home