The Success Academy Eagle's Nest
Student & Family Edition November 12, 2021
Make sure you scroll down to read the entire newsletter. New information is included.
The mission of this program is to graduate and transition every student with the skills to succeed in the classroom, workforce, and community through a nontraditional; personalized pathway.
Scheduled Route Cancellations & Delays
Morning Bus Routes - Cancelled
Nov. 1-5: The following routes will NOT provide morning service:
Nov. 29 – Dec. 3: The following routes will NOT provide morning service:
Afternoon Buses Delayed
Nov. 15-19: Afternoon service for these routes will begin at 4:45 p.m. for students whose families have not made other arrangements for pickup:
With the recent federal approval of the COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5-11, Fayette County Public Schools is partnering with Wild Health, the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department, and HealthFirst Bluegrass to offer free vaccination clinics in convenient locations throughout the community from 3 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 10. A second round will follow on Wednesday, Dec. 1. A parent or guardian must be present with a child between the ages of 5 and 11.
Nov. 10 from 3 to 6 p.m.
Vaccines available for children, adolescents, and adults
Register online with Wild Health for one of these school locations:
- Athens-Chilesburg Elementary, 930 Jouett Creek Drive
- Coventry Oak Elementary, 2441 Huntly Pl.
- Tates Creek Elementary, 1111 Centre Pkwy.
- Wellington Elementary, 3280 Keithshire Way
Vaccines available for children ages 5 to 11 only:
- Cardinal Valley Elementary, 218 Mandalay Rd. - register at (859) 288-2425
- Mary Todd Elementary, 551 Parkside Drive - register at (859) 288-2425
- William Wells Brown Elementary, 555 E. 5th St. - register at (859) 288-2425
- Consolidated Baptist Church, 1625 Russell Cave Rd. - register at (859) 252-2371 or sign up online with the health department
More information about COVID-19 vaccines for children between the ages of 5 and 17 is available from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention here, or the American Academy of Pediatrics here.
Student Perception Survey
Group Messaging for Students
Board Meeting Date Change
Since the Thanksgiving break has been extended for a full week, please note the following schedule for our November and December Board of Education Meetings:
· Monday, November 8th – Board Planning Meeting
· Monday, November 29th – Regular Board Meeting and Planning Meeting for DecemberMonday, December 13th – Regular Board Meeting
Music Sites for Students on Chromebooks
Here are the sites approved through FCPS to stream or download music.
- YouTube Audio Library - YouTube has almost 2,000 royalty free songs under a wide range of genres to choose from. Go to https://studio.youtube.com and choose AUDIO LIBRARY on the left-hand side of the page. Preview your song and download to your computer or Google Drive. Works great on Chromebooks.
- Bensound - A popular site for all ages and thousands of songs. Account creation is not necessary. Be sure to give attribution to Bensound.com in slide deck or video credits.
- Soundzabound - FCPS has maintained a license to use royalty free music at Soundzabound.com for numerous years. Soundzabound is an OIT favorite as it offers various song durations for the same tune.
Students may enter the building at 8:45 a.m.
School Hours of Operation
9:00 a.m. - 2:50 P.M.
School doors open to students at 8:45 a.m.
Beginning in October students will not attend school on Friday, but will participate in job shadowing, internships, and virtual learning.
Health and Safety Measures
- Students will wear masks while being transported on FCPS school buses and vans.
- Desks and tables should be arranged so that all students are physically distanced to the greatest extent possible (preference of minimum of 3 feet and wearing masks).
- Masks must be worn at all times while in the building.
- Students and staff should avoid sharing items that are difficult to regularly clean. If items must be shared, consider cleaning between use or sharing within a cohort.
- School leaders will plan for lunches to be served in the cafeteria so students will be going through cafeteria lines. Students are not required to face the same direction when seated.
- Staff will attest they will not come to work if they have a fever or other symptoms.
Fayette County Public Schools encourages everyone who is not yet vaccinated against COVID-19 or needs a second dose to sign up for a free shot through Wild Health or the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department.
Ages 12 and older are eligible for the vaccine. Fully vaccinated individuals might not have to quarantine if they are exposed to COVID-19 in the future. If a student is between the ages of 12 and 17, a parent/guardian must complete an online consent form or be present to provide consent.
Just a friendly reminder that you can sign up for a COVID-19 (PFIZER ONLY) shot clinic with Wild Health HERE.
Staff can get the booster 6 or more months after their second dose
Test To Stay In School
FCPS is committed to providing a safe in-person learning environment that maximizes the amount of time our students and staff are together on campus. As such, we have adopted layered prevention strategies designed to minimize the potential spread of COVID-19. Given the acceleration of COVID-19 cases in the greater Fayette County community, a growing number of FCPS students have been placed in quarantine because of potential exposures both on and off campus. Thankfully, we have found that it is very rare for students to develop COVID-19 because of an in-school exposure. Most cases are spread through household or community contacts.
To reduce the amount of school missed by students in quarantine, we will pilot an optional program that allows students who are exposed to the virus in school-related settings only to continue to attend school IF:
- They are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, AND
- They test negative during free on-campus testing before school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
We call this program “Test to Stay in School,” and will pilot it in partnership with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Kentucky Department of Health, and the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department. Participating schools are Breckinridge, Clays Mill, Dixie, James Lane Allen, and Julius Marks elementary schools, and Crawford, Jessie Clark, and Morton middle schools.
This program has worked safely and successfully in school districts across the country, and we are excited to give our children this opportunity. We know that in-person learning is best for our students, and we want to keep them in school as much as possible. The pandemic remains an evolving situation, and as health guidance has changed, FCPS has adapted our practice. We will continue to make decisions to safeguard the health and safety of our students and staff.
How To Report A Positive Case
Under state law, families should notify their child’s school within 24 hours of learning the child has tested positive for COVID-19. FCPS employees who test positive must also inform the district. Fayette County Public Schools has established a COVID-19 Hotline for processing these notifications, which must be submitted to the Kentucky Department for Public Health.
Please choose one of these three ways to alert FCPS:
- Call (859) 381-FCPS (3277),
- Email the COVID-19 Hotline to request a follow-up phone call to report the details, or
- Submit your name and phone number via this online form.
Families and staff may also email the COVID-19 team for follow-up phone contact to gather additional information or to address any questions.
No School - November 22 - 26, 2021
Fall Meal for Students
Child Nutrition will be providing a modified Fall Meal (turkey/gravy/mashed potatoes/green beans/fruit/special treat) for Students this year. Elementary sites are scheduled for Wednesday 11/17 and MS/HS/All Other sites are scheduled for Thursday 11/18.
Due to the pandemic, this meal will be for students. It will not be provided for any outside families and guests.
Bullying and Harassment
Any unwanted verbal, physical, or social behavior among students that involves a real of perceived power imbalance and is repeated or has the potential to be repeated will not be tolerated at Success Academy.
This may include name-calling, teasing, threatening, social exclusion, cyberbullying, or other behaviors that victimizes others that may be physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual in nature will not be tolerated at Success Academy.
If you believe you have been harassed or discriminated against at school report this directly to your principal, guidance counselor, Success Coach, or other adult in your school.
All Fayette County Schools are committed to providing an environment free from bullying and harassment.
May 2022 Graduation
Chromebooks and Chargers
Thanksgiving Break Extended
Superintendent Demetrus Liggins has decided to extend this year’s Thanksgiving break to a full week (Nov. 22-26) instead of the usual Wednesday through Friday, giving students and staff additional time off. Schools will not have to make up these two class days.
“Providing in-person learning for our students has been a heavy lift for all of us, requiring flexibility and patience in the face of uncertainty,” Liggins said in his Sept. 28 weekly COVID-19 update. “In spite of transportation cancellations and delays, staffing shortages, and expected illness or quarantines, our students, families, and staff have pulled together and made the most of our first seven weeks of school.”
Emails and comments on social media had suggested expanding fall break (Oct. 7-8), but Liggins said the short notice would not give families time to make arrangements. In addition, the health department said the longer break would not help in terms of COVID-19 containment. Liggins has directed the FCPS calendar committee to examine the possibility of a weeklong fall break for the 2022-23 school year.
Bus Route Information
PM SHUTTLES to High Schools - Depart STEAM & SUCCESS ACADEMY AT 2:50
At the the high school transfer to a neighborhood bus. Search the Bus Route Finder with your home address to find bus information for your districted high school bus and stop.