Important Dates to Remember:
- As the December 1st due date has passed, this is another reminder: Please make $100 deposit for your Washington, D.C. trip for all students and chaperones, Here is the link for more information: https://www.smore.com/zxwbf-claxton-goes-to-washington-dc?ref=email>. Payment can be made online at this site: <http://osp.osmsinc.com/AshevilleNC/BVModules/CategoryTemplates/Detailed%20List%20with%20Properties/Category.aspx?categoryid=BP008>
- Thursday, Dec. 10: Storytelling Festival
- Friday, Dec. 11: Winter Holiday Meal
- Tuesday, Dec. 15th - Thursday, Dec. 17th: Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe (Volunteers needed! See below.)
- Wednesday, Dec. 16: 11:45-12:10 Ms. Zunguze's class visits the Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe
- Wednesday, Dec. 16: Winter Dance 3:30-4:45 (Help needed! See below.)
- Thursday, Dec. 17: Winter Concert 6:00-8:00 P.M.
- A message from Mr. Edwards about the last ten days of school: "All of Asheville City Schools will conduct EOG testing in the last 10 academic days of school. Currently, that means beginning on the 24th of May and concluding on the last day of school, June 7th. This certainly is contingent on snow days, so fully expect for these days to shift later into June. We want to be proactive in letting everyone know now, so that there are no surprises at the end of the year".
Volunteer Appreciation and Opportunities
- A big, warm thank you to Eli's mom, Ms. Berry; Sophie's grandma, Ms. Cherry; and Silas's dad, Mr. Accles for braving a very cold morning to chaperone our Muddy Sneakers expedition to Weaver Park on Thursday! They each deserve endless gratitude and a hot cup of their beverage of choice!
- We also owe our gratitude to Juvae's family for their generous support! Juvae came in first thing Monday with many school supplies from our classroom wish list, including spiral notebooks, erasers, pencils, pencil grips, glue sticks, and more! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! If anyone else would like to contribute, the wish list is below.
- Here is a link to a volunteer spreadsheet to support the Winter Dance, a big fundraiser to help with field-trip scholarships: <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mi4GQLk7HOJ5HwV65NyUgB_iya6A33E9e6jRSnrUx6M/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1>.
- The Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe is set up in the media center as a fun opportunity for our students to purchase small surprise items for their family members. If you give a couple of hours on one (or more!) or these days, please check out the signup sheet here and add your name: <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t_xzATGPgK9eCeI9UnRIsjD_9L1sd0p3Zj81n3nNmeU/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1>.
- Check out this website that provides sample math problems and answers as well as videos for homework help: <http://www.oakdale.k12.ca.us/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1402228893267>!
- I have also set up a free class account with Kahn Academy. Your child can join Ms. Zunguze's Kahn Academy class, which provides standards-based math missions that are individualized based on your student's progress within the program. I will offer extra credit for each online session that your child completes. Here's how to join:
As we approach the end of the calendar year, we are also seeing our stock of school supplies dwindle. If you would like to contribute to restocking our supplies, these are some items that we could use:
- 20+ spiral notebooks with lined pages (the thicker the better)
- 20+ glue sticks
- infinite pencils
Muddy Sneakers Photos
Henry portrays a unicellular organism.
Hayden, Michael, Juvae, Jonathan, and Mary Ruth form a multicellular organism.
Sophie and Max compete at Cell-Tissue-Organ Game.
Josh, Gantt, Juvae, and Alex demonstrate the importance of the skeletal system.
Everyone warms up with a heart-rate experiment.
Muddy Sneakers: The Joy of Learning Outside