Announcements & Gospel Doctrine
Book of Mormon study for April 17th, 2016
Lesson 14: For a Wise Purpose
To emphasize that the scriptures have been prepared and preserved to guide and direct us.
Enos. Influenced by the teachings of his father, Enos prays for forgiveness. After receiving forgiveness, Enos prays for his people, the Nephites, and for their enemies, the Lamanites. He asks the Lord to preserve the records of the Nephites.
Jarom. Jarom records that the Lamanites come to battle often against the Nephites. The Nephites withstand the Lamanites and prosper in the land because prophets and teachers persuade them to repent continually, keep the commandments of God, and look forward to the coming of the Messiah.
Omni. Omni, Amaron, Chemish, Abinadom, and Amaleki keep the records. The Nephites experience seasons of peace and seasons of war, and the “more wicked part” of them are destroyed. Mosiah and his followers encounter the people of Zarahemla (the Mulekites).
Words of Mormon. Mormon adds the small plates of Nephi to his abridgment of the large plates of Nephi, knowing that he does so “for a wise purpose.”
Click on the scripture references above, it will direct you to the whole scripture for quick reading on LDS.org
Relief Society -
- Sunday, April 17th - Card Shower for Anita Crocket's 90th Birthday! Many of you know Jamie Buxton's mother, Sister Crocket, a frequent visitor and in many ways a part of our Ward. Jamie is hoping to send 90 cards from family, friends & acquaintances to celebrate the occasion. Sister are encouraged to bring a birthday card for Anita on Sunday, April 17th and Sister Buxton will mail them off to her mom (no postage needed). Look for Jamie outside the RS room on Sunday where she will collect cards, notes and thoughts. It would be great to included a nice memory or impression. There will be some blank note cards available too.
- Save the Date - RS Activity May 19th - Come Fly With Us - more details to follow.
- I Was A Stranger - The Savior's invitation to make a difference. Click here to review the invitation from the First Presidency and the General Auxiliary Presidents.
Stake Formal Dances - Once Upon a Dream
- Friday, April 15 th - Adults 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Friday, April 15th - YSA's 10:00 pm - 1:00 am
- Saturday, April 16th - Priest/Laurel Prom 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: 50 Ragged Edge Rd., Chambersburg Stake Center
Stake Modesty Standards Apply
Youth Conference for ages 14 & up - Registration deadline April 17th, 2016
Wednesday, July 13 - Saturday, July 16
Location: Robert Morris University, Pittsburg, PA
Registration online - yc2016rmu.com
Saturday, April 23rd - Stake Day of Service
9:00 am - 1 pm Meet up at Pine Grove Furnace Ranger Station for a morning of service -
110 Pine Grove Rd., Gardners, PA 17324
Projects may include - clearing vegetation, planting trees, general cleanup, raking and trail rehabilitation. Bring gloves!
Ward Missionaries -
Friday, April 29th - 6:00 Gettysburg Ward Family Fireside
6:00 pm Pot luck - bring a side dish or dessert to share
6:30 pm Family activity
7:00 pm Fireside chat - featuring Cabrielle Rudisill, recently baptized member of the Chambersburg 2nd Ward
An evening of spiritual strengthening. All invited - bring along family & friends!
Stake Wide Seminary Graduation
Sunday, May 15th - 7:00 pm Chambersburg Stake Center
All seminary students, their families, and teachers are specifically invited. Anyone else who is interested may also attend. There will be light refreshments after the program.
Young Single Adult Activities -
Cumberland Valley YS Branch meets 11 am - 2 pm each Sunday at the Fairview Building. All are welcome! Text 717-404-6736 for more YSA information.
Family History Center - open Tuesday & Wednesday evenings from 7 pm - 8:30 pm.