What's the connection?
Implementing the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice, K-8
What does this mean for us?
- Number talks
- Problem of the day
- Anchor charts
- Math tool kits
- Math centers
- Guided math
Resources for getting started....
- My Math Performace Tasks - Search Performance Task - These are GREAT!
- NCTM: Video Series - Teaching & Learning Mathematics with the Common Core http://www.nctm.org/ccssm/
- Achieve the Core - Common Core Aligned Tasks http://achievethecore.org/dashboard/300/search/1/2/0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12
- High yield math routines (R Drive - 2015/2016 - LLT & Math) In this book, we present seven easily implemented mathematical routines that may be used effectively at a variety of grade levels and with a variety of mathematical content. We also provide some ideas for infusing mathematics into the nonmathematical routines that take time away from instruction.
- Putting the Practices into action http://www.heinemann.com/putting-the-practices-into-action/
- Illuminations Resources for Teaching Math https://illuminations.nctm.org/Default.aspx
Setting the stage
•Is there time for discussion
•Is there time for small group work
•Is there time to address individual student needs
•Are there “hands-on” materials
•Are the materials easily accessible
•Does the room arrangement promote collaboration
•Are the students encouraged to take risks
•Are the students discussing and defending their mathematical positions
•Are students encouraged to continue to persist on their own and/or in groups to find solutions
•Are teachers providing the answers or asking questions that allow students to make sense of the math
•Is the lesson teacher directed or is there a mix of small group, whole group and individual
What does it look like?
Number Talk Videos
Problem of the Day
Number of the Day
First in Math - Sharing Experiences
Group Problem Solving
Wall Prompts of Math Practices
Problem Solving Steps
Number Talk Sentence Starters