Madi McShan, Ayoung Jo, Xinqiu Huang
Also, there are many different types of vegetarians. One of many examples is vegans, who do not eat anything that is an animal product, including things like honey and gelatin.
There are more people choosing to become vegetarians nowadays, and becoming a vegetarian is a good idea, as long as you get all your necessary daily nutrients.
- many people today must go on gluten-free diets because the gluten damages the intestines of people that have celiac disease (an autoimmune disorder caused by the intolerance of gluten)
- over time, the build up of gluten in people with celiac disease can prevent absorption of necessary vitamins and minerals your body needs (fatigue, skin problems, and other health problems can occur due to gluten build up)
- Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat, rye, and barley (These grains are found in pasta, bread, pizza, cereal, most chips, soups, french fries, and many other foods)
- Many people that do not even have celiac disease or gluten intolerance will still go on “gluten-free diets,” and if done right, can be beneficial to one’s health
- gluten-free diets can still consist of junk food, because many manufacturers replace gluten with extra sugar and fat
- healthy gluten-free diet should consist mostly of fruits, vegetables, lean meat, and grains that are naturally gluten-free (i.e. brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa)
- Gluten free diets, if correctly done, can introduce you to many new, healthy alternative foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and many new natural healthy grains such as quinoa
- gluten free diet will limit the number of processed foods in one’s daily consumption.
Diabetes caused by too little insulin（a hormone profuce by the pancreas to control blood sugar）, resistance to insulin, or both.
These following things will happen when food is digested:
- A sugar called glucose(a source of fuel for the body) enters the bloodstream.
- An organ called the pancreas makes insulin. Insulin is used to move glucose from the bloodstream into muscle, fat, and liver cells as a fuel.
- The patients of Diabetes cannot move sugar into fat, liver, and muscle cells to be stored for energy, therefore they get high blood sugar.This is because either:
Their pancreas does not make enough insulin
Their cells do not respond to insulin normally
Both of the above
There are two major types of diabetes. The causes and risk factors are different for each type:
- Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age, but it is most often diagnosed in children, teens, or young adults. In this disease, the body makes little or no insulin. Daily injections of insulin are needed. The exact cause is unknown.
- Type 2 diabetes most often occurs in adulthood. However, because of high obesity rates, teens and young adults are now being diagnosed with it.
High blood sugar levels can cause several symptoms, including:
1 Blurry vision
2 Excess thirst
5 Urinating often
6 Weight loss
some people with high blood sugar have no symptoms because type 2 diabetes develop slowly.People may be very sick by the time they are diagnosed.Because symptoms of type 1 diabetes develop over a short period of time.
After many years, diabetes can lead to other serious problems:
Eye problems,[including trouble seeing (especially at night) and light sensitivity. You could become blind].
Your feet and skin can get painful sores and infections. Sometimes, your foot or leg may need to be removed.
Nerves in the body can become damaged, causing pain, tingling, and a loss of feeling.
- Because of nerve damage, you could have problems digesting the food you eat. This can cause trouble going to the bathroom. Nerve damage can also make it harder for men to have an erection.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch fine salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 medium carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
Special equipment: 12 cup muffin tin and paper liners
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin cups with paper muffin liners.
Whisk the flours with the brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl lightly whisk the egg, then whisk in the vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
Quickly and lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Stir in the carrots and pineapple just until evenly moist; the batter will be very thick. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn muffins out of the tins and cool on a rack. Serve warm.
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (4 oranges)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup strawberries, tops removed, and cut in 1/2
1 to 1 1/2 ripe bananas
Combine the orange juice, lime juice, strawberries, and banana in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until cold.
Healthy Banana CookiesIngredients:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of dates
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mash bananas in a big bowl
- Stir in oats, dates, oil, and vanilla
- Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an in greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes in oven
"To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."
Interval: Interval workouts consist of repeated shorter segments of fast running separated by slow jogging or standing recoveries. (ex. easy jog for three to five minutes and then do a one-minute high intensity run followed by a one-minute recovery jog. Repeat six to eight times and then do a three- to five-minute cool-down. )
Tempo: long warm-up and then take five minutes to increase your pace until you reach your lactate threshold pace which is 88 to 92 percent of your maximum heart rate. Maintain this pace for 15 to 20 minutes before gradually slowing back down to an easy jog.
Hill: helps you add strength and speed to your running. 2 miles of easy jogging (warmup) + 10 x 45-second hill repeats at a hard effort with 2-minute jogging recovery between reps + 2 miles easy jogging (cooldown)
Fartlek: base run that mixes in intervals of varying duration or distance. run at a relaxed pace with random fast intervals mixed in.
- One 10 minute sprint bike ride on flat terrain
- One long distance 30-60 minute bike ride
- One 20 minute hill bike ride
- Swimming does burn calories at a rate of about 3 calories a mile per pound of bodyweight. If you weigh 150 lbs. and it takes you 30 minutes to swim one mile (1,760 yards or 1,609 meters), then you will be using about 900 calories in one hour
- Swimming does exercise almost the whole body - heart, lungs, and muscles - with very little joint strain. It is great for general fitness, just not a great way to lose excess pounds.
Swimming for about 30 minutes for one day at least each week will help improve your heart, lungs, and muscles.
Healthy Cooking Video
"The reward is not so great without the struggle."