Developing Critical Readers
Engaging Students in Authentic and Rigorous Reading Workshop
October 5, 2015 / San Antonio, TX
Teach Critical Thinking Strategies and Provide "Just Right" Practice
Specifically designed for educators in grades 1st-8th Grades
- Effective Guided Reading Instruction
- When and How to Engage Students in Close Reading Tasks
- Crucial Critical Figure 19 Thinking Skills Proficient Readers Use
- 5 Steps for Planning and Teaching Small Group Lessons
- Purposeful Text Annotations
- Writing Responses to Reading
- Reading for Authentic Purposes
- Engaging Students in Rich Text Discussion That Deepens Understanding
- Gradually Increasing Text Complexity
- Using technology in Reading & Writing Instruction
- Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry Text Sources for Small Group Reading
- Example Lesson Plans and Tips for Planning
- And Much More!!!
Goals of the Seminar
- Understand tenets of effective small group reading instruction
- Identify critical thinking strategies and ways to engage students in applying the strategies to deepen comprehension
- Use real world topics to engage students
- Identify and explain comprehension strategies (Figure 19)
- Examine and implement authentic, rigorous reading practice activities for grades 1-8
- Explore engagement strategies for struggling students
Developing Critical Readers Workshop
Monday, Oct. 5th, 8:30am
850 Halm Blvd
San Antonio, TX
8:00am - 8:30am Registration
8:30am - 11:30am Morning Session
Lunch is on your own.
12:30pm - 3:30pm Afternoon Session
Wifi will be provided
B.Y.O.D. (Bring your own device)
6 hours of professional development earned
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Meet the Presenter
Register 3 or more staff members and receive a 10% discount. ($171 per person)
Principals & Assistant Principals attend FREE with the registration of 3 or more staff members.
You can register by Faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to
Kelly Harmon & Associates
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information please contact us today!
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them
Fax (972) 369-7327