Sixth Grade AIG Update
Interested in Chaperoning a Field Trip at AMS? Please see attached document.
CogAT Scores to Arrive Home Over the Winter Break
- Students who scored 85th percentile or higher on any battery of the CogAT will go on to take the Iowa Survey in Math, Reading, and Written Expression.
- Students who are already identified AIG will also take the Iowa Survey, regardless of their CogAT score.
Results from these assessments will allow Mrs. Nichols and Mrs. Landreth to assign the most appropriate middle school services for students. AIG at the middle school looks different from AIG at the elementary level. Be sure to read a description of different services by clicking this link. All AIG students begin sixth grade participating in Transition Study Group (which is a pull-out enrichment group that meets once/week during ELA). After the screening that takes place with CogAT and Iowa, your child's services might look different and change to be one of those listed here.
As a reminder, the CogAT measures learned reasoning abilities and thinking/problem-solving skills, while the Iowa measures content-specific knowledge and skills for a particular grade level. Measuring these two areas of both cognitive aptitude and academic readiness allows us to appropriately place students in services that will be challenging, rigorous, and accessible.
Sixth Grade AIG Field Trip to Earthshine Discovery Center
- Creative people see the problems and seek ways to solve them.
- Creative people are resilient and persist when things get tough.
- Creative people are able to carry out their vision, and they are able to find ways to re-purpose what's around them to solve problems.
Building a shelter from found logs, twigs, and leaves, and trying to start a fire with only flint and natural found materials gave students a great example of how it feels to be creative. They also were able to reflect on being creative with a "group" and how that can be a really challenging experience. We all agreed, at the end of the day, that working with others to solve problems gives you a lot more ideas with which to work!