A Debilitating Mental Illness
Who's the alcoholic? It could be any of them.
- Over 17 million adults have some kind of issue with addiction problem with alcohol
- About 855,000 adolescents are alcoholics
Tips for Supporting Someone who Struggles with Alcohol Addiction:
- Do not drink or discuss alcohol around them
- Do not cover up their behavior for them (calling them in sick because they are hungover, lying to family about their problem, etc.)
- Do not use labels or make them feel bad about themselves or their problem, as this type of emotion is often what led to excessive drinking in the first place