December 21, 2018
Events and Lessons From Around Wildfire
2018 Spelling Bee
Nintendo Labo in action
Kindergarten Gingerbread Madness!!!
Holidays Around the World
Celebrating the End of the 1st Semester
3rd-Grade Holiday STEM Challenge
News from the Nurse's Office
It is hard to believe that we have made it to holiday break and 2019 is just around the corner!
As many of you will be heading out to cold weather climates, I thought it would be a good time to remind everyone of some sledding, ice skating, and skiing safety tips:
- It is safer to sled feet first or sitting up, instead of lying down head-first.
- Sled on slopes that are not too steep and are free of obstructions like trees or fences.
- Skate only on approved surfaces.
- Skate in one direction with the crowd.
- Never skate alone.
- Do not chew gum or eat candy.
- Wear a helmet when skiing.
- Stay away from crowded areas.
As we are seeing more cases of ill students, I want to remind you of District policy with regards to when students may return to school:
Students may not return to school until they have been fever-free, without the use of fever reducing medicine, for a minimum of 24 hours (fever is defined as any temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher). Students must also remain at home until they have been vomit–free or diarrhea-free for 24 hours. If a student has been diagnosed with a contagious illness and has been prescribed an antibiotic, then the student may not return to school until 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotic has been taken.
Please be sure to get the two vaccines that are required once your student turns 11 years old. The Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines are now due at age 11 regardless of grade level. Updated vaccine records can be faxed or scanned to me if more convenient.
It is not too late to get the flu vaccine. The vaccine is the best prevention against the flu. For more info, go to
HEALTHY AND HAPPY HOLIDAY BREAK TO ALL!
Monday, Feb. 4th 2019 at 5-6pm
3997 East Lockwood Drive
Come meet the best kindergarten staff in the entire Paradise Valley Unified School District. See the classrooms and learn why Wildfire Elementary School is the best place for your future kindergarten student to begin their education journey!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
PV STEAM Celebration!
Saturday, Jan. 26th 2019 at 11am-2pm
3950 East Bell Road
Join us to celebrate the innovative STEAM activities that happen every day at PVSchools!
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.: STEM demonstrations, art displays, live musical performances, business, and industry displays, PV Science and Engineering Fair Open House
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.: PV Science and Engineering Fair Awards
- Live Music
- Business and Industry Expo
- Rubik's Cube Competition - Register for the Rubik's Cube Competition Here
9th annual PV Schools 5K Community Run/Walkathon
Saturday, Feb. 9th 2019 at 9am
5601 East Greenway Road
Cost: $10 Adults; $5 ages 11 -19; Free ages 10 & under but be sure to register them so you can choose a t-shirt size (waiver must be signed and must have parental supervision - can't just drop them off). NO REFUNDS will be given.
For safety reasons, no pets will be allowed.
Wildfire Staff Recognition!
If you would like to recognize a staff member at WFES, give them a shoutout by completing this short form: http://bit.ly/2LEa7Xb
All shout outs will be shared and celebrated with the staff!
On the Calendar
Important Upcoming Dates
- Last Day of the Semester - December 21st
- Winter Break - December 24th - January 4th
- Classes Resume/Second Semester Begins - January 7th, 2019
- Chipotle Night - January 10th
- School Wide STEM Day - January 15th
- Early Release Day - January 15th
- PV Pre-School Universe - January 17th
- District Spelling Bee - January 18th
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No School - January 21st
- State of the District at PV Board Meeting - January 24
- PTO Bingo Night - January 25th
- Box Top Collection - January 25th
- Parent Teacher Conferences - January 28th - February 1st
- Early Dismissal (Conferences) - January 31st
- Early Dismissal (Conferences) - February 1st
- Kindergarten Round-Up - February 4th