Vol. 4 (September 27, 2015)
- Gg Oo Pp
- -Letter Knowledge
- Your child is responsible for all of the letters (recognizing) and their individual sounds that we have learned up to this point. Please continue to review them.
- Letter Sound
- Letter Formation
- Please have your children practice reading their letter books. They should be able to read them independently. Make sure they are pointing as they are reading and looking at the words. Keep these books to use as reinforcement of our reading skills and decoding skills.
-Foundations of Reading:
- Reading Left to Right
- Reading Top to Bottom (read and sweep)
- 1 to 1 correspondence
- **Difference between a letter and a word.
- Author/ Illustrator
-What is an author?
-What is an illustrator?
-What are their jobs?
- What is a title of a book?
- Where is the title on a book?
-Reading "snap words":
- I you it of and
- -Secret Stories (decoding skills)
- Vowels ("Super Heros") short and long sounds
- "two vowels..."
- We continued with the book study of Chrysanthemum this week
- Number of letters in everyone's name
- graphing everyone's name
- How many letters does your name have?
- How many vowels does your name have?
Number Knowledge (focus-0-10)
- Numeral representation
- Now that we have learned how to write our numerals (0-9) we began this week deeply talking about what each numeral really means (See the pictures attached...no laughing at my artwork) :)
- days of the week
- Who was Johnny Appleseed?
- How was his life like ours?
- How was his life different than ours?
We read many books about Johnny
- Bookflix.com had a great non-fiction text about him
- Brainpopjr (should be free this week to watch) I tried to attach the link
- 4 Seasons
- What is special about fall?
- Changes in fall
Geese are flying south
Squirrels gather nuts
Pumpkins are ready to carve
Time to pick the apples
Holidays in the fall
- We read books about fall
- We went on a fall walk to observe the changes
- We watched a Brainpopjr (brainpopjr.com) show about fall
- We are working on our own Fall pattern book
I cannot always attached the books that we read, but I do try to attach a few each week so you can be familiar with some of what we are reading and singing in class.
We have one more "baseline" assessment to complete this week. We will be completing the "I-Ready" assessment on Tuesday in the computer lab. I-ready" is an English Arts assessment. Once your child has a baseline score then the program will begin to assign activities/lessons on the skills they need. We plan to use I-Ready in our classroom and for homework this year.
TEACHER THEME BASKET!
I'm sending out a BIG "thank you" to all of you that sent in items and/or money for our class basket! I appreciate all of your help and donations!!
Ms. Orefice will be shopping for and assembling our basket this week. (Thank you Ms. Orefice!)
It will be auctioned off this Friday at our Dragon Pride Night!
DRAGON PRIDE NIGHT
Friday, Oct. 2nd, 6:30-9pm
1215 Moss Farm Street Northwest
- October 2-Dragon Pride Night
- October 13- Individual pictures (tentative)
- **October 30th Letterland Parade and "Fall Festivities" (more info to come)