Native American Oral Traditions
By Chantel Gullett and Travis McCulley
What are the Types of Myths?
Creation myths and Origin Myths
- Creation- describes how the world and people came to be
- Origin- describes a natural occurrence such as the outer space, the landscapes, and beliefs and virtues of the people
What is Oral Tradition?
- Began about 40,000 years ago
- Each culture holds it's own way of life, creating their own stories an and myths
- Each hold their own language
- Stories passed from generation to generation during ceremonies and in their own houses
- Stories symbolized and involved the past, explain their relationship with the world.
- Stories were created by everybody- everybody participated in telling and it was created by everybody
What Is an Archetype?
- Was used a symbol or a characters persona found from within the story
- Examples characters- Hero, Trickster, Thief, or a liar
- Examples Symbols- Good or bad, Knowledge, and/ or Death