Paulo Panther Weekly
Weekly events and announcements: 01/02/2022
Paulo's 8th Grade Movie Night CANCELLED
Unfortunately, we regret to inform you due to the current situation our community is facing with COVID, we are cancelling Movie Night.
All families who have registered will receive full refunds credited back to the initial source of payment. Please allow 5 to 7 days for funds to be processed.
My Sister's Keeper: Join by Mon. Jan 10th
My Sister's Keeper builds a acommunity for emotional, social, academic support and leadersip empowerment for middle and high school girls. To be a part of our chapter at Paulo, follow the link to sign up. My Sister's Keeper Form There is no cost associated with this program.
ELA Test Prep 2022
I am pleased to inform you that we are offering students the opportunity to participate in an ELA State Test Prep Program devoted to providing him/her with the skills needed to become more proficient in ELA. The program will prepare your child for the 2022 New York State ELA Exam. Please note that the ELA State Exam is scheduled for Tuesday, March 29th and Wednesday, March 30th.
· This program will be held virtually each Wednesday after school from 3:30 PM until 5:00 PM.
· The nine-week program is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, January 12, 2022 and will end on Wednesday, March 23, 2022.
· There will be no class on February 23rd (Winter Break) and March 9th (Parent Teacher Conference).
There is no charge for this class. However, if students miss more than two classes they will be removed from the program.
· We encourage your child to enroll in this program. If you would like your child to participate, please complete the online registration form by Tuesday, January 11th, 2022.
· Online registration for this program (“Virtual” ELA Test Prep 2022) can be found via our website at www.is75.org under the School Store/Online Payments tab. If you are interested in registering more than one child, you must register for each child separately.
After registering, your child will receive an invite to an ELA Test Prep Google classroom.
Mr. Joseph Mariconda
ATTN 8th GRADE: High School Application Update
· The high school application for students entering high school in Fall 2022 will open in late January (during the week of January 24, 2022). Families will be notified when the application opens.
· The deadline for families to submit their high school application will be in early March (the week of February 28, 2022).
· High school programs that use the screened admissions method will use multiple measures as their screening criteria. These measures will include submission of a work sample from last year (such as essays, reports, etc)and first semester grades from this school year. This year, due to the absence of reliable or current state exam results, state test scores will not be used.
In the CHAMPS Sports and Fitness Program, students participate in fun, safe, and supervised physical activities before school. The name CHAMPS stands for Cooperative, Healthy, Active, Motivated and Positive Students.
CHAMPS will run through Feb. 18, 2022.. Hours are 6:30 am to 7:30 am, Monday through Friday. Those who wish to participate must be vaccinated. Any questions email FSciarabba@schools.nyc.gov
International Multicultural Celebration at IS75
I.S.75 is planning an International Multicultural Celebration for February 17th, 2022 at Paulo from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. We would love for parents and guardians to join in and share their heritage with our school community. Our initial planning meeting will take place on Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 9:00 a.m via Zoom (due to the community health concerns of COVID). Parents and guardians who are interested are invited to attend this initial planning meeting and will be sent a link to join the planning meeting via ZOOM.
Please feel free to email Ms. Boshnack with any questions or concerns!
Please use this link to sign up no later than
Tuesday, January 4th by 3:00PM - https://forms.gle/zDZmny8axn4JUvyu9
Students only: Please fill out the form to let us know if you can stay after school on Thursday's from 2:30-3:30 to work on your poster board for the International Fair. Culture Club will start on Thursday, January 6th Can't wait to learn about all your cultures and share them at the Paulo International Fair! CLICK HERE FOR THE FORM TO JOIN
The Paulo Pages- IS75's Digital Newspaper
After-School Recreation Winter 2022 (In-person & remote options)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 7, 2022
- YOUTUBE ACADEMY (MR. ALKHATIB) MONDAYS/THURSDAYS 3:30 to 5:00PM REMOTE
- BASKETBALL (MR. D'AMICO) MONDAYS 2:25 to 3:55 PM, GYMNASIUM
- SCHOOL NEWSPAPER CLUB MR. FERRARO & MS. HENRICH, *REMOTE 3:10PM-4:10PM, TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
- ART CLUB (MS. IMPARATO) TUESDAYS ROOM 424 2:25-3:55PM
- SCIENCE CLUB (MS. LAFATA) WEDNESDAYS, ROOM 253, 2:25-3:55PM
- BAKING (MS. SPERATO) WEDNESDAYS, *REMOTE 4:00-5:00PM
- PAINTING (MS. IMPARATO) WEDNESDAYS ROOM 424 2:25 - 3:55 PM
- HARRY POTTER CLUB (PROFESSOR FEIGEL) THURSDAYS ROOM 243 2:25-3:55 PM
- FOOTBALL (MR. D'AMICO) THURSDAYS GYMNASIUM 2:25-3:55 PM
- MARVEL CLUB (MS. HENRICH & MS. KEE) WEDNESDAYS ROOM 205 2:25 - 3:55 PM
To register, find out cost, and for more information, visit our website @ www.is75.org.
To Pay, click School Store/Online Payments
For full details, click After School Recreation - Winter 2022
Heart of Humble Heroes Hundred-Day Challenge Nov. 19th through Feb. 27th
Students have 100 days to volunteer in their community, log their hours, post their journey, and submit an essay or Flipgrid about how they made an impact. The challenge runs from November 19th - February 27th. One winner from each grade will be chosen by the Humble Heroes and receive a monetary prize, and all participants will receive 2 service credits.
Final Submission Due Friday March 4th, 2022
Notices and volunteer logs went home Wed. Nov. 17 in the students' backpacks. If you have any questions, reach out to Miss LaRocca at firstname.lastname@example.org
***New COVID Protocols from the new Chancellor David Banks***
We hope you had a restful holiday and were able to spend time with your loved ones. As we welcome students back into our classrooms from a well-deserved winter break, our highest priority continues to be the health and safety of our students, families, and staff. To this end, we are putting additional health and safety measures in place to ensure students and staff are safe and that our schools can continue to be open.
The following updates were made in partnership with our City and State public health colleagues and are based on federal and scientific guidance.
Home Test Kits
● Beginning January 3, schools will distribute free, take-home COVID-19 rapid test kits to any student or staff who exhibit COVID-like symptoms or have been in a classroom where a positive case has been identified.
● If your child was exposed to COVID-19 at school, please help your child take the first test on the day they receive the home test and help your child take the second test five days after exposure or at the first indication of symptoms.
o Your child may continue to attend school as long as your child receives negative test results and does not experience any symptoms of COVID-19.
o If your child has COVID-like symptoms or feels ill before the fifth day, please have your child isolate and take the second home test immediately.
o If your child tests positive on either home test, your child must isolate for 10 days following the first positive result. Please contact your child’s school immediately to inform them and for further guidance.
● If your child had symptoms of COVID-19 at school, please help your child take the first test immediately and help your child take the second test 24 hours later.
o Your child may not attend school until they receive negative results on both of these home tests taken within 24 hours of each other and have been fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication OR if your child receives a negative test result from a PCR COVID test.
o If your child tests positive on either home test, your child must isolate for 10 days following the first positive result. Please contact your child’s school immediately and report the test results.
● Any student who tests positive on a take-home test should immediately report it to the school and begin isolating. Students who test positive must isolate for 10 days and can return to school on Day 11. No negative test is required to return to school.
● As a reminder, all students, staff and visitors must pass the DOE health screener in order to enter school buildings. Additional questions will be added to the health screeners for those students and staff who receive at-home rapid test kits to share their negative result. No other proof of a negative result is required in order for these students to enter the school building.
New Quarantine Policy
Our goal is to ensure that students safely remain in school as much as possible, and we have updated our policies to ensure we meet this goal. This means that if there is a positive case in a classroom:
● For students in kindergarten through grade 12, unvaccinated or not yet fully-vaccinated students who were in close proximity to a positive case will no longer have to quarantine and will continue attendingschool if they do not have symptoms and do not have a positive test result from a COVID test. Instead,all students and adults in that classroom will receive a take-home rapid test kit and take two tests overthe course of five days.
● For students in 3-K and Pre-K, the quarantine policy will remain the same, meaning that any 3-K or pre-K student who was in close proximity to a positive case will still have to quarantine for 10 days.
Increased In-School Surveillance Testing
To further ensure the safety of our students, families, and staff, the in-school surveillance testing program isexpanding to double the number of individuals tested in each school, including both vaccinated andunvaccinated students, in grades 1 and up. The random in-school surveillance program continues to providepublic health experts with an accurate look at the prevalence of COVID-19 in schools. We encourage all
families who have not yet submitted consent, regardless of whether their child is vaccinated, to consent to inschooltesting through their NYC Schools Account (schoolsaccount.nyc) or return a signed paper form to theschool. Additional information on testing for students and the printable version of the consent form in multiplelanguages can be found on the New York City Department of Education (DOE) website:
Testing is a critical part of keeping schools open and communities safe. Thank you to those families who havealready consented to testing, and for your cooperation by participating in our in-school testing program!
COVID-19 Testing Sites
● The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) continues to open new testing sites throughout the five boroughs. We strongly encourage that all students get tested for COVID-19, througha PCR, lab-based rapid test, or a home test kit on a continuous basis, regardless of vaccination status.
For a list of testing sites, including sites with at-home rapid tests, call 212-COVID19, visit
nyc.gov/covidtest, text "COVID TEST" to 855-48, or call 311 to find a nearby testing site.
● Additionally, many pharmacies and doctors’ offices are offering COVID-19 testing. Please check withyour pediatrician’s office or local pharmacy to see if you can schedule a test.
We know that nothing is more important to you than keeping your children in school, learning in healthyand safe environments. The changes we are announcing today aim to keep students in our classrooms with theleast amount of disruption as possible, while putting their safety front and center.We will continue to update you as the situation changes and hear your feedback on these updated policies andprocedures. We thank you in advance for partnering with us to keep our children and staff safe in school.
David C. Banks
New York City Schools Chancellor
SCHOOL SPIRIT CALENDAR FOR 2021-2022
Upcoming Paulo Spirit days:
January 7, 2022 – College Awareness Day- Wear your favorite college swag
February 11, 2022 – Football Jersey Day
February 14, 2022 – Wear Red for Valentine’s Day
February 17, 2022 - International Night
March 17, 2022 – Wear Green for St. Patrick’s Day
April 8, 2022- Basketball Jersey Day
April 29, 2022 – Light it Up Blue for Autism
May 4, 2022- Star Wars Day
May 27, 2022 – Superhero Day
June 1, 2022-Soccer Jersey Day
Saturday Morning Math Tutoring
"Virtual" Math Tutoring on Saturdays
Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM
Classes will not meet the week of break on Saturday Dec 25 and January 1. They will resume on January 8th and continue through January 22nd.
Classes are taking place remotely. Students WILL NOT report to school.
You must register your child at IS75.org under the School Store/Online Payments tab in order to attend math tutoring. After registering, the student will receive an invite to the google classroom.
Useful Links: Self-help
- Daily Health screening https://healthscreening.schools.nyc/
- Health and Safety in Our Schools COVID-19 School Health Policy.
- IS75 Website https://www.is75.org/
- NYC Schools Account Portal NYC Schools Account (NYCSA)
- Parent Consent for Testing New York City Schools Account (NYCSA)
- School Food Forms https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
- Student Account information schools.nyc.gov/studentaccounts
- Student-Family Handbook https://www.is75.org/pdfs/Paulo%20Student-Family%20Handbook%202021-22%20_1_.pdf
- Student transportation https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/transportation/transportation-overview/whats-ne
- Vaccine portal Vaccine.schools.nyc