Mrs. Bertsche and Mrs. Gilbert
Newsletter Week of November 18, 2013
What we are learning
Reading –As we start reading we will be learning about the front cover, back cover, spine, title, author, and illustrator. Students are also encouraged to ask questions while reading. Students will also be learning he difference between a story and a poem. Students are working on being able to tell the characters in a story.
Math – Working on the number 12 reviewing 2 dimensional shapes.
Color Words – Reviewing all the colors.
Letters – We are working on the letter Ll. Please work with your child on all their letters and sounds.
Sight Words – Please practice the following sight words: I, am, little, the, a, to, have, is, we, my, like, he, for, red, yellow, blue, orange, green, black, brown, white, pink, she, with, me, we.
Writing - We will be working on putting spaces between words and ending each sentence with a period. Please have your child start sounding out words.
-Story ("Rin the Rat") Please practice reading the story with your child. Wok with your child every night on this story so that your child can read it perfectly to me on Friday. Please practice reading the title of the story with your child too.
-Sight Words:Please make sure you have all flashcards for the following sight words: I, am,
little, the, a, to, have, is, we, my, like, he, for, red, yellow, blue, orange, green, black, brown, white, pink, she, with, me, we. (If you need notecards please let me know; do not get rid of these; you will add to these every week.)
-Writing Worksheet: Please practice tracing the letter Ll and the number and word 12.
-Color Worksheet: Color the spaces the correct color.
Other Classroom News
* Please make sure you are checking your child's rocket folder and behavior chart every night.
* Please make sure you are checking and signing your child's behavior chart every night.
* If you have any notes to send in, please put them in the rocket folder.
* If you are sending money in please put it in a sandwich bag or an envelope saying what the money is for and put it in the rocket folder.
* Please do not allow your child to bring toys to school unless it is for an assignment.
* Please work with your child on zipping up coats and jackets and tying their shoes. After winter break we will not be doing this for the children any more.
*If you are sending in birthday treats please make sure you are sending in enough for 24 students.
*Please make sure your child's binder is in order. The order is behavior chart, newsletter, homework, practice work, take home folder.
*Please send in $2 by November 15th for our Thanksgiving Feast.
*Pictures with Santa are on November 19th. If you would like your child to have their picture taken Santa, please send in $5 in an envelope or sandwhich bag marked "Pictures with Santa".
-November 19th: Pictures with Santa
-November 25th: Skate Night
-November 27th-28th: No school