SMM PARENT NEWSLETTER
March 6, 2020
TOGETHER WE MAKE GREAT THINGS HAPPEN
Simone Boell, Brad Binder, Sister Donna Baker, Marion Ciulla, Karen Soulet, Cherie Stockton, Kathleen Craig, Kaleb Manuel, Gerald Doucet, Mike Reams, Dale Davis, Lorraine Olmo, ZacharyCresson, Keith Baumgarter, Leslie Bouvier, Burt Bamping, Kasey Hart, Patsy Meyers, Joshua Smith, Dave Bonnar, and Dale McCloskey.
For the repose of the soul of Dave Morel; for his family and friends; and for all those who mourn his loss.
** Doors open at 6:30 pm Friday night & 1:30 pm Sunday afternoon
BRING YOUR IDEAS & ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES ... THE SOIREE' IS BACK!
New parents, the Soiree is a fund raiser for our teachers. Several years ago, some SMM parents formed a committee to find a way to supplement the salaries of the SMM teachers since they are paid considerably less than their public school counterparts. The Soiree Committee, as they became known, gave birth to the ever successful Soiree'. It is a fun night of dancing, dining, and outbidding your friends for precious and priceless auction items.
If you are interested in planning the fun, come to our planning committee meeting Monday, March 9 at 7:00 pm in the cafeteria.
Together, we make great things happen!
ST. MARGARET MARY CHURCH TRAVELING VOCATION CHALICE
Father Ed has asked that SMM school parents consider taking the Vocation Chalice home for a week. SMM parents are asked to sign up in the back of the church for a week stating which day and Mass that they would like to receive the chalice. Parents will take the case home on their designated Sunday and return it to church the following Saturday so another couple may take it home. Once they have the chalice in their homes, parents place it in a place of honor and offer their prayers for an increase and perseverance of holy vocations. The consecrated chalice comes in a wooden case and with prayers and information.
YOUR MORNING NEWS PROGRAM
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM FR. ED
This year you will receive the third of the Safe Haven books. The books will be sent home with the youngest or only child in the family.
I hope this book will assist you in discussing this relevant topic with your sons and daughters.
Please read below Archbishop Aymond’s reflection in reference to this third Safe Haven Sunday program.
With the technological advances in our culture and a growing awareness of the dangers that come with this, we as a Church are called to protect and promote unity and the need for strong relationships within the family. When a family is truly connected they are more aware of the ways in which their children and grandchildren are struggling, especially in regards to the effects of exposure to dangerous content online. This first Sunday of Lent, we in the Archdiocese of New Orleans invite all parents, parishes, schools, and all organizations to learn more about this common struggle and how we can protect and provide healing for our loved ones, especially our children.
Most Reverend Gregory M. Aymond
Archbishop of New Orleans
Champions of Catholic Education Tuition Assistance
First Bank and Trust is partnering with the Office of Catholic Schools to process online financial aid applications for parents applying for tuition assistance through the Champions of Catholic Education. The program is open to families with school-aged children attending Catholic schools, in grades Kindergarten through 12th, within the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
How do I apply for tuition assistance through the Champions of Catholic Education?
- The student must be enrolled at one of the Catholic schools within the Archdiocese of New Orleans in grades Kindergarten through 12th before submitting an application for the Champions of Catholic Education.
- To begin the online process, go to https://tuitionportal.fbtonline.com to set up your User Id and Password on the First Bank and Trust portal. Be sure to know the submission deadlines.
- From the Dashboard, click on the “Financial Aid Tab” and then click on the “Champions of Catholic Education Application” link to start your application.
- From the “Start” page, begin completing all fields and sections of the application that apply to your family.
The application window will close on Friday, April 3, 2020.
You will need the following information to complete your application:
- Your school’s 2020-2021 tuition and fee schedule
- Your bank’s routing number and account number to complete the $40 processing fee
- Copy of your signed most recent federal form 1040 income tax return with all W-2’s
- Copies of two (2) most recent employment paystubs for all applicants
- Copies of all non-taxable income documentation (Social Security and Disability Income)
- Documentation of Monthly Rental Expense or Mortgage Statement
- Court Orders showing alimony, child support, and any financial agreements
- From the “Documentation” page, you will be required to upload the required documents through a secure online process. Documents may also be faxed to First Bank and Trust to the attention of “Financial Aid Processing” at (504) 620-1450 or mailed to 909 Poydras Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112.
- From the “Payment” page, you will be required to enter your bank’s routing number and your bank account number to process the non-refundable $40.00 application fee.
Once you submit your online application, you will receive a confirmation email from FBT. If additional information or documentation is required, you will be contacted by a bank representative at the email address or phone number provided.
Once the review of your application has been completed by First Bank and Trust, your information will be forwarded to the Office of Catholic Schools for a final determination on tuition assistance and you will be notified via email by August. You will not receive tuition assistance results from First Bank and Trust.
Annual SMM School St. Joseph’s Day Altar
We are pleased once again to have Mrs. Paula Powell, former SMM mom and current SMM grandmother, coordinate our St. Joseph’s Day Altar. Our students have enjoyed the altar over many years, and it will open on March 19th from 9:30 am to noon!
Mrs. Powell and friends will be baking on Wednesday, March 11th from 2:30 – 8:00 pm and setting up on Wednesday, March 18th at 8:00 am. She could use quite a few helpers on these two days.
Again, we will need a lot of donations of individual items, cookies (especially Easter or Italian cookies), muffins, and decorations of religious shapes. Remember – no nuts, please! Please bring your donations to the school cafeteria on Wednesday, March 18th and Thursday, March 19th. We hope to have enough donations for all our students and staff to enjoy! We invite our parents and grandparents to join us for the blessing of the St. Joseph’s Altar and our Tupa Tupa starring some of our students at 9:15 am.
Mrs. Powell will need parents to assist with replenishing the altar on March 19th during the day (between 9:30 am and noon) and with break down afterwards (noon-1:00 pm). If you are available to help, please contact Mrs. Powell.
Paula Powell’s contact number is 504-452-2846.
Thanks & God Bless,
NO MEAT ON FRIDAY ... NO PROBLEM
The Men's Club has got you covered. Our Fabulous, Famous Friday Fish Fry dinners are available Fridays from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Dine In or Drive Thru Service available. Please enter the back gate near El Paso Restaurant for the Drive Thru Line.
For only $10.00, you can choose a plate of delicious fried catfish, mac n' cheese, green beans, roll OR fish tacos, potatoes, green beans. What a deal!
CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO VOLUNTEER FOR SERVICE HOURS:
Best Lent Ever - It's Not What You Give Up, It's What You Become
MORE JAGFEST INFO
SCHOOL LUNCH MENUS FOR MARCH
2019-2020 SMM SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR
- The Five Languages of Love Presentation and PotLuck Dinner
- Daylight Savings Time Begins - Spring Forward
Sunday, March 8
- SMM School Play 2:00 pm Gym
Monday, March 9
- Robotics Mtg 3:00 - 4:00 pm Science Lab
- Soiree Planning Mtg 7:00 pm Cafeteria
Tuesday, March 10
- 6th & 7th Grade Exams: Science/Reading
- Kindergarten Field Trip
Wednesday, March 11
- 6th & 7th Grade Exams: English/Religion
Thursday, March 12
- SPIRIT Day/Papa John's Pizza Night
- 6th & 7th Grade Exams: Math Social Studies
Friday, March 13
- School Mass 8:30 am Church Parents Are Invited
- End of 3rd Quarter - NO BUS SERVICE - NOON DISMISSAL
- NO AFTERCARE
- Donuts with Dads in PreK Classrooms 8:00 - 9:00 am
- Men's Club Fish Fry
Saturday, March 14
- New Orleans Spelling Bee - SMM Representatives Competing
- PJP Jagfest
Monday, March 16
- Cheer Tryout Clinic 3:00 - 5:00 pm Gym
- Intramurals Begin
Tuesday, March 17
- Happy St. Patrick's Day
- Fire Drill 9:05 am
- Cheer Tryout Clinic 3:00 - 5:00 pm Gym
- PTO Board Mtg 7:00 pm E-Bldg - Room C
Wednesday, March 18
- 7th Grade Baton Rouge Field Trip
- 6th Grade Field Trip
Thursday, March 19
- St. Joseph's Day Altar in Cafeteria 9:00 am - Noon
- Report Cards Issued
- 4th Grade Field Trip
- Cheer Tryouts 3:00 - 5:00 pm E-Bldg Hall