First Grade Update
February 12, 2016
Dates to Remember:
- Each Friday: Homework Due
- Feb. 15: No School for Students
- Feb. 19: Mid-Year Data Sheets will come home
- Feb. 23: Class Picture Day
- Mar. 10: Lakeside Open House @ 6-7 p.m.
- Mar. 11: Deadline for Jump Rope for Heart donations to be turned in to Mrs. Bladl
This week, we discussed various genres of text (fairy tales, nonfiction, biographies, mystery, etc.) and characteristics of each. We also reviewed some common strategies needed when reading/comprehending such as attending to the picture, ensuring what you read makes sense, and checking for understanding after each 1-2 pages read.
In spelling, we learned that a compound word is when two words are joined together to create a new word (ex. base + ball= baseball).
In social studies, we continued our study on presidents and first ladies. We are enjoying expanding our knowledge about historical figures!
In math, we learned about fact families and the concept of related facts. We even had a lot of practice creating fact families of our own!
In science, we learned about weather and changes we observe in the sky.
Thank you to all of you who volunteered your time, energy, and resources to help with the Valentine's Party. The kids had a spectacular time thanks to all of your hard work!
Winter Recess Details
- Label coats, hats, mittens, sweatshirts, etc.
- Check lost and found frequently for missing items.
- Encourage your child to be responsible for their belongings and bring jackets home from cubbies EACH DAY! We supervise as they pack up, but we cannot do full cubby sweeps each day, and fostering more independence is the goal. :)
Note from Nurse Lander
Remember... your child MUST BE fever and vomit free for 24 hours before they can return to school. Thank you for your consideration in this!
Mid-year data sheets (like the ones you got at the October conference) will come home on Friday, February 19. We ask that you sign and return those.
If we have a concern about your child, we will be contacting you to set up a conference. If you wish to conference, please let your child's teacher know after the mid-year sheets come home. We're happy to answer any questions you have!
Quotes of the Month
“You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say.” Martin Luther
“Your gifts and talents will take you there but your character will keep your there.” Gail Williams