Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954, in Kosciusko, Mississippi. she attended school at Tennesse State University after winning a 1,000 dollar scholarship with her speech, "The Negro, The Constitution, and the United States" delivered in front of 10,000 elks. She was the first black to win Nashville's Miss Fire Prevention title.
Oprah Winfrey, a billionaire businesswoman one of the most wealthy and powerful people in America.
In the mid-1980's Winfrey was the first black host nationally syndicated weekday talk show
She was the third woman to own her own studio (HARPO) which she started in 1988.
She encouraged her viewers and readers to improve their life by improving others so she started a public charity called Oprah's Angel Network in which people public contributions to offer support and scholarships.
She formed a private charity called the Oprah Winfrey Foundation to offer aid to educate and support women and opened a girls' school in south Africa.
Winfrey is described as a "media titan" and a "cultural force", she has become one of the most influential women in the world, she is respected by both her business and cleverness and generous humanitarianism. Winfrey received the award for best female action star.the same organization also presented Winfrey with its lifetime award
Choices and Results
Winfrey made a very important decision in May 2011 by ending her talk show. The last episode looked back over 25 years of programs, guests, and inspiration. Before leaving she encouraged her viewers to find and embrace their passion. Winfrey was honored on June 19, 2011, at the Daytime Emmy Awards with a new award, the Crystal Pillar Award, for changing the face of daytime television.
In her words
- As. You become more clear about who you really are, you'll better able to decide what is best for you-the first time around.
Words for her
- I was in Nepal and I had watched Oprah Winfrey's show. I had no idea , as a kid in Nepal, who she was. But I remember watching an episode of hers about living your dreams.
- "Oprah Winfrey." Contemporary Black Biography. Vol. 61. Detroit: Gale,2007. Biography in Context. Web. 4 May 2016. (I chose this bigraphy because it best showed the accomplishments and choices made by Oprah Winfrey. It explaines her life in detail and thoroughly explains her life from her childhood to her present life.)
- Students.tnstate.edu (I chose this picture of Tennessee state university because it ahows what school Oprah Winfrey attended. And it also represents how she is now an notable alumni of this school.)
- "Oprah Winfrey Attends Obama Inauguration." Upi Photo Collection. 2009. Biography in Context. Web. May 2016. (I chose this picture as an example of the credit Winfrey received after ending her show. And how an award was made on her behalf for the positive impact she had on Chicago.)
- "Oprah Winfrey speaks To Graduates At Harvard University." Upi Photo Collection. 2013. Biography in Context. Web. 4 May 2016.(I chose this picture to represent Oprah excepting an award on behalf of one of her many accomplishments. It shows how she has rea hed succes and is now being rewarded for what she has done for others.)
- "Oprah Winfrey Attends international Film Festival." Photo Collection. 2009. Biography in Context. Web. 4 May 2016( I chose this photo as an close up on Winfrey to show how happy she looks. I also chose this photo to represent how much of an inspiration she has been to people all over the world.)
- "Oprah Gail Winfrey." Encyclopedia of world biography. Detroit : Gale,@998. Biography in. Web.9 May 2016(I chose this article because it had more background information on Winfrey. It also talks about how her misfortunes pushed her toward success.)
- "Oprah Winfrey." St.james encyclopedia of popular culture. Detroit: Gale,2013. Biography in context. Web. 9 May 2016(I chose this article because it went into detail about Winfreys accomplishments. It explains the awards and what they were for.)
- "Oprah Winfrey." Business leader profiles for students. Ed . Sheila Dow and jamie E. Noce. Vol. 2. Detroit: gale,2002. Biography in Context. Web. 9 may 2016( I chose this article because it went into detail about Winfrey's struggle to get to where she is. And how she did it.
- "Oprah Winfrey at Matrix Awards." Upi photo collection.2010 biography in Context. Web.4 may 2016(I chose this particular picture to show how far Oprah has come from her tv show. Now she even gas her own magazine.)
- Brainyquote.com( I cgose specific quotes because, It shows how oprah inspires and motivates others to meet there full potential. And the second quote shows how people listen and take what she is saying to heart.