The Rideau Report
Happy New Year!
Bonjour Rideau Families!
Happy New Year everyone! I hope you are ready for a great winter semester at Rideau.
First, a quick reminder that there is no pizza this week. The deadline to order for next week is tomorrow, Tuesday January 10.
Quick turnaround on the Choices at 7. 2023-2024 Choices at 7 information and applications are now available on LDSB’s website: https://limestone.on.ca/programming/choices_at_7 The turn around for these program is really tight, don't delay.
We are lucky that the weather is mild, but it is January in Canada, so we can expect it to turn cold very soon. Students will need hats, mitts, boots and snowsuits.
Four classes are going to Gould Lake next week, the permission forms are in SchoolDay.
We are still looking for an artist to help us with our welcoming mural. Contact me if you are interested or let your artist friends know.
January will go by really fast, I am sure, so please take note that February 3 is a PA Day and there is no school for students.
In case we get inclement weather and the buses are canceled, you still need to indicate your child's absence in the system. If you drive your child to school, they will need to get picked up (in the school yard) at the end of the day.
Construction is ongoing, the masons have started installing the brick, but we are far from finished with this project. All the windows needing replacement have been installed, we now wait for the carpenters to finish the interior work.
Have a wonderful month of January!
The Wizard of Oz Production
• Wednesday, January 11,2023 is the first day of rehearsals. All CAST please meet in the gym at the first recess/lunch break. A few of our actors may be missing due to extended holidays.Those who miss will catch up when they return.
• Every role in a production is meaningful and important. Our Directors will work hard to ensure everyone has their time to shine on stage.
• Our Directors will be working behind the scenes to write in additional material (lines, singing, dancing) so we can provide additional opportunities for our actors if needed. Please be patient as this process takes time.
• Cast can practice at home by listening and singing to musical tracks with vocals from the musical. The tracks can be found on a Youtube search “The Wizard of Oz Young Performers Edition”
LET THE THEATER MAGIC BEGIN!
Our next meeting is Thursday January 19 at 6:30 in the staff room. Babysitting is provided. For people who would prefer to join us remotely, you can use this link Click here to join the meeting virtually.
Limestone Tutoring Resources January 9 – March 30
Monday – Thursday 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
As part of the Ministry of Education Tutoring Grant, LDSB is extending an afterschool drop-in Virtual Tutoring Program through the winter months for Limestone students in Grades 1 to 10.
Grade 1 to 6 - Build literacy and/or math skills. 3 tutors per night. (20 min sessions)
Grade 7 to 10 - Math skills and support. 3 tutors per night. (30 min sessions)
Grade 7 to 10 – Homework help. 2 tutors per night. (30 min sessions)
· Student must be logged in to MS Teams using their Limestone account.
· Click on link for age group and subject support. (links below)
· Sessions are on a first-come, first-served model.
· Wait in virtual lobby until tutor invites student into the session.
Grade 1-6 Literacy Link 1 Grade 7-10 Math Link 1
Grade 1-6 Literacy Link 2 Grade 7-10 Math Link 2
Grade 1-6 Literacy Link 3 Grade 7-10 Math Link 3
Grade 1-6 Math Link 1 Grade 7-10 HW Link 1
Grade 1-6 Math Link 2 Grade 7-10 HW Link 2
Grade 1-6 Math Link 3
See below for Guidelines.
1. The student must be logged in to MS Teams using their Limestone account. The student’s camera and microphone should be on so that the student and tutor can communicate effectively.
2. The student should have the materials they need with them (e.g., students should have their homework assignment). The student should try to set up in an area in the home with minimal distractions for the tutoring
3. If a tutor is already working with a student, subsequent students will be placed in the lobby of the meeting and then be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis once the tutoring session for the previous student is completed. Tutoring sessions for Grades 1-6 will be about 20 minutes long and may be extended, if no other students are waiting. For Grades 7-10 sessions will start at 30 minutes and may be extended if no students are waiting.
4. No tutoring on PA Days or Holidays.
Online Tutoring and Learning Resources
Several tutoring and learning resources are available online to support students and families, including:
- Ministry of Education Learn at Home
- Ministry of Education Curriculum and Resources for Parents
- TVO Learn at Home Resources (English) - Over 2,100 curriculum-aligned, grade, and subject-specific learning activities from Kindergarten to Grade 8 (including for the new Science and Technology curriculum) and Grade 9 to 12 searchable high school content for over 140 secondary school courses.
- TFO IDÉLLO, apprendre à la maison (French)
- TVO Mathify - Free 1:1 Grade 4 to 11 Math Tutoring with Ontario Certified Teachers. Available Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sundays 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Students/families can sign up, select a tutor, and start immediately.
Technology Support for Virtual School/Remote Learning
If you require technology support, please visit our Virtual School / Remote Learning Technology Support webpage.
Additional resources to support virtual learning options: