School Counseling Department
Quarter 3 Newsletter
All School Counselors at GVMS are proud to provide social/emotional, academic and career support to each and every child!
In honor of National School Counseling week, we are giving staff and students "The Top Ten Reasons to Visit Your School Counselor" bookmarks. They are located at various places in the school: Library, Cafeteria, Main Office, and School Counseling Office. Please encourage your students to take one for their reading enjoyment!
Student - Led Conferences
GIRLS ON THE RUN/ HEART & SOLE
"Girls on the Run/ Heart and Sole is coming to Gainesville Middle School!
GOTR is a physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. The program teaches life skills through dynamic interactive lessons and running games. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment, while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.
Starting the week on March 4th, the team will meet every Monday & Thursday from 3:00- 4:30PM. The program culminates in a celebratory 5k at the end of the season on the weekend of May 18th and 19th! The standard program fee is $175 and includes 20 lessons/practices, a t-shirt, water bottle, entry into the 5k, a 5k medal, and more.
Financial assistance is available for anyone who needs it, with the Ready to Run? Team and Participant Recruitment Tips lowest program registration cost being $22 for the season.
Registration begins on January 28th at www.gotrnova.org.
See below for flyers in both English and Spanish
Self Care Toolboxes
Thank you to Healing Hearts Mobile Art Studio for providing us with self care toolboxes to use with our students. We have already used some of these boxes for our 7th grade Stress Busters Group. Students loved them and were able to incorporate them with skills they've been learning.
Thank you to our Social Worker, Mrs. Brown, and 7th Grade Counselor, Mrs. Shelton for coordinating.
ATTENTION MILITARY FAMILIES
----------HIGH SCHOOL INFORMATION-------------
PATRIOT HIGH SCHOOL
Below is a copy of a parent letter and blank scheduling sheet.
Patriot High School Counseling Department will be here at Gainesville on FRIDAY, FEB. 8TH.
STONEWALL HIGH SCHOOL
Please view the video message below from Principal, Dr. Nichols.
Please read and review the power-point presentation entitled, "Rising 9th Grade Academic Advising" found below.
Stonewall Jackson High School Counseling Department will be at Gainesville on THURSDAY, FEB. 7TH
CLASSROOM GUIDANCE LESSONS
6th Grade: Lesson: Technology: Choice and Consequences
Dates: Weeks of Jan. 14-28
1. Students will learn to demonstrate responsible behavior and to the skills necessary to communicate and interact effectively when using computers, smart phones, the internet and social media.
2. Students will learn to apply critical thinking skills in the analysis of peer relationships and interactions online and in the real world.
3. Students will learn the real world implications of poor decisions made online and will understand how their personal feelings influence decisions and effect actions.
4. Students will be able to identify supportive peers who can assist them in times of difficulty and responsible adults who can assist them in times of difficulty and/or crisis.
8th Grade Lesson: Healthy Relationships
Dates: Weeks of February 4th and 11th
1. Students will learn about healthy and unhealthy relationships.
2. Students will be able to identify traits and characteristics that help differentiate if a relationship is healthy or unhealthy
3. Students will learn about the resources they can use for assistance when they are in an unhealthy relationship or find themselves being bullied or harassed.
7th Grade Lesson: Creating an Academic Career Plan
Dates: February 2019
1. Students will investigate graduation requirements.
2. Students will explore 16 Career Clusters.
3. Students will create an Academic Career Plan.
4. Students will explain the Academic Plan to Parent/Guardian.
In January, the Kindness Club completed the first phase of creating clay heart ornaments for the lovely residents of Tribute at Heritage Village in Gainesville.
Club members will complete the ornaments at our next meeting on February 4 and help deliver them to the facility before Valentine's Day.
If you are interested in joining the Kindness Club, we would love to have you!
Contact Ms. Kaczkowski for meeting dates/times and further information.
Registrar & School Counseling Secretary:
Mrs. Patty Lopez : firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of School Counseling & Co-Counselor 6-8:
Ms. Karen Mosley, M.Ed: email@example.com
6th Grade Counselor:
Mrs. Erin Tracy, MA : firstname.lastname@example.org 7th Grade Counselor:
7th Grade Counselor:
Mrs.Amy Shelton, M.Ed, MPH, RD: email@example.com
8th Grade Counselor:
Ms. Amy Kaczkowski, MSEd, NCC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Eboni Gadson, M.A./Ed.S., NCSP: email@example.com
School Social Worker:
Mrs. Melanie Brown, LCSW: firstname.lastname@example.org