School Board Update
November 9, 2021
AGENDA FOR THE November 16, 2021 SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
The agenda for the November 16 School Board Meeting is posted on BoardDocs at:
https://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/vpublic?open. Subject to change.
Meetings are available for viewing live on the APS website and broadcast on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FIOS Channel 41.
A. CLOSED MEETING – NONE
B. REGULAR MEETING OPENING – 7 PM
1. Call to Order
2. Presentation of Colors: Arlington Career Center AF JROTC Cadets Corps
C. CONSENT ITEMS:
2. Personnel Actions
3. Montessori Licensure Request Application
1. Board Announcements:
- November 17-19, 2021 - 2021 VSBA Annual Convention, Williamsburg Lodge
- November 30, 2021 - Closed Meeting, 5:30 PM, School Board Conference Room
- November 30, 2021 – School Board Meeting and Public Hearing on the Boundary Adjustments & Immersion Feeders for School Year 2022-23, 7 PM, School Board Room
- December 1, 2021 - School Board Legislative Virtual Meeting, 8:15 AM
2. Superintendent’s Announcements and Updates
E. PUBLIC COMMENT ON AGENDA AND NON-AGENDA ITEMS:
F. MONITORING ITEMS:
1. Update on the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Programs and Services, and the Arlington Tech Program
G. ACTION ITEMS:
1. Education Center Reuse Change to Construction Manager Advisor Contract
H. INFORMATION/ACTION ITEMS:
1. One-Time Employee Bonus Payment
I. INFORMATION ITEMS:
1. School Board Legislative Package
2. Annual Summer School Report
3. Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Clean School Bus Program Contract
4. Boundary Adjustments and Immersion Feeders
J. NEW BUSINESS:
Public Comment at School Board Meetings
Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour.
At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment. All speakers must sign up in advance and indicate whether they want to speak in person or to call into the meeting. A lottery process will continue to be used to select speakers if more requests than available slots are received.
Additional information will be posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
November Schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings
Thank You, APS Community, For Your Support!
APS & ACPD Memorandum of Understanding Development Process
APS is currently reviewing and updating the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Arlington County Police Department. The purpose of the MOU Development Process is to redefine and reimagine the relationship between APS and ACPD. The new MOU is currently being developed based on the recommendations from the SRO Work Group this past spring. On Monday, November 8, the final draft of the MOU will be posted online for public comment before it is finalized and shared with the School Board for approval.
The following is the MOU Development Process Timeline:
- The MOU development work began on August 30, 2021
- The final draft of the MOU will be posted for review on November 8, 2021.
- The community will have a 15-day public comment period until Nov. 23 to provide feedback on the final draft of the MOU.
- The final version of the MOU will be presented as a monitoring item at the December 2, 2021, School Board Meeting.
For additional information on the MOU Development Process and to access the MOU for public comment once it is available, please visit the APS and School Resource Officers section on the Engage webpage.
Glebe School - No Place for Hate
Police Participate in Fall 2021 Street Smart Campaign
To read more about the campaign go to https://www.arlingtonva.us/About-Arlington/News/Articles/2021/Police-Participate-in-Fall-2021-Street-Smart-Campaign
Fall 2021 Boundary Process Engagement
APS is currently preparing for the fall 2021 boundary process that will be limited in scope and focused on refinements to provide enrollment relief to three schools for the 2022-23 school year. The three schools that will receive relief from the boundary refinements are Abingdon Elementary School, Gunston Middle School, and Wakefield High School. The boundary process will bring enrollment at these three schools to more manageable levels for the 2022-23 school year by reassigning some planning units to neighboring schools with capacity to accommodate additional students.
Community engagement will take place from Oct. 15 to 31. Families can learn about the proposed changes and ask questions during the community engagement sessions. Staff will engage directly with the families affected by the boundary process to ensure they are aware of the proposals for the 2022-23 school year, and to gather information to aid in the planning process.
The School Board will hold a Public Hearing on the proposed boundary adjustments on November 30. The Board will act on the Superintendent’s Proposal for Boundary Adjustment for the 2022-23 School Year at the Dec. 2, 2021 meeting.
Information on the proposals and the community engagement schedule are available on the Fall 2021 Boundary Process webpage.
Share Your Comments on Draft School Board Policies
Review and comment on draft APS policies that are available for public comment on the APS Engage website. Comments can be provided by November 19 on the following draft policies:
School Board Open Office Hours
For the 2021-2022 school year, the School Board will hold Open Office Hours twice a month on Monday evenings or, due to holidays, Tuesday mornings. Open Office Hours is a forum for Board members to listen to comments and concerns, and to discuss various topics with community members. Each Board member will share what they heard during Open Office Hours with the entire Board and the Superintendent.
Board members will meet individually with participants to ensure everyone has the same opportunity to share their opinions. To participate, individuals must sign up ahead of time using the SignUpGenius link that will be posted on the APS homepage and at https://www.apsva.us/contact-the-school-board/open-office-hours/.
Volunteering at APS
Updated COVID Testing Requirements
Arlington Offering Free COVID-19 Vaccines for 5–11-Year-Olds
On Sat, Nov. 6, Arlington County Public Health will begin offering free COVID-19 vaccines by appointment to children ages 5–11 years old at Walter Reed Community Center and Arlington Mill Community Center. Clinics designated specifically for this age group will be held Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 13 and 14, from 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
This follows the expansion of Pfizer’s Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to children in this age group, and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Virginia Department of Health (VDH).
“The Pfizer vaccine has been shown to be safe and effective in preventing COVID-19 in children. This approval is a critical step towards protecting our kids and keeping other vulnerable community members safe. We encourage all parents to get their children vaccinated when they become eligible,” said Dr. Reuben Varghese, Arlington County Public Health Director.
Find a Vaccine for Your Child
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for 5–11-year-olds will be available at Arlington County Public Health Division clinics and pharmacies, searchable through Vaccines.gov. Your child’s pediatrician may also offer the vaccine.In the early weeks of distribution, vaccine supply may be limited. As supplies increase, so too will appointment availability.
Arlington County Public Health Division COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Scheduling
Arlington County’s Public Health Division is offering free walk ins and scheduled appointments to individuals 12 and up. View schedule at https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/registration/
Please note: Children 17 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to receive their free COVID-19 vaccine.
How to Contact APS
- NEW Family Information Line (703-228-8000) – APS now has a central Family Information Line to assist families with questions concerning transportation, Virtual Learning Program, registration, Extended Day food services, technology, or general questions. This line is open on school days from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Transportation will take calls from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call and are sent to voicemail, leave a message and someone will respond to you within 24 hours.
- Engage with APS – email@example.com remains the contact for providing input on current APS initiatives.
- Contact Your School – For specific school-based issues or concerns regarding students, families are encouraged to contact their child’s school directly so the issue can be quickly resolved.
For more information on who to contact, please visit the Contact APS webpage.