Alternate energy source By: Peyton Whisnant
Above is a solar panel
I'm sure you all know what they look like, but some kinds might suprise you! A solar panel is made up of many solar cells, (the squares) these cells collect Photons (the suns energy) and turn them into energy.
That is a map of sun exposure to the U.S.
As you can tell the southern portions of the United States is very good for solar energy. Wilmington NC, is the northern most city on the east coast to be in the great (the bright yellow) category in sun exposure.
Is solar energy cost effective?
The science of solar energy is fairly young. That can make the initial price high, which it is. But it is cost effective for the long run. Think about it, do you have to pay to have sunlight brought to your house? No, and the U.S. government under "George W. Bushes energy plan for America" allows any individual who gets a solar panel on their house is eligible for a tax rebate and the left over energy is energy that is taken off your meter.
How do solar panels work?
- Every day, light hits your roof’s solar panels with photons (particles of sunlight).
- The panel converts those photons into electrons of direct current DC electricity. Naturally, the sunnier it is, the more energy is produced by the panels.
- Those produced electrons flow out of the panel and into an inverter and other electrical safety devices.
- The inverter converts that DC power into alternating current or AC power. AC power is the kind of electric juice that your television, computer, and toasters use when plugged into the wall outlet.
- A bi-directional meter keeps track of the all the power your solar system produces. Any solar energy that you don’t use immediately will go back into the grid through the meter. Then at night or on cloudy days, that extra solar juice is credited back to your bill. So, net metering is similar to having a virtual battery-back up system.
- Doesn't take up any useful space
- Can be used for one or more jobs
- $$$ saves you money on your taxes $$$
- Virtually free
- Doesn't emit greenhouse gasses
- Most flexable type of energy in the world (able to use/apply on virtually anything)
How Solar Energy Panels Work
- How do solar panels create electricity?
- What is the molecule of energy that the sun produces?
- By attracting the flow of electrons to the negitive side of the panel.
- A photon.
How Solar Works
Lets review again!
- What are the two ways that people can pay for you to use solar energy?
- What is the type of energy that solar panels create?
- What does the DC energy have to go through to go through to become AC? DC+_= AC
- Government rebates and utility bills
- DC or direct current
- A transformer
I do not have any citations because i did not go on any websites i simlply read the the owners manual on solar energy.