On Wings of Excellence
Dear Andrews Family
We look forward to seeing many of you at our PTA Spring Fling tonight, 5:30-8:00 PM! The weather is supposed to be beautiful, and it is always so much fun to enjoy food and games with our Andrews community. We hope you will come and take part in the festivities!
Please remember that no visitors will be allowed in our building next week (May 9-13) due to STAAR testing. Also, we do not have any after-school programs or tutoring taking place during the upcoming STAAR week. All students will be need to be picked up when school concludes at 2:45 PM.
Don't forget that tomorrow is Election Day for the 2016 Plano ISD Bond Election. For more information, please visit www.pisd.edu/2016bond.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Joy Lovell, Principal
Monday, May 9th - 13th
- No visitors allowed in the building all week due to STAAR testing
Monday, May 9th
- STAAR testing - 3rd/4th grade math and 5th grade math re-test
Tuesday, May 10th
- STAAR testing - 3rd/4th grade reading and 5th grade reading re-test
Wednesday, May 11th
- National School Nurse Day
- STAAR testing - 5th grade science
Thursday, May 12th
- STAAR make-ups
Friday, May 13th
- STAAR make-ups
STAAR Testing Reminders
▪ STAAR Testing Dates – The second round of state STAAR testing will take place next week, May 9th - May 13th. Math STAAR will be given to all 3rd and 4th graders on Monday, May 9th. Reading STAAR will be taken by 3rd/4th grade on Tuesday, May 10th. Science STAAR will be taken by 5th grade on Wednesday, May 11th. Make-up testing days will be held on 5/12 and 5/13 if needed.
▪ No Visitors/Volunteers/Tutoring/After-School Clubs - Week of 5/9-5/13 - In order to ensure a safe and secure testing environment, this week our school will be shut down to visitors and volunteers. Additionally, there will be no tutoring or after-school clubs held this week. Please plan accordingly to pick your child up at normal dismissal time of 2:45 p.m. during this week. Thank you!
▪ Lunches - Parents, we would immensely appreciate your help by NOT bringing your child’s lunch to school on the STAAR testing days. If you must still bring a lunch, please deliver it to the front foyer lunch bins 10 minutes prior to lunch time.
▪ Cell Phones - Cell phones cannot be accessible to students. Students will be required to give the phone to their teacher after powering it completely OFF, and the teacher will store them in a secure location for the day. The best choice would be to simply leave any cell phones at home for the day, if possible.
▪ Building Temperature - Because of the varying temperature in the building, we suggest that students bring a light jacket to school in case the classroom is chilly.
Optional Parent Information due on May 13th
We recognize that it is that time of year when parents begin to think about teacher assignments for the 2016-2017 school year. I want to take this opportunity to share some information with you about how the class creation process works here at Andrews for grades 1-5. (Kindergarten will utilize a different system, and parents will learn more about that process at our Eagles' Nest event for kinder parents on May 4th at 3:15 in the Andrews library.)
Assigning students to classrooms is a very detailed and time-intensive process for all of our teachers. Each grade level spends countless hours in May and June, looking at each child individually as they place him/her in a class for the following year. Many factors are considered during this process, including student learning styles, teaching styles, personalities, amount of structure needed, emotional needs, etc. This list could go on and on! I share this information with the hope that this deeper understanding allows you to have trust in this process. I want for you to realize that class lists are never something computer-generated - instead, they are the result of MUCH intensive labor!
Please know that it is not necessary to send anything in regard to the teachers for your children next year. We do realize that most families do not feel the need to make any special requests. You can be assured that we will be extremely diligent in carefully considering every student's needs and learning style as we form classes for the 2016-2017 school year.
In the event that you desire to share a special request with me regarding the teacher with whom your child is placed next year, please know that we will not accept requests that include a specific teacher name. Instead, please submit (in writing) information about the type of teacher who you feel would be the best match for your child. Having this information about teacher characteristics is much more helpful than a name for many reasons, one of which is the fact that changes take place among the teaching staff on grade levels each year. If you choose to submit teacher characteristics, I need to receive your written information no later than Friday, May 13, 2016 in order to utilize it as we begin the 2016-17 class formation process.
As always, thank you for your ongoing support and dedication to learning at Andrews Elementary! Your partnership makes all the difference as we work together for your children's success on this educational journey!