Chase County 4-H Newsletter
· May 30 Memorial Day-EXTENSION OFFICE CLOSED
· June 1 Livestock ID Deadline
· June 1 Livestock DNA Due to Office (State Fair Exhibitors)
· June 1 YQCA ‘In Person’ Training, Methodist Church, Imperial, 10 AM-12 PM
· June 2 YQCA ‘In Person’ Training, Sabrina's Home and Paint, Wauneta, 10 AM-12 PM
· June 8 YQCA ‘In Person’ Training, Extension Office, Grant, 10 AM-12 PM
· June 13 Chase County 4-H Council, Extension Office, 7 PM
· June 15 4-H Enrollment/Project Selection Deadline
· June 15 State Fair Livestock Nomination Deadline (Families enter online)
· June 22 Chase County Clothing Entries Due
· June 25 Silver Spurs Horse Show, Imperial
· June 28 YQCA ‘In Person’ Training, Extension Office, Imperial 10 AM-12 PM
· June 22-23 PASE, Lincoln NE
· July 1 YQCA Training Deadline (Quality Assurance)
· July 6 Chase County Pre-Fair Entries Due
· July 9-13 State 4-H Horse Show, Grand Island
· July 13 Clothing/Fashion Show Judging, Imperial, 9 AM
*ATTENTION-ALL MARKET LIVESTOCK EXHIBITORS*
All Livestock Exhibitors planning to show or sell MARKET LIVESTOCK (Market Swine, Market Beef, Market Sheep, Market Goats) at the Chase County Fair and/or Nebraska State Fair are required to take YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) every year. The YQCA site looks different this year! If you have used the site previously, your account information remains the same. Please note-YQCA is a requirement. There are different options to meet YQCA requirements:
· In-Person Training
o If you are not showing beyond Chase County, simply call the office to register for one of the training dates-308-882-4731. All In-Person training times 10 AM-Noon.
o If you are showing beyond Chase County (Nebraska State Fair, Aksarben, Denver Stock Show, Etc.) you will need to register for the training online, complete a pre survery, post survey, print your certificate with your YQCA number on it and bring it to the office. The registration cost is $3.00 to be paid online with a credit card. YQCA (yqcaprogram.org)
· Online Training
o Youth may take the YQCA class online. Go to YQCA (yqcaprogram.org) and log in. Make sure to take the online class that matches the youth’s 4-H age (as of January 1, 2022). When the online class has been passed, print the certificate with the YQCA number and bring it to the office.
· Test Out Option
o Testing out is available online only. If you test out, please bring the certificate to the office.
· Need help with the online site? Help documents are available here: Youth & Parents (yqcaprogram.org)
· For questions or more information, contact Debbie- Debbie.firstname.lastname@example.org or 308-289-5160.
ALL Livestock ID Sheets Due June 1
June 1 is right around the corner! Here is what you need to know:
- All Livestock ID Sheets are due to the Extension Office ('Livestock' includes Market Beef, Breeding Beef, Stocker/Feeder, Bucket Calf, Dairy, Market Goat, Breeding Goat, Dairy Goat, Market Sheep, Breeding Sheep, Market Swine, Breeding Swine).
- Include ANY/ALL Animals the exhibitor may show on the ID Sheet. Youth are not required to decide which animal they will be showing at this point (that comes with PRE-FAIR ENTRY in JULY).
- All Family Members Should be on the Same ID Sheet. List all siblings on the same sheet. They will designate which animal they are showing at Pre-Fair Entry in July.
- Photos. Since we hand out tags from the office, I would like to see photos of tags in ears by June 1. If the animal was tagged at a weigh in (or at Burge's Pig Sale, since we tagged hogs at the sale) they do not need pictures. All other animals who have received tags need to submit a picture of tags in ears (need to be able to read the tag # and see that it has been put in an animal) with the ID sheets on June 1.
- Unused Tags-Please return all unused tags to the office.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
When do we have to know what animal we are showing? Only animals listed on the ID sheets are eligible to be shown. List all animals you may show. You will need to know which animal each child is showing at Pre-Fair Entry (paper forms that are handed out at the end of June and due back to the office on July 6).
What happens if the animal we have chosen to show and entered dies? What if it is too wild to show? Substitutions may be made following July 6. Only animals listed on the ID sheet will be considered for a substitution.
Where do I get ID Sheets and tags? ID Sheets (affidavits) can be picked up at the office or found on the 4-H Livestock Resources website (link below). Tags are available at the office.
What if I decide to show at State Fair? All State Fair animals must be NOMINATED by the Exhibitor/Family by June 15. See 4-H Livestock Resources link below. DNA samples for Market Animals must be to the office by June 15 (envelopes available at the office). All State Fair Exhibitors need a Premises ID. After animals are nominated, families need to ENTER animals online for State Fair by August 10.
What if I can't show my animal at the fair because I am hurt? A substitute showman may show for you. The showman has to be an active 4-H/FFA member exhibiting at the fair.
What if I can't be at the sale to sell my livestock? The Species Superintendent may approve a substitute showman to sell your animal. The showman has to be an active 4-H/FFA member exhibiting at the fair.
Questions? Call the office or email Debbie! email@example.com
Enrollment Deadline Approaching!
Don’t forget! Any youth planning to participate in the county fair or the Nebraska State Fair must be enrolled by June 15! To enroll or learn more about enrolling, visit the UNL Extension in Perkins-Chase Website:
*Please note, ALL enrollments are to be done on the UPGRADED 4HOnline site-v2.4honline.com
Clothing Fashion Show Entries Due-June 22!
All Clothing and Fashion Show entries are due to the office on June 22. The Clothing/Fashion Show judging will take place in Imperial, 9 AM, July 13. Location: United Methodist Church, 420 Holland St, Imperial, NE 69033
State Fair Livestock Exhibitors DNA Deadline/Livestock Nomination Deadline
All State Fair Livestock Exhibitors, DNA submissions are due to the office by June 15. All livestock to be exhibited at State Fair must be nominated by June 15. Nomination instructions can be found here: https://4h.unl.edu/3_4HPrograms/c_AnimalScience/2022%20Step-by-Step%20Nomination%20Instructions.pdf
Silver Spurs Horse Show
Memorial Day, May 30, 2022
Chase County Club News:
The Challengers 4-H Club met on Sunday March 20, 2022, at the Champion Community Center. We discussed carnival booth games, community service projects, and when we will go to Grant for a skating event. We also elected officers for the 2022 year. Officers are President-Carter Kuenning, Vice President- Aidan Tomky, Secretary- Violet Sparrow, Treasure-Avery Beemer, News Reporter-Emmie Beemer, Snack Chairman-Luke Kuenning
Submitted by Emmie Beemer
Livestock Judging Team
The Livestock Judging Team placed 1st at the Scotts Bluff County Contest. Navy Havel was High Point Individual and 1st high in Beef. Jayme Gittlein was 3rd High Individual and 1st High in Sheep and goats. Odessa Zadina, 5th High Individual, 1st high swine and 1st overall reasons. Anyone interested in Livestock Judging should contact Regan Gittlein: 308-414-2012