The Eagle's Call 🦅
Friday, December 10th, 2021
From Principal Tim Huber
Harris Creek Eagles: Showing Empathy
This week I had the opportunity to drop in on a Student Equity Ambassadors meeting in the cafeteria. Led by School Counselor Ms. Krauss, the students were working in small groups to brainstorm how they can show empathy to others. Not only was I impressed by their beautiful, thoughtful ideas, but also the large number of students present! Ms. Krauss shared that she had an overwhelming response from students interested in being part of the group. This demonstrates how much your children care for others! I am so proud of our community for the love and care we show for each other. Our Student Equity Ambassadors set the example for Eagles of all ages. Our teachers and support staff across grade levels also incorporate teaching empathy throughout daily activities. Here's just one child-focused resource, developed with support of the Harvard Graduate School, that you can use with your children at home: 5 Tips for Cultivating Empathy.
Thank you for your continued support of your children and our school. Together, we will help our children SOAR to reach their greatest potential!
Welcome New Staff Members! 🎉
- Hannah Namkung, 1st grade Track 4 Teacher (starts 12/14)
- Kathy Jannotta, Track 3 CCR Teacher (former HCES Kindergarten Instructional Assistant)
- Mikaylynn Tinnerman, Track 1 5th grade Teacher (replaces Crystal Wilson, starts with class on 1/3)
- Gabriela Arroliga, 4th grade Track 4 Teacher (starts with newly formed class on 1/24)
- Jordan Poole, Dance/Yoga/Mindfulness Teacher (classes, titled "Creek Core", began this week, see below for more!)
NEW Specials Class Alert: Creek Core! 🧘♂️🧘♀️
I am so thrilled to get to know you and your students more as Creek Core classes begin.
We will be focusing on things like mindful movements (dance, yoga, breathing exercises) & mindful thinking (practicing gratitude/SEL incorporated lessons).
Please remind students to wear/bring socks (if possible) on Creek Core days so we can get as much out of the yoga mats as possible!
My hope is that students will be able to take things learned inside my classroom and apply them to other areas in their life. Whether that looks like practicing grounding techniques or showing kindness and empathy for others- overall we plan to do a lot of moving so they should be relaxed and ready for the day!
ACTION REQUESTED: Restart Your Child's WCPSS Chromebook Weekly 💻
WCPSS Technology Services has seen an increase in security issues due to WCPSS devices not being restarted regularly. Restarting a device allows updates for new security and productivity features.
Students and staff should restart their WCPSS devices once per week. Consider setting a specific day for this, such as a Restart Wednesday or Restart Friday. (Important: Closing the lid only locks the device and does not shut it down.)
Restarting also can resolve many other common issues impacting student devices. Always restart a WCPSS device before contacting the Help Desk.
PTA Updates 🤝
- [NEW]☕🍫 We are planning a hot cocoa bar for teachers on December 22. Parents can sign up to bring items such as cocoa, marshmallows, fuzzy socks, bath bombs, or simply make a monetary donation using the SignUpGenius link. Items must be dropped off at the school by December 20.
- PTA Angel Fund: Please consider a donation to fund field trips for other Eagles! Click the link to donate: all donations go towards funding individual students for future field trips
- Check out the School Spirit Wear Online Store!
- Help Stock The Teacher's Lounge! 😋
- Join the PTA online
- Follow the Harris Creek Elementary PTA Facebook page
Transportation Information 🚌🚗
We have made the following updates to the morning carpool procedure:
- Students exit vehicles starting at 8:42 and wait at the door until 8:45
- Students who are able to exit vehicles on their own will do so; if your student needs assistance, please turn on your vehicle's hazard lights
- The entire sidewalk all the way up to the light pole will be used to allow as many cars to be unloaded concurrently
Remember that students arriving after 9:15 must be signed in by an adult upon arrival.
Bus Tracking App
Please use the Here Comes the Bus app (App Store or Google Play Store) to monitor the location of your student’s bus and when it is approaching his/her stop. To sign up: https://herecomesthebus.com/parents/get-started/ . The WCPSS school code for school bus tracking is 67500. You will need to use your child's student ID number as well.
You can also follow @HCESBuses on Twitter to confirm when your child's bus leaves campus each afternoon.
Resources to Support Health And Wellness 😃
WCPSS Volunteer Registration
Health and Wellness Reminders ♥
COVID-19 VACCINE: Vaccines are now available for children ages 5+. Wake County Public Health encourages parents to protect their children aged 5-17 with the COVID-19 vaccine – it's safe, effective, and available at no cost. Read more about the vaccine for kids: Pfizer-BioNTech (ages 5+). Wake County Public Health is offering special kids-only vaccine days. Families can go to WakeGov.com/kids to sign up. Pediatrician offices, pharmacies and children's hospitals are also providing vaccine appointments for children in Wake County. Visit https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/vaccines/kids to find a vaccine near you.
NOTIFICATION REMINDER: If your child or a household member receives a positive COVID test or if they are exposed to someone with COVID, please notify your child’s teacher and an administrator right away. An administrator will reach out to assist with next steps. View wcpss.net/WhenToReturn for requirements to return after a COVID-19 diagnosis, exposure, or symptoms.
TYPES OF APPROVED FACE COVERINGS: The link to guidance on approved types of face coverings can be found here. Mask compliance (over the nose, covering mouth, under the chin) is important. You can continue to help by ensuring your child’s mask is as comfortable as possible, while meeting the criteria for an approved face covering.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our kids in school!
We're Hiring! 🏫
- 1st grade Instructional Assistant, Track 3
- Special Education (ECS2) Instructional Assistant, Track 4
- Special Education (ECS1) Instructional Assistant, Track 4
- Kindergarten Instructional Assistant, Track 3, available 1/1/2022
How to Easily Set Your WCPSS Communication Preferences
We recognize that you may be receiving a large volume of communication and we want to make sure you always see the information you need the most!
Set your SchoolMessenger message preferences by creating a SchoolMessenger Parent account. With this account you can select what information you receive and how you would like to receive it. You can create your account by downloading the SchoolMessenger app on your mobile device or go to https://go.schoolmessenger.com/.
- Use the email address entered for your student in PowerSchool to sign up.
- Most messages from Mr. Huber and WCPSS are sent as email and text using the General School Info broadcast.
- To receive text messages, text YES to 67587.
- For more information and instructions on how to create an account, visit: https://www.wcpss.net/schoolmessenger.
Upcoming Dates to Remember 📆
- Dec 23-Jan 2: Winter break (no school for students)
- Jan 3: Track 4 students track out begins, Track 1 students track in
- Jan 17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no school for students)