News from Sundling Junior High
October 2, 2020
Letter from the Principal
Hello Sundling Families,
Happy October! It is hard to believe that we will be finishing up the first quarter of school next week, on Friday, October 9th. Please be aware that 1st quarter Progress Reports will be available for families to view on Friday, October 16th. If you should have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your child's teacher.
I want to thank all of our students, families, and staff for pulling together and supporting each other during the past few months of virtual learning. It has not been an easy few months, but I can say that we have all learned to adapt, remain flexible, and go with the flow of an everchanging landscape. As we move into the 2nd quarter of school, I am hopeful to see continued growth and progress from all of our students, whether in person or virtual. The staff and administration are appreciative of your continued support, patience, and feedback. We could not do this without the support and help of our Sundling families and community.
There are several resources within this newsletter to support families. Please continue to reach out to me, Mr. Rice, or your child's classroom teacher with ways we can support you and your child.
Thanks for all of your continued support of our school! It’s a Great Day to be a Paladin! #sundlingstrong
Take care and stay well,
Return to In Person Learning- 10/13/2020
I wanted to share some additional details/information for our in person learning that are specific to Sundling:
1) All students, whether in person or virtual, will follow their normal daily class schedule, as they have virtually for the past few months. Students will be working with many, if not all, of the same teachers that they started the school year with. The school day will start at 7:50am and end at 2:30pm.
2) For those returning in person, please refer to the Junior High Hybrid Schedule and report to school on those days (A or B Days).
3) Transportation information will be available in Infinite Campus Parent Portal on Thursday, October 8th. As a reminder, due to COVID-19 no change requests will be accepted this year.
4) Lunch- Students will have a hot lunch option available if needed, or they can bring a lunch from home. Students will eat their lunch in classroom spaces, and will be seated 6 feet apart. Students will assist our supervisors in cleaning of their eating space at the end of the lunch period.
5) Students will be moving from class to class during the school day. Teachers and students will work together to sanitize desks between each class period. Students will follow social distance guidelines as they move through the halls. Staff will assist with supervision.
6) No Lockers will be used this school year. Students should carry their items in a back pack or draw string bag. Students will carry their belongings from class to class.
7) Water Fountains will not be in use. Please have your child bring a water bottle to school each day. If water is needed at any time, the office staff can provide that.
8) Please have your child carry an extra mask (or two) in their backpack or draw string bag.
9) School Supplies Needed- Charged Chromebook (DAILY), 2-3 notebooks, and writing utensils (pens and pencils) to start the quarter. Students will not be sharing supplies. If a student is in need of any supplies, our office staff can assist.
10) Our staff will self-certify students on the first two days of in person learning (10/13 & 10/14) and provide a lanyard and self-certification card to each student. This self-certification card will need to be completed and signed by a parent daily. Lanyards need to be worn to show self certification.
11) Chromebooks must be charged each night.
Notes From The Nurse
Welcome to all of our new 7th graders and to those students who have just registered this year. We have been busy preparing for your safe return to in- person learning and look forward to the day when that happens!
Even though we are all virtual now, the health requirements for all new students are due by October 15th, 2020. I have sent letters out to some families to let them know what is still needed but for most students, your health records from elementary are here and you are all set!
To be safe, we will not start this school year with sports teams. However a sports physical will be required for all students who want to try out for any sport throughout the entire year. It might be wise to call your health care provider and schedule an appointment for a well child examination soon!
If you want your student to have medication available at school, the doctor’s forms are available on the CCSD15 web site. A doctor’s order is necessary for all medication from over the counter pain relievers to midday prescription medication. For those families who want emergency epinephrine at school for their student’s severe allergy, an Emergency Action Plan signed by your doctor is required.
Please feel free to call me with any questions or issues you might have. I am here to help!
Tricia Prebil RN
Sundling Health Office
From the PTA President, Gretchen Elzer
A BIG thank you to all our Sundling families who came out and supported our Stan's Donut Event on Saturday, September 12th. The weather was not delightful, but the donuts sure were! Our event was a huge success and we sold out of donuts in 1.5 hours! We're hoping to have Stan's back at Sundling in the future.
Please consider joining our PTA!
We have the ability to accept online memberships via https://sundlingpta.new.memberhub.store/store There is a Memberhub service change of 75¢ (Individual) and 92¢ (Household) to join online.) -OR-
· Return this form to the school office in an envelope marked “PTA MEMBERSHIP” along with exact cash or check (payable to: “Sundling PTA”) Sundling Jr. High will be open during school hours or you can mail to: Sundling Jr. High 1100 N. Smith Rd. Palatine, IL 60067
A shout out to all our families who have become a PTA member! THANK YOU!
If you haven't already, please take a few minutes to complete our PTA Survey. We want to hear from you and how WRS PTA can support our families and community better. https://forms.gle/chT8rKPLDe5VtV4s8
Gretchen Elzer PTA President
Elsa Hall PTA President Elect
SCHOOL SPIRIT TASTES GREAT!! WRS PTA Chipotle Dine & Share
Make dinner a selfless act by joining us for a fundraiser to support Sundling Jr. High. Come in to the Chipotle at 781 E Dundee Rd in Palatine on Wednesday, October 14th between 5:00pm and 9:00pm. Bring in this flyer, show it on your smartphone or tell the cashier you’re supporting the cause to make sure that 33% of the proceeds will be donated to Sundling Jr. High.
NEW! ORDER ONLINE FOR PICKUP
Use code EJFWEEE before checkout in ‘promo’ field. Orders placed on Chipotle.com or through the Chipotle app for pickup using this unique code will be counted towards the fundraiser.
All online orders must be placed for pickup at the same time/location of the fundraiser. Delivery cannot be counted at this
time. Gift card purchases during fundraisers do not count towards total donated sales, but purchases made with an existing gift card will count.
The WRS PTA appreciates your support!
WRS PTA Membership
Sign up online at: https://sundlingpta.new.memberhub.store/store (There is a MemberHub service change of 75¢ (Individual) and 92¢ (Household) to join online.) -OR-
Return the form (attached to the email) to the school office in an envelope marked “PTA MEMBERSHIP” along with exact cash or check (payable to: “Sundling PTA”) Sundling Jr. High will be open during school hours or you can mail to:
Sundling Jr. High 1100 N. Smith Rd. Palatine, IL 60067
Membership Questions can be directed to Karen Salata and Amy Stojkovich at SundlingPTAMembership@gmail.com.
WRS PTA Reflections
I hope your student got a jump start this summer on what the Reflections theme means to them. The 2020-2021 Reflections theme is I Matter Because… Fill in the blank and let us know either through something written with words or expressed through dance or music or show us with photography or artwork.
The Reflections arts contest is a National PTA program supporting the arts in education. Please email me for the registration form or any of the rules. The categories are: Dance choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, and Visual Arts. Submissions are due October 28, 2020.
Sundling PTA Reflections Chair
DISTRICT 15 HELPLINE AVAILABLE
Do you need help and are not sure who to contact? Do you have concerns or worries about yourself or others? The District 15 helpline is only a call or text away Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Our student services staff are available during these stressful times. Call or text:
Calls or texts received outside of these hours will be answered the following workday. You can reach out about multiple topics, including but not limited to:
Social or emotional concerns;
Resources such as food, housing and transportation; or
Ideas on how to support your child
Internet Service Provider Assistance Programs
Community Consolidated School District 15 recognizes that providing internet at home may represent a financial hardship for some families. Internet providers recognize this need as well and have programs in place for qualifying families:
To locate additional companies that offer low-cost internet, please visit:
Our community also offers free Wi-Fi at various locations. Find links to locations in our community and surrounding areas that offer free Wi-Fi: