Faithful Citizenship Newsletter
St. Dominic's Social Action Committee - September 2019
Friends of Immigrants Meetings - September 3 & October 1
The October 1st meeting will be at 7:00pm in St. Dominic's Large Meeting Room. Bring a friend!
Discover the Risen Christ with Project Serve
Registration required for these activities!
- Warrensville Developmental Center: Tuesday, September 3. Contact Tim Sokal: TSokal@stdominincschool.net
- Matt Talbot Potluck: Saturday, September 7. Contact Kate Gill: K8Gill@icloud.com
- St. Al's Meal Ministry: Tuesday, September 10. Contact Tim Sokal: TSokal@stdominicschool.net
- Thea Bowman Center: Saturday, September 14. Contact Carl Massey: CMassey@jcu.edu
- Ronald McDonald House: Saturday, September 14. Contact Susan Walters: Chagal65@gmail.com
- Cleveland Food Bank: Thursday, September 19. Contact Mia Ruffing: MiaRuffing@hotmail.com
- St. Herman's House: Saturday, September 21. Contact Greg Kuta: Greg@westlinecapital.com
- Joseph's Home Dinner: Saturday, September 21. Contact P.J. Reindel: PJPServe@gmail.com
- West Side Catholic Center: Saturday, September 28. Contact Toni LoPresti (Breakfast): ToniLoPresti@gmail.com or Adele Keim (dinner): AdeleKeim4013@gmail.com
- Project Serve Families: Saturday, September 28. Contact Vanessa Coppa: VanessaTram@gmail.com
Project Serve Prayer
Lord, When I am hungry, send me someone to feed;
When I am thirsty, send me someone who needs a drink;
When I am cold, Lord, send me someone to warm;
And When I am sad, send me someone to cheer.
Lord, When I need understanding,
send me someone who needs my understanding;
When I need to be looked after,
send me someone for whom to care;
And when I think only of myself,
Lord, draw my thoughts to another.
Lord, Bless our time together at __________.
Help us to recognize that it is in giving that we receive.
Open our eyes to your presence through our shared time
with our sisters and brothers at Project Serve.
Finally, Lord, Grant me the grace to pray
as though everything depends on You;
And to serve as though
everything depends on me.
Storytellers Featuring Mr. Christopher Kerr
Storytellers is a St. Dominic ministry featuring civic, political, business, and religious leaders from our community offering stories of faith, family, work, and life. These stories weave hope, humor, and triumph together to inspire listeners. St. Dominic is pleased to welcome Mr. Christopher Kerr as our next Storyteller on Wednesday, September 25 at 7:00pm in the Large Meeting Room. Chris is the Executive Director of the Ignatian Solidarity Network, a global non-profit that networks, educates, and forms advocates for social justice animated by the spirituality of Ignatius Loyola and the Jesuit martyrs of El Salvador. Chris’s talk is entitled, “Seeking a Culture of Hospitality: Reflections from the US-Mexico Border.”
Do join us for Chris’s talk about social justice, immigration, border policy, and what we can do to help those on the margins.
As always, refreshments will be provided.
Open Wide Our Hearts: Moving Towards a World of Racial Justice
The day includes special breakout sessions on Advocacy, Institutional Racism, Forsakenness Theology, Understanding Personal Bias, Interfaith Collaboration, Encountering Christ in Harmony - An Asian Perspective, Journey of Hispanic Spirituality, plus more.
Registration required $20/person (students are free) by visiting http://www.catholiccommunity.org/racial-justice
Juma Cafe & Boutique Fundraiser benefitting El Salvador
Save the date: the next Juma fundraiser is scheduled for Sunday, December 15th.
Please visit Juma at 20100 Chagrin Blvd to support our mission program. Justice and Love in each cup!