The B.Y.E. Buzz
January 16, 2023
January 16 New Information
We have the opportunity to learn more about Internet Safety and Child Abuse. Join us on Tuesday night at 6pm. We will be meeting with families from Shaw Elementary and teaming up with the Children's Safety Center to learn more about keeping our kids safe.
- LAST CALL: This is the final week to purchase a yearbook. Sales end on Friday! Use the link below. There will be NO extra yearbooks ordered.
- No school on Monday, January 16 in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
- MAP testing will be over the next few weeks! Teachers will send specific testing dates for their class. Please remind your child to do their best but we also don't want students to be stressed out! This data helps teachers determine next steps. We will test in both reading and math (separate days).
- Save the Date! February class parties will be February 14th. Parties will have staggered start times. Parties last 45 minutes. Reminder that any food brought to the class party must be store bought.
- K, 2, 4 will begin at 1:30
- 1, 3, 5 will begin at 2:00
See you Tuesday!
Does your child have a phone? Access to the internet? Or even social media? f you answered yes to any of these questions, please join us Tuesday as we partnership with The Children’s Safety Center to host a special event discussing the topic of Internet Safety and Child Abuse Prevention.
Growing up in 2023 is way different and we must know more than our children when it comes to internet safety and child abuse. The Training will be held at Young Elementary from 6-7 pm on Tuesday, January 17th. The training will be offered in English and Spanish.
“When parents and children are equipped with tools, child abuse really is preventable!”
-The Children’s Safety Center
Calling all 2nd - 5th grade Chess Players. The Spring 2023 NWA Chess Tournament will be held on Saturday, February 18, 2023. The tournament is scheduled for 8:30 am - 3:00 pm and each student will play 5 games. Please print the registration form or pick one up from outside Ms. Taunton's room (Room 505). Registration forms need to be returned to Ms. Taunton on or before February 2nd.
Attendance is important! Have you ever thought about how it adds up? Please make sure your child is here each and every day they are healthy. If students are absent, send a medical note to the office or email to email@example.com so we can document the absence as excused.
Bernice Young Elementary is an A school according to the state report card system. Student attendance is part of the equation that determines that letter grade. Please help your child and our school by having your child at school each day they are healthy.
Report cards come home Tuesday
Report cards are coming home January 17th. Springdale schools uses a standards-based method, not an average of work each quarter. Students will be graded by the following:
4- Met end of year grade-level standards and may be ready to work at greater depth.
3- Expected to progress towards meeting end of year grade-level standards.
2- Less than expected progress toward meeting grade-level standards.
1- Little to no progress toward meeting grade-level standards.
N/A- Not assessed at this time
Please remember that all standards have not been taught at this time. There may not be an opportunity meet or be assessed on the end-of-year standard yet. If you have questions, please contact the classroom teacher.
Music Class Page
Check out information about Music from Mrs. Low. You will find program information, scripts and songs here!
Mrs. Ashley Nelson is our school counselor! You can reach out to her online classroom by clicking the picture OR you can submit a request for your child to see the counselor here.
Dads and Doors
- Click on the image to sign up for the Dads and Doors program!
- New January dates added!
Order Yearbooks by Friday!
School Yearbooks are now $30 and are sold from the Balfour site. Purchasing options will close on January 20th. Use the link to purchase. There will not be extra yearbooks. Order today.
B.Y.E. Upcoming Events
January 16- MLK Jr. Day (No School)
January 17- Report cards go home
January 17- Sexual Abuse Prevention and Internet Safety Training
February 8- Spring and Class Picture Day
February 20- Presidents Day (No school for students)
March 13-17 ELPA Test (English Language Learners)
March 20-24- Spring Break
April 7- 5th grade field trip
April 17-21 Act Aspire Assessment (3rd-5th grades)
May 25- Last Day of School
About our School
- Bernice Young Elementary was established in August 2000.
- School mascot is the Yellowjacket
- School colors are Red, Yellow, and Black
- National Blue Ribbon School 2020
- Principal- Christy Norwood
- Assistant Principal- Sara Kennedy
Location: 301 Pippin Apple Circle, Springdale, AR, USA